Catalog Advanced Search
45 items were found using the following search criteria
- Top Seller: Yes
- Item #: i_381401Bottle Size: 750mlOne of our favorite everyday value reds just got better! With the help of one of the best vintages for Tuscany, Aia Vecchia has given us another reason to love Super Tuscans. This estate has been bringing us incredible value since the 90's with the help of the late legendary winemaker of Ornellaia, Tibor Gal, who assisted them in the start of their own winery. The Pellegrini estates include vineyards in some of the most reputable spots in Bolgheri. The home to some of the most well-known Super Tuscans in the world including the highly regarded, Sassicaia. The one place where Bordeaux varietals take precedence over any native Italian grape.
Lagone has always exceeded the expectation for a wine at this price. And the 2015 vintage is absolutely one of the best illustrations of the true value and quality that Aia Vecchia shows us year after year.
The Pellegrini family have been grape growers for many generations and have sold their grapes to some of the Top Super Tuscan houses for many years. Their property, Casavecchia, is adjacent to the highly regarded Ornellaia and shares many attributes of its more famous neighbor. Somehow, even in this high rent district, Aia Vecchia has brought us an affordable interpretation of this fantastic Mediterranean climate location. This fantastic Super Tuscan is drinking exceptionally well right now!
DECANTER MAGAZINE 93 POINTS - "Silver Award Winner: Lots of ripe strawberry and black fruit on the nose, the palate has lovely super concentrated ripe cassis fruit, with vanilla and spice."
60% Merlot, 30% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Cabernet Franc. Aged in various types of oak barrels for 12 months; aged six months in bottle. Dry, structured and elegant with flavors of plum, ripe cherries, wild berries and a hint of spice, followed by a lengthy and smooth finish that begs for food.
- Item #: i_378524Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Round and juicy, this lively red shows ripe flavors of kirsch and mulled plum, with chocolate and licorice accents. Heady but not heavy, with bright acidity and spicy and floral notes on the finish. Drink now through 2022."
Bodegas Alto Moncayo is a winery located in the area covered by the Campo de Borja Denominación de Origen (DO, wine quality standard). It was founded in 2002 with the aim of turning it into a world reference for Garnacha wines of the highest quality, prepared from native vine clones.
‘Veraton’ is the third wine we produce from the Garnacha grape, from vines between 30 and 50 years old, and aged in barrels for 16 months. It is a wine with an attractive collection of balsamic notes, of chocolate and black fruits, very warm in the mouth and an extremely pleasant finish.
- Item #: i_112239Bottle Size: 750ml#6 ON WHISKY ADVOCATE TOP 20 WHISKIES OF 2017
WHISKEY ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Ardbeg doles out occasional limited releases for their avid fans, but for nearly a decade the core range consisted of just three whiskies: 10 year old, Uigeadail, and Corryvreckan. The addition of An Oa, matured in a combination of virgin oak, Pedro Ximénez sherry, and bourbon barrels, and married in a French oak ‘gathering vat’ prior to bottling, marks a reason to celebrate. An Oa is a more approachable Ardbeg. It lacks some of the typical oiliness, but flavor and complexity abound with hot peat, black tea, and peppery cloves. Die-hard Ardbeg fans should have no complaints, and new converts have a real treat in store." - Gavin Smith
- Item #: i_112739Bottle Size: 750ml#9 ON WHISKY ADVOCATE TOP 20 WHISKIES OF 2017
WHISKEY ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Terroir and provenance are keenly debated in many corners of the whisky world, and Bruichladdich shows intense focus on the question with Islay Barley, which uses only locally grown grain. The 2017 release was distilled in 2010, using Optic and Oxbridge barley varieties grown on eight Islay family farms and matured in a combination of French oak and bourbon casks. In addition to Islay Barley’s ambitious pursuit of true single-origin whisky, this is a real gem for its ginger and tobacco aromas, muscular mouthfeel, and flavors of toffee, spices, and youthful oak." - Gavin Smith
- Item #: i_232390Bottle Size: 750mlOwners John and Michelle (JaM) Truchard have created quite a following in a relatively short amount of time. With the name of their wine label being called JaM, they employed the help of winemaker Rob Lloyd to produce a rich, jammy style of Cabernet. Well, that wine was a huge hit, and since Rob knew a thing or two about making Chardonnays, it only made sense that this white wine should be called "Butter". As the name implies, this is a rich, buttery style of Chardonnay laced with aromas of baked lemons and mandarin oranges mingle with a hint of spice and smoke. The palate begins with crisp pineapple, bright citrus and ripe melon while a soft creaminess rounds out the finish. This Chardonnay is ready for immediate enjoyment and is suited to a wide variety of foods including white fish, smoked salmon and creamy pasta dishes.
