Catalog Advanced Search
214 items were found using the following search criteria
- Collector's Corner: Yes
- Item #: i_230220Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "The 2015 Syrah Sur Echalas Vineyard is just as striking as its Grenache sibling, unfurling with an equally complex nose of sweet cassis, beef blood, bitter cocoa, peony and violets, with notions of grilled meat and truffle emerging with time. On the palate, the wine is full-bodied and amazingly intense, with a deep and multidimensional core framed by remarkably satiny, layered tannins, concluding with a long, saline finish."
- Item #: i_230960Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 100ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 100 POINTS - "Medium to deep garnet-purple colored, the 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Wraith opens with compelling creme de cassis, wild blueberries, anise, chocolate mint and black earth scents plus suggestions of candied violets, cinnamon stick, tar, cigar box and smoked meats. Full-bodied, rich, super firm and built like a brick house, the palate offers layer upon layer of very tightly wound, subtly nuanced flavors leading to a very long, very perfumed and minerally finish. If any Hundred Acre wine can live for 100 years, this is certainly a contender."
- Item #: i_232200Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "This was an incredible tasting with winemaker Matt Dees. This estate continues to produce some of the most impressive, long-lived wines in Santa Barbara."
"The inky colored 2009 El Alma de Jonata, which was made from 70% Cabernet Franc, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% Merlot and 1% Petit Verdot, is no less impressive, exhibiting rich, full notes of cigar, chocolate, tobacco leaf and crushed rock notes to go with a massively built, structured profile on the palate. Very full-bodied and one big wine, it can be enjoyed now or cellared for a decade. Drink now-2023."
- Item #: i_232240Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93+Vinous Media: 92ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93+ POINTS - "Blended of 88% Cabernet Franc, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon and 2% Petit Verdot, the deep garnet-purple colored 2014 El Alma de Jonata gives up notions of black plums, cassis and black cherries with suggestions of violets, cigar box, dusty soil and bay leaves. Medium-bodied, firm, taut and muscular in the mouth, it has ripe grainy tannins and plenty of coiled expression ready to spring with another two to three years in bottle."
ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "The 2014 El Alma de Jonata is a powerful, dense wine that seems to reflect the intensity of the drought vintage. Chocolate, espresso and dark cherry make a strong first impression. Floral notes appear later, adding an attractive element of lift. Even so, this is an especially somber vintage for the Alma, Jonata's Cabernet Franc-based blend."
- Item #: i_232470Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "Despite having been bottled a year ago, the 2014 El Desafio de Jonata is still very closed. Dark, dense and brooding, the 2014 is going to need at least a few years to unwind. The tannins are quite powerful, while the aromatics are reticent, both of which suggest readers will have to be patient."
- Item #: i_232480Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 99 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS - "It's always a fun tasting with winemaker Matt Dees and his team, and they continue to keep this estate at the top of the hierarchy in Santa Barbara County. Located in Ballard Canyon AVA, they pull only from their estate vineyard (planted on incredibly sandy soils) and make a wide range of cuvées, from a red and white Bordeaux blends, to a 100% Petit Verdot, Sangiovese and a number of terrific Rhône blends. The common thread is incredible quality."
"Unquestionably the star of the show is the 2014 La Sangre de Jonata, and it's a more finesse driven, elegant, cool climate example of the cuvee than normal. Reminding me of an Hermitage from Bessards, it offers gorgeous notes of blackberries, cassis, leather, scorched earth and pepper. Possessing full-bodied richness, firm, polished tannin and a focused finish, it will be more approachable that most vintage of this cuvee, yet I still wouldn't touch bottles for 3-5 years. If you must drink a bottle over the coming couple of years, give it a 2-hour decant."
- Item #: i_232400Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "Ordinarily I might say that I was impressed with these wines from Jonata, but quality is so consistently high now that it excellence is the norm. Matt Dees is one of the most brilliant winemakers of his generation. But Dees is more than just a winemaker, he has also been able to assemble a team around him to help look after Jonata, The Hilt, The Pairing, vast estate vineyards and a new winery facility, plus whatever other projects are on the horizon, and that may be an even rarer talent than knowing how to make compelling wines."
