WINE GIFT BASKET
- Item #: i_200244Bottle Size: Basket 3-4 BtleNEWTON 2014 CABERNET SAUVIGNON The wine opens with dark, briary aromas of black currants and mulberries laced with aniseed and hints of violet. The palate is well proportioned with plush, juicy flavors. Dense, chocolaty tannins provide the framework for a persistent finish. A true Napa Valley Cabernet, this wine is a great match with grilled lamb chops, a tri-tip steak rubbed with rosemary and freshly ground pepper or venison served with pan sauce. Blend: 92% Cabernet Sauvignon, 3 % Cabernet Franc, 2% Petit Verdot, 2% Malbec, 1% Merlot MARTIN RAY 2016 PINOT NOIR The name Martin Ray resonates deeply in the history of California Winemaking. Martin Ray was a pioneer, dedicated to crafting single varietal, region specific wine from 1943 through 1972 in Saratoga, the heart of the Santa Cruz Mountains. Mentored by Paul Masson, he took a burgundian approach to his winemaking and developed what is now one of the most historical properties in California, known as Mount Eden.Nearly twenty years later, Courtney Benham stumbled upon 1500 cases of Martin Ray wine in a San Jose warehouse. Recognizing his good fortune, and his intent and drive to produce terroir driven wines, Ray's historical significance and philosophy resonated with him. Courtney purchased the brand, and since 1990 has been committed to the production of artisanal wines worthy of the Martin Ray Carefully chosen from various vineyards throughout the Russian River Valley and Carneros, this wine's largest components are grown only feet from the river itself, coming from Ricioli and Foppiano Vineyards. Building on a strong base from these vineyards, the wine is focused with fruit from a few select vineyards around the winery's home on Laguna Road, as well as Sangiacomo Vineyard in the Carneros appellation. The grapes were fermented separately in small open-top fermenters with gentle punch-downs. The fermentations were carefully maintained at moderate temperatures until dry, when the must was basket-pressed then pumped into barrels for completion of malolactic fermentation. Lots were aged for eleven months in new premium French oak barrels, along with more nuanced 1-2 year old barrels. This Pinot Noir exemplifies the expectations of what savvy consumers have come to look forward to from classic Sonoma County Pinot. The nose has notes of ripe elderberry, black cherry, aromatic wild rose, and spicy cola, with slightly earthy undertones. French oak barrels lend support with hints of creamy vanilla and toffee without overpowering the juicy, fruit-forward palate. DOM DROUHIN 2015 CHARDONNAY JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINT"A subtle and rich Pinot with dried-cherry and strawberry character. Medium to full-bodied and firm, silky tannins that are extremely well-integrated in the palate. Lovely finish. Drink or hold." Pinot Noir takes the spotlight in the Oregon wine world, that's just a fact. And when it comes to their white wines, Pinot Gris is center stage. That being said, it is this producer's Chardonnay has stunned us the past few vintages, and we think it's been the best white from Oregon in several years! Named for winemaker Veronique Drouhin-Boss' son, Arthur is produced entirely from estate fruit and is handmade at DDO's landmark gravity flow winery in the Dundee Hills. Their Chardonnay vines were planted in 1992 and are 100% Dijon clones, some of the oldest such plantings in Oregon. ANTONIO GALLONI'SVINOUS MEDIA- "(raised in a 50/50 combination of stainless steel tanks and French oak barrels, 20 percent of the oak new) Light gold. Intense, mineral-accented citrus and orchard fruits on the nose, complicated by hints of buttered toast and honeysuckle. Lush and creamy but focused as well, offering concentrated dried pear and peach flavors and a touch of bitter lemon pith. Turns firmer on the incisive finish, which repeats the citrus and mineral notes and leaves a hint of chamomile behind." ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCAT 91 POINTS - "The 2015 Chardonnay Estate Arthur offers notions of fresh grapefruit, warm pears and honeydew melon with suggestions of coriander seed, baking bread and clotted cream. Medium-bodied, with a lively line of invigorating acidity cutting through the intense citrus and spicy flavors, it has a pleasant creaminess to the texture and some minerals coming through on the finish."