- Item #: i_305889Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Wine Spectator: 95James Suckling: 93Every once in a while, a wine walks through the door (not literally, but you get the idea...) and just blows the room away. This is definitely one of those wines. Our Italian Wine Buyer, Patty Quick, believes this is the best wine she's ever had in terms of quality-to-price ratio. The juice is outstanding, the price reasonable and the critics are effusive in their praise— creating a fortuitous trifecta for those with access to it. This wine won't last so move quickly!
About the Winery - Caparzo, with owner Elisabetta Gnudi Angelini and winemaker Massimo Bracalente, aims to make top quality products using meticulous and traditional techniques, while at the same time applying a modern outlook in its commercial relations with efficiency and capability. More than thirty years have passed since the first vines were planted and the first steps in winemaking taken. In this period, Caparzo, bolstered by its background in the Brunello tradition and the different terroirs of the area, has proved its ability to produce wines with a creative flair and spirit of innovation that achieves top standards in quality. This explains why Caparzo wines have been chosen by the most famous restaurants in the world and are served at international meetings and official State banquets.
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "This cuts more of a broad swath than its peers, yet remains graceful, evoking strawberry, cherry, tobacco and stony mineral flavors. Long and dense in structure, with a tobacco- and underbrush-tinged finish. Best from 2021 through 2033."
JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "The caramel and ripe fruit are impressive with some grilled meat too. Full body, firm and silky. A tight and exciting wine for the future. Drink in 2020."
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Caparzo is my go-to producer when I'm looking for classic Brunello with a more accessible and immediate personality to pair with pasta or grilled steak. The 2013 Brunello di Montalcino is made in traditional botte from Slavonian oak, where it rests for two years. Yet the bouquet is softer and more open than many other wines made in this fashion (that ultimately sees less oxygen during overall winemaking). Bright cherry and cassis is followed by deep layers of smoke, tar and grilled herb. The wine is elegant and graceful for either a medium or a long-term drinking window."
- Item #: i_305454Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93+Wine Spectator: 93Casanova di Neri has most certainly had its share of accolades and praise with all the estate wines including the Brunello di Montalcino 'White Label', the newest project 'Tenuta Nuova' (literally translated new estate) and the small single vineyard of Cerretalto. Just to name a few, Last years 2012 'White Label' made #4 Top 100 Wine Spectator with 95 Points, the 2010 'Tenuta Nuova' received 100 points in Wine Advocate, and of course not forgetting the first time Giacomo Neri set off fireworks...the 2001 'Tenuta Nuova' making 2006 Wine Spectator Wine of the Year!
With the 2013 Classic Vintage that just arrived, we are excited to share with you another great showing of Casanova di Neri Brunello! And with the press of this vintage just ramping up, we suggest you get enough to put a few away! These wines are made to enjoy now and cellar for 25+ years.
WINE ADVOCATE 93+ POINTS - "It's that time of year: get your Neri on. This blockbuster Montalcino estate has released another fantastic collection of new wines, including the 2013 Brunello di Montalcino. Beautifully executed, the wine oozes forth from the glass with round, supple and velvety fruit. This Brunello Annata is luscious and deep, with millefoglie aromatic layering that peels back slowly and carefully. The mouthfeel is less elaborate compared to the estate's top expressions, but the bouquet does much to push this score into the low nineties. Some 80,000 bottles were produced."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "This is focused, with a vivid structure driving the cherry, leather, spice and earth flavors. Dusty tannins follow up, while this remains fresh on the lingering finish. Best from 2020 through 2033."
- Item #: i_305898Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97Wine Spectator: 96James Suckling: 98Casanova di Neri has most certainly had its share of accolades and praise with all the estate wines including the Brunello di Montalcino 'White Label', the newest project 'Tenuta Nuova' (literally translated new estate) and the small single vineyard of Cerretalto. Just to name a few, Last years 2012 'White Label' made #4 Top 100 Wine Spectator with 95 Points, the 2010 'Tenuta Nuova' received 100 points in Wine Advocate, and of course not forgetting the first time Giacomo Neri set off fireworks...the 2001 'Tenuta Nuova' making 2006 Wine Spectator Wine of the Year!