"The 2015 El Desafio de Jonata, the estate's Cabernet Sauvignon-based blend, is dense, powerful and super-expressive, with tremendous textural richness and thrust. Still very, very young, the 2015 is going to need at least several years to come into its own. Even so, it is incredibly impressive in the early going."
JEB DUNNUCK 95+ POINTS - "From the lowest yields since 2004, the 2015 El Desafio de Jonata smells like a barrel sample with its jammy blackberry, blueberry, cassis, crushed rock and lead pencil aromas and flavors. Rich, mouthfilling, plush and textured, yet with loads of underlying tannin, it's going to be another terrific vintage for this cuvee, yet it needs to be forgotten for 5-7 years. The blend is 90% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% each of Merlot and Petit Verdot (there's no Cabernet Franc) aged 20 months in 80% new barrels."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "A blend of 90% Cabernet Sauvignon, 5% Merlot and 5% Petit Verdot, the 2015 El Desafio de Jonata has a deep garnet-purple color and nose of cassis, blueberry compote and warm plums with hints of cigar box, dusty earth, cinnamon stick and bay leaves. The rich, medium to full-bodied palate gives layers of plums, earth notions and spices, with firm, grainy tannins to frame and a long, layered finish."
- Item #: i_232330Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93+When we were at the winery tasting through the entire lineup of wines with winemaker Matt Dees, this wine truly was a shining star! We would put ourselves on the line as saying this is one of the best Sauvignon Blancs made in California; on par with Peter Michael, Spottswoode, and Morlet.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93+ POINTS - "Composed of 80% Sauvignon Blanc and 20% Semillon, the 2015 La Flor de Jonata is intensely scented of white peaches, guava and passionfruit with hints of cedar, struck match and musk perfume. It fills the medium-bodied palate with tons of tropical fruit flavors, supported with great freshness and a satiny texture, finishing with lingering cedar hints. It should age beautifully over the next four to six years."
- Item #: i_232250Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 99 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS - "The 2016 El Alma de Jonata is the Cabernet Franc-dominated cuvee. (There's 11% Cabernet Sauvignon and 3% Merlot in the blend.) This beauty sports an inky color as well as Cheval Blanc-like notes of black cherries, cassis, crushed flowers, graphite and lead pencil. The suppleness and sexiness of the 2016 vintage has worked magic on this wine, which is incredibly opulent, expansive and seamless on the palate, with awesome purity of fruit, present tannins, and a huge finish. It's a tour de force from Santa Barbara that's up with the best in the world."
- Item #: i_232210Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 99 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS - "The 2016 La Sangre de Jonata (98% Syrah and 2% Viognier) is a beautiful follow on to the sensational 2015 and has a layered, multi-dimensional, massive profile. Blackcurrants, blackberries, lavender, bacon fat, and spring flower notes all flow to a seriously rich, powerful wine that stays light and graceful, with awesome tannin quality. It's another tour de force that reminds me of the 2007. It shuts down with extended air time (I followed this bottle for two days) and while it can certainly be enjoyed today, it won't hit prime time for another 4-6 years and should keep for two decades or more."
ANTONIO GALLONI 96+ POINTS - "The 2016 La Sangre de Jonata is a wine of real substance and depth. In 2016, the La Sangre is distinguished by its red fruit profile, freshness and vibrant, focused personality, all of which should allow it to age gracefully for a number of years. The 2016 is not as overt as some previous versions have been, but that is probably a very good thing for its longer term prospects. Time in the glass brings out the wine's underlying richness and pedigree."
