Catalog Advanced Search
246 items were found using the following search criteria
- Collector's Corner: Yes
- Item #: i_220770Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "There are 352 cases of the 2017 Pinot Noir Occidental Ridge, a singular effort in the lineup that stands out for its rich blueberry and mulberry fruit as well as ample spring flowers, forest floor, and violet characteristics. With medium to full body, a ripe, layered texture, terrific concentration, and a big finish, it's a gem from this team that will evolve gracefully for 8-10 years."
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Pinot Noir Occidental Ridge Vineyard offers a level of richness and exotic raciness that really stands out in this lineup of generally more understated wines. Dark, mysterious and sensual, the Occidental Ridge gradually opens up in the glass. Dark cherry, lavender, dried herbs, mint and licorice blossom as the wine gains breadth over time. The Occidental Ridge is an absolutely exquisite wine from Failla and Ehren Jordan. "
- Item #: i_220030Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "From a terrific vineyard on the west side of Yountville, and one I suspect will be more well known in the future due to the quality of the farming, the 100% Cabernet 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Bettinelli Sleeping Lady is a pretty, elegant yet full-bodied beauty that has terrific notes of blue fruits, violets, bay leaf, and damp earth. It has an almost mountain fruit-like tension and purity, fine tannins, and a great finish. In short, it's a thrilling Napa Valley Cabernet that's going to keep for 25 years or more."
- Item #: i_229080Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "Rosemary Cakebread makes gorgeous, sumptuous wines from a number of appellations, although the focus of late has been on sites that are close to home. The two 2015 reds, both from Oakville Ranch, are stellar. Under the care of noted viticulturist Phil Coturri, the wines from Oakville Ranch have become increasingly distinctive. That is very much the case here as well. The Gallica 2015s are racy and bold in conception, but never overdone."
"The 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon Oakville Ranch Vineyard is a huge, full-bodied wine that captures all the natural intensity, breadth and volume of this site on Oakville's Upper Plateau. The significant presence of Cabernet Franc (25%), which is so unique at Oakville Ranch, gives the wine is super-distinctive aromatic signature. Time in the glass brings out the wine's beautifully layered, dark-toned fruit, but readers should be prepared to cellar the 2015 for at least a few years."
JEB DUNNUCK 95+ POINTS - "Brought up in 60% new barrels, the 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon offers classic notes of lead pencil shavings, creme de cassis, white chocolate, licorice and hints of flowers. Ripe, yet pure, elegant and polished on the palate, with building tannin, it's a gorgeous Cabernet that has everything you could want from this vintage."
- Item #: i_226330Bottle Size: 750mlOnly 9 barrels of this wine were produced. A blend of 87% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Petite Sirah, and 5% Merlot, the wine opens with soft aromatics of a wild blackberry patch, pencil shavings and ripe fig, while the nose evolves into a more nuanced melange of violets, fresh sepia pasta and salad nicoise. Vibrant and energetic upon entry, the vintage's elegant qualities continue with a refined mid-palate of dark berry fruits, a touch of licorice and dark chocolate. The robust tannins - a result of the estate's alluvial soils - will develop and mature well into the next decade.
We get a small amount of this wine each year, and this has a track record of receiving high scores from critics. Scores from the past three vintages are:
2014 Vintage - ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97+ POINTS 2013 Vintage - ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS 2012 Vintage - ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS
- Item #: i_333334Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95-97eROBERT PARKER 95-97 POINTS: "Offering more spice, cured meats, chocolate, cassis and vanilla bean, the 2011 Cote Rotie La Turque is more sexy and open-knit than the 2010, with full-bodied richness, sweet tannin and a hard-to-resist profile. It should start to shine at a relatively early age for this cuvee, but still have two decades or more of longevity."
- Item #: i_228340Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 92ROBERT PARKER 93 POINTS - "The 2006 Chardonnay (4,600+ cases) was 80% tank-fermented with no malolatic, and 33% spent 18 months in barrel. It possesses lovely white peach, pear, and crushed rock characteristics, full body, splendid acidity as well as purity, and a gracious integration of subtle oak. This beautiful white can be enjoyed over the next 5-6 years."
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Flinty, with a tight beam of mineral, white peach, nectarine, green apple and lime flavors that are concentrated, keeping the focus on the vibrant fruit. Drink now through 2014. 3,253 cases made."
- Item #: i_228010Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Comments: "With the complex fruit of a well grown, mature Chardonnay vineyard, coupled with the vineyard's inherent minerality and steely acidity, the intention is to cellar this rare wine, as it will develop over many years to come. With a beautiful pale straw and slight yellow color, this youthful beauty offers aromas of peach, meyer lemon, roasted hazelnut, crème brulee, douglas fir, baked apple and wet stone, and is classically Hanzell. It is full bodied with a very rich mouthfeel and an extremely long finish. If you are not a patient person, decanting this wine for a minimum of two hours prior to serving is recommended."