- Item #: i_802075Bottle Size: Basket 5-6 BtleThis collectors basket contains a 750mL bottle of Lewis 2016 Mason's Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, a 750mL bottle of Nickel 2015 Stiling Vineyard Chardonnay, and assorted gourmet food items.
Note: Food items in basket are subject to change depending on availability. Replacement items will be of equal or greater value than the original item.
- Item #: i_200223Bottle Size: 750ML GIFT PACKMARTIN RAY 2014 CABERNET SAUVIGNON
Sourced heavily from the cool, southern Oak Knoll region, and blended with carefully selected pieces from some of Martin Ray's more revered premium Napa Valley vineyard sites, this wine exemplified the varied and complementary styles that define each sub-appellation. The diversity among the vineyards ultimately gives Martin Ray the advantage of being able to blend a wine that displays the intense aromas and flavors that are characteristic to each unique region.
The strong, traditional bouquet layers notes of ripe black cherry, cark cassis, aromatic violets, and savory curry spices rooted by earthy undertones. With clean fruit throughout the palate, this medium-bodied wine has well-structured tannins balanced by a nuance of toffee and caramel oak influence.
CHALK HILL CHARDONNAY
Since its founding, Chalk Hill has been producing artisan wines from their estate vineyards in the hills of northeastern Sonoma County. For four decades they have studied, prodded and coaxed our complex terroir to ensure that their estate wines deliver vivid aromatics, commanding flavors, great character and regional accuracy. While their 300+ acres of vineyards surrounding the winery will always be the cornerstone of Chalk Hill's identity, starting with the 2011 vintage, in addition to their estate Chardonnay, Chalk Hill started producing their first Sonoma Coast Chardonnay.
This 2017 Sonoma Coast Chardonnay comes from extraordinary vineyards throughout Sonoma County consisting primarily of Foley Family estate vineyards. This Chardonnay features fruit from some of the best sites in Carneros, Chalk Hill, and ouf course, Sonoma Coast. Rich, graceful and balanced are just some of the ways to describe this 2016 Sonoma Coast Chardonnay. The wine is a light golden color and exudes aromas of apple and baking spice immediately upon entering the glass. The palate has a rich textural body composed by zest and acidity with flavors of toasted hazelnut, vanilla and crème brulee. With its cool-climate influences, this Chardonnay has remarkable varietal intensity, balanced acidity and minerality that complement the rich and full flavors on the palate.
- Item #: i_200225Bottle Size: 750ml **LOUIS MARTINI CABERNET SAUVIGNON SONOMA COUNTY 750mL
Never being the kind to just rest on their laurels, the Louis Martini winery keeps making top-notch wine for exceptionally reasonable prices. Not only has this been a previous Hi-Time "Wine of the Month", but it has also been rated at the top of the restaurants list of greatest wines for the price! Heck…even wine critic Robert Parker called a previous vintage of this wine, "one of the great values in Cabernet Sauvignon in the marketplace".
For more than 70 years, Martini family winemakers have walked the hillside vineyards of Napa and Sonoma counties, searching for the most distinctive flavors of the best Cabernet Sauvignon grapes. Winemaker Michael Martini performs every aspect of winemaking by hand; no "wine factory" mentality, here! He blends small batches of mouth-filling wines (for this bottling, Alexander Valley and Dry Creek Valley) that can highlight the differences in the vineyards or balance their individual strengths in a marriage of flavor and structure.
The tannins make the young wine approachable but will still give it enough texture to age gracefully. This vintage had a long, calm growing season, helping create elevated and concentrated flavors that include wild berries, plum, licorice and mocha. The full-bodied and mouth-coating feel on the palate leads to a long, graceful finish with tones of intense fruit, dried herbs and cedar inside firm structure.