- Item #: i_232290Bottle Size: 375mlJeb Dunnuck: 99 Points**Please note, this is a half sized bottleJEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS - "Tokaji-like with its opulent apricot, honeycomb, fig, and toffee aromas and flavors, the NV La Miel 3 is a stunning dessert wine that shows an incredible sense of richness and sweetness yet stays light on its feet and flawlessly balanced. Based on Semillon and Sauvignon Blanc, brought up in plenty of new oak, there's unfortunately not much of it to go around, but it ranks with some of the greatest dessert wines out there. Bravo!"
- Item #: i_250400Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97-100Vinous Media: 94-97Jeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsThe Insignia bottling by Joseph Phelps has always been at the top of the critic's list since day one. Moreover, it is a staple of any fine restaurant or resort. It routinely receives lofty scores, and the 2002 was even given the honor of becoming Wine Spectator's Top Wine of the Year! With the winery moving more and more towards sustainable farming, the grapes become healthier, and the wine goes from strength to strength!
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97-100 POINTS - "A barrel sample made up of 84% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Petit Verdot, 3% Cabernet Franc and 3% Malbec to be aged for 24 months in 100% new French oak, the 2016 Insignia Proprietary Red Wine has a deep garnet-purple color and is a little reticent at this still nascent stage (to be bottled in January 2019), opening out to reveal chocolate-covered cherries, wild blueberries and black raspberries with touches of underbrush, cedar chest and bouquet garni plus a hint of grilled meat. Medium to full-bodied, the palate springs forth with exciting energy, offering loads of red and black fruit layers and compelling herbal sparks, featuring a firm, fine-grained backbone and bags of freshness lifting the finish. 13,500 cases are expected to be made."
JEB DUNNUCK 96-98 POINTS - "Not yet bottled, the 2016 Insignia should match – or exceed – the 2015, yet it shows a slightly more vibrant, cooler, more classic character. Vibrant notes of creme de cassis, violets, crushed rocks, and lead pencil all give way to a full-bodied 2016 that has silky tannins, no hard edges, and thrilling purity of fruit. It's going to be reasonably approachable on release, yet I suspect won't hit prime time until 4-5 years after the vintage and should cruise for 2-3 decades."
ANTONIO GALLONI 94-97 POINTS - "The 2016 Insignia is fabulous. Dark and powerful in the glass, the 2016 pulses with a sense of vibrancy that is impossible to miss. Even with all of its energy, the 2016 is understated and nuanced, especially next to the vintages that surround it. Today, the 2016 is a bit less expressive than it has been in the past, and yet all of the elements are in place for it to develop into an exquisite wine."
- Item #: i_344311Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93eROBERT PARKER 93 POINTS: "The 2013 Charmes-Chambertin Très Vieilles Vignes has a broody, surprisingly introspective bouquet with raspberry coulis, blackcurrant and sous-bois notes, although to be frank it does not put any gap between itself and the 2013 Gevrey Fontenys. The palate is medium-bodied with fine definition, not quite as sensual as other Charmes-Chambertins that I have tasted, just a prickle of white pepper towards the finish, but it declines offering that knockout punch on the finish. And as such, pound for pound I prefer the Fontenys this year that seems to possess the same level of complexity."
- Item #: i_235910Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-95ANTONIO GALLONI 95-98 POINTS - "Kongsgaard's 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon opens with captivating aromatics. Nuanced and inviting, the 2016 offers a super-appealing interplay of lifted savory notes, dense fruit and perky energy that gives the wine its sense of focus. Veins of tannin sustain the mid-palate and finish in this electric, dazzling Cabernet Sauvignon from Kongsgaard. This is the first vintage that includes Cabernet Franc off the estate. In 2016, the blend is 80% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Cabernet Franc and 10% Merlot."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93-95 POINTS - "A barrel sample composed of 85% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Merlot and 5% Cabernet Franc, the deep garnet-purple colored 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon is intensely scented of blackberry pie, blueberry compote and creme de cassis with suggestions of cedar, baking spices and sandalwood. Full-bodied, rich and concentrated, it has lovely firm, velvety tannins and seamless freshness, finishing long and spicy."