- Item #: i_229230Bottle Size: 750mlIn 2002, Heitz planted cabernet vines on Howell Mountain near the gateway to the Linda Falls Preserve. That same year they donated an adjacent 21 acres to the Land Trust as a conservation easement for the preserve, for hikers and nature lovers to enjoy the splendor of the waterfall, which runs year-round. Stretching above the fog at an average elevation of 1500 feet, this area is known for well-drained, volcanic soils and a cooler climate which results in longer hangtime. The vines are planted in narrow rows, deliberately positioned to capture the strongest rays of the summer sun. As the fruit matures, the dense spacing and abundant sunshine leads to a low yield of smaller berries with thick, deeply-hued skins. This picturesque, hilly vineyard is surrounded by pine trees, deer, and bears; a truly special slice of Napa Valley.
Winemaker's Notes: "Its full palate shows how refined and elegant a Howell Mountain wine can be; a firm tannin structure yet silky, with a juicy lingering finish. Undeniably made in the classic Heitz style, it has a liveliness to it with balanced acidity."
- Item #: i_230220Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "The 2015 Syrah Sur Echalas Vineyard is just as striking as its Grenache sibling, unfurling with an equally complex nose of sweet cassis, beef blood, bitter cocoa, peony and violets, with notions of grilled meat and truffle emerging with time. On the palate, the wine is full-bodied and amazingly intense, with a deep and multidimensional core framed by remarkably satiny, layered tannins, concluding with a long, saline finish."
- Item #: i_230960Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 100ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 100 POINTS - "Medium to deep garnet-purple colored, the 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Wraith opens with compelling creme de cassis, wild blueberries, anise, chocolate mint and black earth scents plus suggestions of candied violets, cinnamon stick, tar, cigar box and smoked meats. Full-bodied, rich, super firm and built like a brick house, the palate offers layer upon layer of very tightly wound, subtly nuanced flavors leading to a very long, very perfumed and minerally finish. If any Hundred Acre wine can live for 100 years, this is certainly a contender."
- Item #: i_232200Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "This was an incredible tasting with winemaker Matt Dees. This estate continues to produce some of the most impressive, long-lived wines in Santa Barbara."
"The inky colored 2009 El Alma de Jonata, which was made from 70% Cabernet Franc, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% Merlot and 1% Petit Verdot, is no less impressive, exhibiting rich, full notes of cigar, chocolate, tobacco leaf and crushed rock notes to go with a massively built, structured profile on the palate. Very full-bodied and one big wine, it can be enjoyed now or cellared for a decade. Drink now-2023."
- Item #: i_232470Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "Despite having been bottled a year ago, the 2014 El Desafio de Jonata is still very closed. Dark, dense and brooding, the 2014 is going to need at least a few years to unwind. The tannins are quite powerful, while the aromatics are reticent, both of which suggest readers will have to be patient."
- Item #: i_232480Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 99 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS - "It's always a fun tasting with winemaker Matt Dees and his team, and they continue to keep this estate at the top of the hierarchy in Santa Barbara County. Located in Ballard Canyon AVA, they pull only from their estate vineyard (planted on incredibly sandy soils) and make a wide range of cuvées, from a red and white Bordeaux blends, to a 100% Petit Verdot, Sangiovese and a number of terrific Rhône blends. The common thread is incredible quality."
"Unquestionably the star of the show is the 2014 La Sangre de Jonata, and it's a more finesse driven, elegant, cool climate example of the cuvee than normal. Reminding me of an Hermitage from Bessards, it offers gorgeous notes of blackberries, cassis, leather, scorched earth and pepper. Possessing full-bodied richness, firm, polished tannin and a focused finish, it will be more approachable that most vintage of this cuvee, yet I still wouldn't touch bottles for 3-5 years. If you must drink a bottle over the coming couple of years, give it a 2-hour decant."
- Item #: i_232400Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "Ordinarily I might say that I was impressed with these wines from Jonata, but quality is so consistently high now that it excellence is the norm. Matt Dees is one of the most brilliant winemakers of his generation. But Dees is more than just a winemaker, he has also been able to assemble a team around him to help look after Jonata, The Hilt, The Pairing, vast estate vineyards and a new winery facility, plus whatever other projects are on the horizon, and that may be an even rarer talent than knowing how to make compelling wines."