SHANNON RIDGE 2016 CHARDONNAY "HIGH ELEVATION" LAKE COUNTY 750mL
When the mercury starts its annual climb we know it's time for a wine just like this Shannon Ridge "High Elevation" Chardonnay. We need something refreshing and lively, not too heavy, loaded with flavor and easy on the wallet. This one has it all! We tried this a few months ago and were impressed with its across-the-board credentials. First, it's delicious. Second, the winery utilizes sustainable practices (including a flock of sheep that cleans the vineyards, removes the excess canopy, and reduces the need for chemicals, while providing natural fertilizer). Third, it drinks way over its price niveau, giving Chardonnay and white wine lovers a ton of "bang for the buck" (while synthesizing multiple elements found in the Chardonnay spectrum to create a greater whole). And with summer icumen in, this is what we'll be sipping on the porch, by the pool, on the boat or beach.
The High Elevation Collection is a careful blend of three appellations within Lake County. The clusters from High Valley bring citrus and acidity, the Red Hills Appellation contributes lush fruit and ripe characteristics, and Big Valley grapes add grassiness and mineral tones to these lively wines. The ABV is 13.8% and the wine sees 6 months in a mix of French and American oak.
The nose is luscious and rich with hints of Golden Delicious apple, creme fraiche, vanilla and coconut with background notes of cedar, oak and a slight citrus zest. The palate reveals mixed tropical fruits, from pineapple to plantain, all enwrapped in a medium body that is both rich yet lively with enough acidity to keep it aloft and refreshing. Light brown spices and toasty touches lead to a lengthy finish of sweet fruit and a touch of cream and minerality. You may have seen any number of wine memes across your social media account utilizing this quote from Galileo Galilei: "Wine is sunlight, held together by water." This Chard, with its panoply of scents, flavors and texture, is a hella good bottle to put next to it.
- Item #: i_200233Bottle Size: 750ml ***ROMBAUER EL DORADO ZINFANDEL CALIFORNIA
The grapes were carefully destemmed and optically sorted to ensure only perfect fruit made it into the wine. A cold soak extracted color and flavor before primary fermentation began in tank. The wine was gently basket-pressed, then racked to oak barrels to finish primary fermentation, malolactic fermentation and aging.
This wine is ruby red with a bright hue with aromas of red berries and blackberries mixed with brown sugar, tobacco and a hint of rose. On the palate, it's expansive and dense with flavors of plums, boysenberry, blackberry jam, vanilla and dried florals. The finish builds and lingers on and on.
ROMBAUER MERLOT CARNEROS 750mL
If Merlot has dropped out of favor, why the heck do we sell so much of this? It's because you can't stop a good-make that great-thing! Rombauer has earned an insatiable following for their reds and whites, but this new vintage of Merlot might be their best Merlot release ever! The grapes are pulled from several well-respected vineyards in Napa Valley's Carneros region, including the famed Sangiacomo Vineyard! Aged for 18 months in a combination of French and American oak for that perfect balance of structure and opulence, this delicious Merlot is crafted from cool-climate grapes with a warm climate personality.The wine bursts with cherry, ripe plum and spice aromas. The soft tannins are deftly interwoven through a core of plum, with layers of dark berries shaded with hints of cocoa. The wine lingers on the palate with fruit and moderate tannins. It drinks well now, but it will improve with a few years in the cellar
Juicy peaches, pineapple and citrus greet the nose, followed by vanilla and toasty oak. Ripe tropical fruit, pear and apple flood the lush, silky palate. Soft spice, vanilla and nectarines mark the lengthy finish, and fresh, mouthwatering acidity leaves you longing for another glass.