With the 2013 Classic Vintage that just arrived, we are excited to share with you another great showing of Casanova di Neri Brunello! And with the press of this vintage just ramping up, we suggest you get enough to put a few away! These wines are made to enjoy now and cellar for 25+ years. This anniversary edition will be one of the best wine purchases you make this year.
WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "Casanova di Neri's 2013 Brunello di Montalcino Tenuta Nuova is celebrating its 20th anniversary (1993-2013), and a special gold-label edition of the wine was made to commemorate this important milestone. I tasted the white label for this review. This is a bold and expressive Brunello that displays tightly knit aromas of Morello cherry, spice, leather and balsam herb that are the building blocks of the most beautiful Brunellos that come to mind. The Casanova di Neri house style implies a modern and sophisticated approach for sure. But the inner spirit and texture of Sangiovese is so fine and polished in its natural state that it hardly matters. The personality of the grape shines through with a loud and confident voice."
WINE SPECTATOR 'HOT WINES' 96 POINTS - "Sweet, ripe strawberry and cherry fruit melds seamlessly with the dense, refined structure of this red. Saline, licorice and spice accents add complexity as this lingers gracefully on the finish. Terrific harmony and expression."
JAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS - "A vivid and bright red with intense blueberries and raspberries. Floral undertones and tons of citrus, too! Full-bodied, dense and layered. Polished tannins and fantastic fruit. The muscularity of the structure is what gives this wine focus and intensity. So serious for the vintage. Give it time to show its greatness. Drink in 2022."
- Item #: i_380113Bottle Size: 750MLWe are so excited that another dynamite vintage of Petalos has just arrived. Think burgundy with a hint of Northern Rhone syrah.
During the late 1980's, Alvaro Palacios traveled his native Spain selling French barriques to winemakers. But his journeys had a second purpose: to find the best place to achieve his goal of making Spain's greatest wines. Alvaro wanted-incredibly steep hillside vineyards, distinctive terroirs and, most importantly, ancient vineyards of Mencia—a unique red grape believed to be brought by French pilgrims during the Middle Ages. Meanwhile, his nephew Ricardo Perez had finished enological studies in Bordeaux and was traveling across France-absorbing everything he could about great wines. He worked the harvest at Chateau Margaux, and did internships at other Bordelais firms like Moueix (Petrus, Trotanoy, etc.). He also visited Alvaro frequently and came to share a belief in Bierzo's potential. In 1998, the two decided on a joint venture and set out in search of the region's finest old vineyards. Alvaro and Ricardo found promising sites in a number of villages but shortly came to believe that the greatest potential lay in a little town on Bierzo's western border named Corullon. Old vineyards lined the precipitous hillsides there, and the local soils were extremely poor-composed mostly of schist-but with incredible diversity. The minute variations in soils and exposures across this zone immediately reminded the two of Burgundy's Cote d'Or, or Piedmont's Langhe hills. In Corullon, Alvaro and Ricardo believe they have found a unique combination of soils, old vines, and a distinctive variety that will yield their own grands crus.
This beautiful wine is delicate with highly suggestive floral aromas displaying violets and dried roses along with hints of black fruit and roasted coffee. With it's Pinot Noir-like quality, it's medium body and velvety texture evokes notions of ripe black fruit on the palate and mineral undertones. Tannins are soft and well integrated, good acidity and a kiss of smokiness on the finish.
- Item #: i_350940Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-96WINE ADVOCATE 93-96 POINTS - "A new cuvee from Dan Kravitz, the 2015 Maury Sec First Things First is a blend of 60% Grenache, 22% Carignan and 18% Syrah that had 75% of the crop brought in at the “correct” time, and 25% brought in over a week later due to broken equipment in the cellar. Scheduled to be bottled in August or October, it offers sensational notes of black raspberries, cassis, violets and graphite as well as full-bodied richness, ultra-fine tannin and an undeniable sexiness that makes it already impossible to resist. Count me a fan and I’d suggest breaking more equipment during harvest in the future as well (or just harvest later)"
"These are terrific wines that show the classic fruit and minerality of the region, yet also possess a beautiful sense of elegance and purity. They should be on any wine lover's short list." - Wine Advocate
"Full-bodied richness, ultra-fine tannin and an undeniable sexiness that makes it already impossible to resist." - Jeb Dunnuck
"These blockbuster efforts are made by Dan Kravitz at the co-op in Tautavel. They more than over-deliver and offer classic Roussillon flair and texture, yet back it up with solid mid-palate concentration and sound structure. Don't miss them." - WINE ADVOCATE
We are excited to offer another fantastic red from Domaine Cabirau. As you may know, we recently featured their entry level wine as our wine of the month and have twice selected the Serge and Nicolas cuvee as one of our top wines of the year. Now, for the first time, Domaine Cabirau has released a prestige bottling which is appropriately named "FIRST THINGS FIRST." This is a full-bodied stunner loaded with rich, dark fruit flavors which seduce the palate and is definitely a crowd pleaser.