"The 2015 El Desafio de Jonata, the estate's Cabernet Sauvignon-based blend, is dense, powerful and super-expressive, with tremendous textural richness and thrust. Still very, very young, the 2015 is going to need at least several years to come into its own. Even so, it is incredibly impressive in the early going."
JEB DUNNUCK 95+ POINTS - "From the lowest yields since 2004, the 2015 El Desafio de Jonata smells like a barrel sample with its jammy blackberry, blueberry, cassis, crushed rock and lead pencil aromas and flavors. Rich, mouthfilling, plush and textured, yet with loads of underlying tannin, it's going to be another terrific vintage for this cuvee, yet it needs to be forgotten for 5-7 years. The blend is 90% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% each of Merlot and Petit Verdot (there's no Cabernet Franc) aged 20 months in 80% new barrels."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "A blend of 90% Cabernet Sauvignon, 5% Merlot and 5% Petit Verdot, the 2015 El Desafio de Jonata has a deep garnet-purple color and nose of cassis, blueberry compote and warm plums with hints of cigar box, dusty earth, cinnamon stick and bay leaves. The rich, medium to full-bodied palate gives layers of plums, earth notions and spices, with firm, grainy tannins to frame and a long, layered finish."
- Item #: i_232330Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93+When we were at the winery tasting through the entire lineup of wines with winemaker Matt Dees, this wine truly was a shining star! We would put ourselves on the line as saying this is one of the best Sauvignon Blancs made in California; on par with Peter Michael, Spottswoode, and Morlet.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93+ POINTS - "Composed of 80% Sauvignon Blanc and 20% Semillon, the 2015 La Flor de Jonata is intensely scented of white peaches, guava and passionfruit with hints of cedar, struck match and musk perfume. It fills the medium-bodied palate with tons of tropical fruit flavors, supported with great freshness and a satiny texture, finishing with lingering cedar hints. It should age beautifully over the next four to six years."
- Item #: i_232250Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 99 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS - "The 2016 El Alma de Jonata is the Cabernet Franc-dominated cuvee. (There's 11% Cabernet Sauvignon and 3% Merlot in the blend.) This beauty sports an inky color as well as Cheval Blanc-like notes of black cherries, cassis, crushed flowers, graphite and lead pencil. The suppleness and sexiness of the 2016 vintage has worked magic on this wine, which is incredibly opulent, expansive and seamless on the palate, with awesome purity of fruit, present tannins, and a huge finish. It's a tour de force from Santa Barbara that's up with the best in the world."
- Item #: i_232210Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 99 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS - "The 2016 La Sangre de Jonata (98% Syrah and 2% Viognier) is a beautiful follow on to the sensational 2015 and has a layered, multi-dimensional, massive profile. Blackcurrants, blackberries, lavender, bacon fat, and spring flower notes all flow to a seriously rich, powerful wine that stays light and graceful, with awesome tannin quality. It's another tour de force that reminds me of the 2007. It shuts down with extended air time (I followed this bottle for two days) and while it can certainly be enjoyed today, it won't hit prime time for another 4-6 years and should keep for two decades or more."
ANTONIO GALLONI 96+ POINTS - "The 2016 La Sangre de Jonata is a wine of real substance and depth. In 2016, the La Sangre is distinguished by its red fruit profile, freshness and vibrant, focused personality, all of which should allow it to age gracefully for a number of years. The 2016 is not as overt as some previous versions have been, but that is probably a very good thing for its longer term prospects. Time in the glass brings out the wine's underlying richness and pedigree."
- Item #: i_232290Bottle Size: 375mlJeb Dunnuck: 99 Points**Please note, this is a half sized bottleJEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS - "Tokaji-like with its opulent apricot, honeycomb, fig, and toffee aromas and flavors, the NV La Miel 3 is a stunning dessert wine that shows an incredible sense of richness and sweetness yet stays light on its feet and flawlessly balanced. Based on Semillon and Sauvignon Blanc, brought up in plenty of new oak, there's unfortunately not much of it to go around, but it ranks with some of the greatest dessert wines out there. Bravo!"
- Item #: i_344311Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93eROBERT PARKER 93 POINTS: "The 2013 Charmes-Chambertin Très Vieilles Vignes has a broody, surprisingly introspective bouquet with raspberry coulis, blackcurrant and sous-bois notes, although to be frank it does not put any gap between itself and the 2013 Gevrey Fontenys. The palate is medium-bodied with fine definition, not quite as sensual as other Charmes-Chambertins that I have tasted, just a prickle of white pepper towards the finish, but it declines offering that knockout punch on the finish. And as such, pound for pound I prefer the Fontenys this year that seems to possess the same level of complexity."