- Item #: i_857291Bottle Size: 750ml **The latest release of the fantastic Baracchi O’Lillo Super Tuscan has arrived. In just a couple of years, this wine has become a staff and customer favorite and it’s easy to see why. The latest release of this red blend is another stunning wine, offering great purity of fruit and tremendous flavor. This creative blend showcases layers of perfectly ripened dark fruit flavors including currant, blackberry and black cherry. The rich fruit of this full-bodied Super Tuscan hits all the right notes in a very crowd pleasing style.
The Baracchi estate has become the most prominent estate winery in Cortona, and one of the most recognized in Tuscany. The stunning labels reflect the family’s passion for Falconry Recent press has created a strong demand for Baracchi wines in the U.S. and solidified the brand’s position as one of the most sought after newcomers from Italy on the market. So delicious on its own, this wine also pairs beautifully with a range of foods, including Italian favorites and meat dishes.
Regular customers may know we select our Wines of the Month 2 using specific criteria. First and foremost, the wine must taste great (of course!) and almost as importantly, it must offer tremendous value at a reasonable price point. Baracchi’s O’Lillo easily passes these tests and is sure to please.
- Item #: i_371112Bottle Size: 750ml **MOUNT RILEY "LIMITED RELEASE" CENTRAL OTAGO PINOT NOIR 2016
WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "Mount Riley sourced the fruit for the 2016 Limited Release Pinot Noir from the Gibbston Valley in Central Otago. It's a bigger, considerably richer wine than the Marlborough Pinot Noir, offering hints of ripe plums and cherries, ample weight on the palate and a long finish buffered by supple tannins."
MOUNT RILEY "LIMITED RELEASE" SAUVIGNON BLANC 2017
WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "More complex and less tropical than the regular bottling, the 2017 Limited Release Sauvignon Blanc boasts aromas of grapefruit and cut grass. Flavors range from melon and fig back to grapefruit, which lingers on the finish. Fruit sourcing is Wairau (70%) and Awatere (30%)."
- Item #: i_802040Bottle Size: Basket 1-2 BtleThis basket contains a 750mL of 2014 Silver Oak Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon and assorted gourmet food items.
Note: Food items in basket are subject to change depending on availability. Replacement items will be of equal or greater value than the original item.Item #: i_983758Bottle Size: 750ml **MAS COLLET
JAMES SUCKLING 91 POINTS - "Bold, black fruit, balanced by generous, supple tannins, making this an easy red to enjoy. But it also has some real depth with notes of licorice and earth adding some complexity to the nose and the long finish. Drink now or hold."
TORRES IBERICOS CRIANZA
It’s not always easy to find a wine we believe is worthy to be our Wine of the Month. There’s a lot of sifting involved and a wake of opened wines left behind that range from average to sub-par, flawed to corked, pretty good to, eventually, The One. Once in a great while, however, one of our reps shows up with a wine that immediately captures our wine buyer’s eye and palate, and they, quickly as they can, get as many other wine buyers and tasting panel members to try it. Because they know, and we quickly find out upon nosing and tasting, that our search is over, the day has been won, the wine is a stunner and easy pick for our monthly feature. This pretty much sums up this month’s wine from Rioja, Spain, and one of the grand families in Spanish wine, Familia Torres.
In 2005, the Torres family decided to open a winery in the town of Labastida, in the very heart of the Rioja Alavesa region. Torres was well aware of the region's winegrowing potential, which allows for the production of high-quality wines that display remarkable personality and mature beautifully. Altos Ibéricos is named after Alto Otero, the beautiful enclave that is home to the winery. This Crianza level wine is 100% Tempranillo and sees 12 months in Oak before an extending aging regimen in bottle. To get a Crianza this good for under ten bucks? Inconceivable!
Seriously, though, this is a heck of a bargain and what my seventh grade Spanish teacher, Señor Peralta, would deem "¡Bastante Bien!" And don’t forget to eat! From June gloom to bright summer sunshine this Crianza will pair with modern cuisine and good friends, red meats and cheeses, oil-rich fish, and is especially exquisite when enjoyed with its cousin, Ibérico pork.