Jeb Dunnuck of Robert Parker's Wine Advocate reviewed this wine and loved it! He gave the wine a 93- 96 point score based on his initial tasting and called the wine "impossible to resist." He also described First Things first as having "sensational notes of black raspberries, cassis, violets."
Importer Dan Kravitz had been importing wine for nearly three decades and became aware of a vineyard in the Roussillon with excellent potential. He took the plunge and purchased the vineyard in the town of Maury, where one can grow high quality grapes at a reasonable price. The attention to detail and focus on quality show in this wine which showcases perfectly ripened fruit, amazing freshness and a very long finish.
This wine has tons of flavor and represents an outstanding value which satisfies both the palate and the wallet. Don't miss it!
- Item #: i_383637Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 90Every now and then we get something great tossed in our lap-- in this case, it's an under-the-radar, delicious Portuguese wine at a steep discount. Normally retailing at $19.95, we are passing the savings on to you and offering it on sale at $13.95. Pretty darn good for a 90-point, Wine Spectator Top 100 selection!
While more well known for their fortified eponymous wines, Portugal's 'regular' still wines give great insight to how their fortified cousins have fared so well over the centuries: the base wines are flat-out delicious. The potential for greatness is there: the terroir, the passion, the history; the components are available to make world-class wines. That this wine is as good as it is for such a reasonable price is a great sign for the future of Portuguese (non-Port) wines.
This Tinto (red wine) is comprised of 40% Touriga Nacional, 40% Touriga Franca and 20% Tinto Roriz from the Douro region. The grapes are de-stemmed and gently crushed in stainless steel lagares (troughs) by robotized treading where the pre-fermentative maceration takes place at low temperature. Fermentation in stainless steel tanks at the controlled temperature of 28ºC (82.4ºF). Maturation/Elevage occurs in 225 and 300 liter French oak barrels (2nd and 3rd year use) for 12 months.
The nose gives off scents of dark, spicy fruits, black plum, persimmon and pomegranate, violets and cedar. In the mouth the dark blue and red fruits continue with notes of black raspberry, cherry and black cherry. The tannins and overall structure are excellent and keep the wine buoyant and fresh. Touches of bramble, Earl Grey tea and a reiteration of the dark fruits make for a tasty, layered finish that lasts and lasts on the palate.
#84 on Wine Spectators Top of 2015
WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "This has a delicate core of violet, plum and red berry flavors that are broad yet well-defined. Medium-grained tannins gain power midpalate, with mineral and shiso leaf notes on the taut finish. Drink now through 2020."
- Item #: i_377064Bottle Size: 750mlWe always look forward to any new release from any of the Gil Family Estate wineries-- their group of small family wineries, scattered throughout the Spanish geography, have an excellent track record with our staff, customers and palates.
This is why we look forward to releases from the Juan Gil family of wines-- they tend to be, like this one, stunning. This year’s release, once again, was a joy to taste and we highly recommend it. Where the 2015 felt bigger, in terms of structure and acidity, then the 2014, the 2016 is at a place in its bottle life that’s all about synergy. Each component is complete in its own skin while contributing to make a better 'whole' wine-- one that smells and tastes lovely. The nose is warm and rich with layers of autumn spice, blackberry compote, dark florals, vanilla bean, incense and balsa wood. Excellent stratification of scents. The palate continues what the nose started: mixed black and red fruit flavors, brown spices, cola nut, black cherry cola. Fine, elegant tannins course throughout, keeping the wine uplifted and lively. The finish is long and near-perfect; waves of black berries and ripe red fruits slowly surf over beds of tannins, allowing the imbiber to enjoy a perfect sunset ride to eventually reach the shore, echoes of fruit and spice as comforting as the white noise of the surf, reminding you of the beautiful journey just taken. 70% Monastrell, 30% Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Item #: i_345036Bottle Size: 750MLOctober’s Wine of the Month is a fantastic Rhone blend from a tremendous vintage made by one of France’s great winemaking families. The Perrin family is best known as the proprietors of Chateau de Beaucastel, which is one of the great producers of Chateauneuf du Pape in the Rhone Valley. They are also pioneers in Paso Robles where they partnered with the Haas family to establish Tablas Creek and helped establish this region as a special place for Rhone-style blends. Add the fact that Beaucastel was chosen as Wine Spectator’s Wine of the Year and it’s safe to say the Perrin family knows a thing or two about making great wine.
The Perrins sourced grapes for this outstanding Côtes du Rhône from their premium village vineyards. Grenache is grown in clay/limestone soils adding bright blueberry and Kirsch notes. The Syrah comes from terraced vineyards of Vinsobres which are rich in quartz and marl, bringing a warming blackberry and spice character to the mix. Finally, the Mourvèdre adds plum flavors along with additional complexity and depth.
Famille Perrin’s Cotes du Rhone is a delicious wine and a terrific value, which beautifully expresses the 2015 vintage. The vines produced berries rich in phenolic compounds, expressive aromatics and deep flavors. This is a great everyday wine which is complementary to most any type of food and very enjoyable on its own.
Bright ruby in color with purple reflections. Aromatically expressive with notes of crushed violets, dark raspberries, cherries, blackberry and licorice. On the palate, this wine shows perfectly ripened fruit with Kirsch, blueberry, raspberry and plum and a hint of baking spice. The mouthfeel is generous yet balanced with beautiful, silky tannins. The overall impression is one that is harmonious with a wonderful polished texture, culminating in a surprisingly long finish. Grenache, Syrah and Mourvèdre.
- Item #: i_345384Bottle Size: 750MLCôte des Roses celebrates the Mediterranean lifestyle. The Languedoc appellation stretches along the Mediterranean coast from the Spanish border as far as the city of Nîmes, along the foothills of the Montagne Noire and the Cévennes. The soils are highly varied, mainly with hard limestone and schist, but also gravel transported by the rivers of the Languedoc region.
The warm, windy climate (“semi-arid Mediterranean climate with mild winters”) helps the grapes to ripen in good, healthy condition, while retaining all their fresher qualities thanks to the altitude and the influence of the sea which eases the scorching summer heat. The bottle is original with its base in the shape of a rose, created by a young designer from the Ecole Boulle. A wine to be given in the same way you would offer a bunch of roses!
A soft, pale, brilliant pink with bluish tints developing over time towards more orangey nuances. The bouquet releases aromas of summer fruits, cassis and redcurrant. Floral notes of rose along with hints of grapefruit complete the picture. The finish is fresh, offering notes of candy. On the palate the impression is fresh and full, with great aromatic persistence and balance.
- Item #: i_111610Bottle Size: 750MLGlenlivet Single Malt Scotch Whisky is made using barley sourced from Crisp Maltings, Portgordon (Portgordon is a village in Moray, Scotland). After the barley has been malted and mashed, it is fermented in wooden washbacks for approximately two days. The wooden washbacks used by Glenlivet are more difficult and expensive to maintain as compared to the stainless steel washbacks used by most Scottish distilleries, but impart a distinctive, floral quality to the whisky.
After the barley has been fermented, it is distilled twice - first through Glenlivet’s wash still, and then again through Glenlivet’s spirits still. Originally designed by George Smith, the copper-pot stills have a unique, lantern-like shape, which encourages contact between the whisky and the copper. The copper strips the whisky of any impurities it may have, and provides for a lighter and more pure flavor profile.
Following distillation, The Glenlivet 12 Year Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky - part of Glenlivet’s Classic Range - is matured in a mixture of cask types, including American Oak and European Oak. In particular, the American Oak lends the whisky its vanilla character and distinct smoothness, while the 12 years spent inside both barrels gives the whisky aromas of honeysuckle and summertimes fruits, along with notes of fresh pineapple and bitter cocoa on the palate. The whisky has a rich, creamy finish filled with lasting touches of hazelnuts and marzipan.