Torres Crianza The nose is loaded with forward, ripe red fruits, assorted red berries, strawberry and plum. Savory notes of black tea and spice mélange provide additional layers. In the mouth the red fruits continue with bright cherries taking the lead, bolstered by umami earthiness and spice, tea and balsa wood reflections. It is impeccably balanced and drinks like a wine at least twice its price. The finish is lengthy and reiterates the olfactory and gustatory delights we experienced-- fruits and spices, earth and umami, enwrapped in a lush, rich mouthfeel that slowly recedes like a cloud-free summer sunset over the Pacific Ocean… brilliant, memorable, rewarding.Item #: i_200215Bottle Size: 750ml ***ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "Run by Megan and Marty Clubb since 1989, Walla Walla-based L'Ecole No 41 continues to fly under the radar while producing a great lineup of wines. While I wasn't able to taste any 2013s, their 2012s were rock solid across the board, and I think their new Ferguson Reserve release could be the best wine they've ever made. Prices here remain reasonable, especially given the quality."
"More complex than the Columbia Valley Cabernet, the 2013 Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon (100% Cabernet aged in 40% new French oak) reveals a healthy ruby/purple color as well as perfumed cedar, spice-box, crushed flowers and cassis and black raspberry like fruit. The oak is present, but nicely integrated. This medium to full-bodied, beautifully polished 2013 has solid mid-palate depth and enough tannin to keep it evolving gracefully for another decade or more." The Louis Martini winery has been crafting world-class Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa and Sonoma's finest vineyards since 1933. Founder Louis M. Martini started with this simple premise: the best grapes make the best wines. Today, this tradition carries on at their historic winery in the Napa Valley with a range of unforgettable Cabernet Sauvignon wines.
The Louis M. Martini winery is one of the original five Napa wineries founded in 1933 after Prohibition. In keeping with Louis' tradition of innovation, they pioneered the use of temperature controlled fermentation, the use of wind machines to combat frost damage, as well as studying clonal selections on specific terroirs. All of which have become industry standards.
Since then, the Louis Martini winery has gone from one level of greatness to the next. Robert M. Parker, Jr. tweeted that Martini's Sonoma Cabernet is among the best Cabernets in the world among its peers, their Lot 1 Cabernet Sauvignon has earned the perfect 100-point score, and now, their Napa Valley bottling is sure to be one of the biggest hits in our store for the dollar! Read Mr. Parker's review below, from when he tasted it from barrel. (note: our buyer tasted it out of bottle, and he was floored by the quality!)
ARROWOOD 2014 ROBERT PARKER 93-95 POINTS - "The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley spends 18 months in a combination of 30% new and 70% used French and American barrels. It is another big boy at 15.4% natural alcohol. This wine, which was not yet in bottle, is fabulous, and there are 42,000 cases of it. One of the strongest efforts yet from the Martinis, this cuvee still sells at a modest $38.00 – a fair price for something this compelling. The wine has an opaque purple color, a beautiful nose of blueberries, blackcurrants, licorice, camphor and graphite. The wine is full-bodied and multilayered on the palate with sensational richness and length. It should drink well for 20-25 years." b>ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "A deep, powerful wine, the 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon (Knights Valley) captures plenty of the depth and intensity of the appellation. In this vintage, the more mineral and savory notes of the year are pretty much covered by the distinctly red-toned fruit. All things considered, this is a fairly approachable style for Knights Valley. The 2014 will drink well with minimal cellaring."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Very deep garnet-purple in color, the 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon, composed of 80% Cabernet Sauvignon, 16% Merlot and 4% Malbec, is scented of red currants, blackberries and wild blueberries with touches of olives and underbrush. Medium-bodied, tightly wound and packed with tense red and black fruits, it has a fine-grained texture and savory finish. 9,600 cases were produced."