- Item #: i_167440Bottle Size: 750ML#2 ON WHISKY ADVOCATE TOP 20 WHISKIES OF 2017
WHISKEY ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "Glenmorangie Astar returns after a five-year absence. Astar is matured in custom toasted casks made from slow-growing trees on north-facing slopes in the Ozark Mountains of Missouri. The barrels harbor bourbon for four years before heading to Glenmorangie. That level of provenance doesn’t come cheap, which is why the original Astar was discontinued in 2012, just four years after its acclaimed appearance. The exquisite Glenmorangie aromas and flavors - floral, with rose hips and orange blossom - are dialed up to new levels of intensity, while the voluptuous and sweet palate exudes harmony and balance." - Gavin Smith
114.2 PROOF NON CHILL FILTERED
- Item #: i_112270Bottle Size: 750MLThe original liqueur created in 1880 by Louis Alexandre Marnier Lapostolle. A delicate blend of fine cognacs and distilled essence of tropical oranges with the addition of the Marnier Lapostolle secret. Slow ageing in French oak casts gives it incomparable roundness and subtlety.
- Item #: i_381229Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "Made with guidance from Peter Sisseck, the 2015 Crianza from Hacienda Monasterio is a blockbuster effort that’s a blend of 75% Tinto Fino, 15% Cabernet Sauvignon, and the balance Merlot, all of which spent 18 months in 30% new French oak. Its deep ruby/purple color is followed by terrific notes of blueberries, violets, graphite, and crushed rocks. Full-bodied, deep, concentrated, and elegant, with a traditional style and building tannin, it’s incredible that they produce upward of 30,000 cases of this beauty. It’s no doubt beautiful today yet will keep for a decade or more. Even at $50, it’s a smoking value!"
WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The flagship Crianza is now simply referred to as 2015 Hacienda Monasterio. This is their biggest production, with some 181,630 bottles in this classical and powerful vintage where the secret was an early harvest to keep the acidity and freshness in the wine and keep the alcoholic degree under control. It's mostly Tempranillo, with 10% each Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot, fermented with indigenous yeasts and with long and soft macerations. It matured for some 18 months in French oak barrels, 25% of them new (a percentage that has been gradually lowered in the last few years). It has a balanced nose, with nuance and subtleness, with the oak nicely folded into the fruit, incipient perfume, and even if young, you can almost see where it can go in bottle. The foreign varieties are not really noticed; they are very integrated. The palate has terrific balance and refined tannins. There is no heat or excess ripening whatsoever. For a moment, I thought I was tasting the 2014. This is one of the best and most widely available wines from Ribera del Duero. It should evolve nicely in bottle."
- Item #: i_115110Bottle Size: 750MLJameson is the best selling Irish Whiskey in the world. There is a reason for that: Jameson is a force to be reckoned with and a delicious whiskey to enjoy. The origins of this dram date back to 1780 with a Scottish immigrant in Ireland named John Jameson who had a vision for whiskey. There is a long, storied history and a following that has been growing exponentially for decades. To let the whiskey tell its side of the story: on the nose you find fruitcake packed with orange, raisins and apricot alongside sandalwood and linseed oil, soft leather—all very enticing. The palate is big, creamy, friendly, intense but never overbearing. The flavors are mouth-filling, with buttery hints of spice balanced inside of a lush opulence with barley malt and nutty sherry notes dancing to the end. This is genuinely arresting whiskey that is a charming pleasure to drink; try it neat, as a shot, on ice, in a cocktail or with a 'Pickle Back'.
- Item #: i_305699Bottle Size: 750mlWe are always on the prowl for wines that over-deliver, wines that taste far greater than their price might suggest. This month, in college hoops parlance, we have quite the dunk! This Valpolicella is loaded with new world fruits and freshness while kept grounded by classic old world structure and style. It blew us away with its quality and easily crossed the line first to be our Wine of the Month 2. Along with the bright, forward flavors and excellent acidity and tannins of structure, this wine is versatile-- whether the weather or menu changes unexpectedly or frequently, this wine will bring its 'A Game' regardless. Buy a few extra for when it starts to warm up and serve with a light chill. Molto bene!
The Morini family has been making wine for over 40 years. The family is fully involved and engaged in the production of wines such as Soave, Valpolicella and Amarone. There are so many family members working at the winery that they barely fit in the group picture. Their Production started at the local Cantine Sociale selling grapes and not bottling anything under the Ilatium label. Finally, in 1992, the family purchased a historic farmhouse from the early 1900s surrounded by beautiful vineyards in the heart of Val di Mezzane east of Verona. The Vineyards, located in three neighboring geographic areas, but with completely different microclimates and soils, provide the ability to obtain grapes with different characteristics and different maturation periods, this also helps with logistics during the frantic times of harvest! That they love what they do is evident in the bottle. We were captivated and believe you will be, too!
Brilliant and bright in the glass, its translucent ruby color beamed freshness in the morning light when we tasted. Quiet intensity and complexity meld with bright zippy fruits in the nose; raspberry, cherry and cranberry. The palate rounds out with additional layers of cedar and garrique while keeping its mélange of red pulp fruits in the forefront. Notes of mixed herbals and hillside brush play in the background alongside brown spices. Dry, warm and quite soft in the mouth, a good dose of tannins adds to the classic structure of the wine. This is a great spring-into-summer red wine. Serve it lightly chilled or at room temp and win either way. Pair with Lamb tacos, pork dishes, cheeses, risotto with sausage, fresh gnocchi, ham too!
70% Corvina, 20% Rondinella, 10% Corvina
- Item #: i_240110Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-95The Louis Martini winery has been crafting world-class Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa and Sonoma's finest vineyards since 1933. Founder Louis M. Martini started with this simple premise: the best grapes make the best wines. Today, this tradition carries on at their historic winery in the Napa Valley with a range of unforgettable Cabernet Sauvignon wines.
The Louis M. Martini winery is one of the original five Napa wineries founded in 1933 after Prohibition. In keeping with Louis' tradition of innovation, they pioneered the use of temperature controlled fermentation, the use of wind machines to combat frost damage, as well as studying clonal selections on specific terroirs. All of which have become industry standards.
Since then, the Louis Martini winery has gone from one level of greatness to the next. Robert M. Parker, Jr. tweeted that Martini's Sonoma Cabernet is among the best Cabernets in the world among its peers, their Lot 1 Cabernet Sauvignon has earned the perfect 100-point score, and now, their Napa Valley bottling is sure to be one of the biggest hits in our store for the dollar! Read Mr. Parker's review below, from when he tasted it from barrel. (note: our buyer tasted it out of bottle, and he was floored by the quality!)
ROBERT PARKER 93-95 POINTS - "The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley spends 18 months in a combination of 30% new and 70% used French and American barrels. It is another big boy at 15.4% natural alcohol. This wine, which was not yet in bottle, is fabulous, and there are 42,000 cases of it. One of the strongest efforts yet from the Martinis, this cuvee still sells at a modest $38.00 – a fair price for something this compelling. The wine has an opaque purple color, a beautiful nose of blueberries, blackcurrants, licorice, camphor and graphite. The wine is full-bodied and multilayered on the palate with sensational richness and length. It should drink well for 20-25 years."
- Item #: i_117760Bottle Size: 750MLThe Macallan 18, an aristocrat in the pantheon of well aged whisky, one of the biggest names in single malt Scotch and always a welcomed dram for anyone! With a nose of dried fruits (cherries, raisins, currants and darker tree fruit) with ginger, vanilla and toasty oak The Macallan 18 invites you to imbibe. The flavors to not disappoint, instead the burst into activity showing you the aromas as a palate dance and adding vibrant spice, toffee, roasted nuts wrapped, of course, in rich sherry-very nice. The finish lingers softly iterating the overall harmonious display of taste in a delicate fade that further reveals sweet earthy tones. The aftertaste is evocatively brisk with nuttiness and layers of oaky vanilla.
- Item #: i_113135Bottle Size: 750mlDistilled with the finest ingredients. Blended from our own stocks.
Created in the U.S.A.
Our unique mash bills are created in Lawrenceburg, IN at the former site of the historic Joseph E. Seagram's Facility.
Distilled with Ohio Waters
We distill our whiskey with water drawn from the deep, rechargeable ancient glacial aquifers of the Ohio River Basin.
We ship our bourbon-whiskey to Charleston, South Carolina where we reduce harsh-tasting congeners, leaving a smoother, more sophisticated spirit.
Using ultrasonic energy and oxygenation after standard distillation, our patented technology finishes incomplete chemical reactions from the fermentation stage. You can taste our process in every sip of Merica Bourbon.
Smooth Taste, Enhanced Flavor
The process reduces several congeners (methanol, isobutanol, amyl alcohols, propanol, free radicals) and converts certain harsh-tasting acids to smooth-tasting esters like glyceride. This creates a spirit with a smoother mouth-feel and dramatically enhanced flavor.