Catalog Advanced Search
233 items were found using the following search criteria
- Collector's Corner: Yes
- Item #: i_200023Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "00 Wines is crafting some of the most exciting Chardonnays in Willamette Valley. Anjou, France, native Pierre Millemann oversees winemaking in Oregon, and he is also in charge of 00's newest projects in France, where they are making a white Burgundy and Champagne."
"The 2017 Chardonnay Richard Hermann Cuvee has intense, layered aromas of quince paste, apple pie, toast, oyster shell, white blossoms, honeyed almonds, saline and baked peaches with a classy framing of allspice and hints of mushroom tart and tree bark. The medium-bodied palate is incredibly intense and silky, with tangy opposing acidity and a very long, layered, tensile finish. This is so good!"
- Item #: i_200034Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Advocate: 92ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2018 Chardonnay VGW has very pretty aromas of crushed apples, roasted almonds and hay with touches of dried white flowers and savory green herbs in the background. In the mouth, it's delicately styled and incredibly silky in texture, fleshing out to savory fruits and enlivened by seamless acidity on the long, lifted finish. 628 cases produced."
- Item #: i_200013Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2018 Chardonnay Chehalem Mountain takes time to open on the nose. It's worth the wait, unfolding to gorgeous aromas of spring honey, hazelnuts, flint, pastry and a rich core of quince paste and floral perfume. Medium-bodied, the palate is incredibly silky, its broad, rich character refreshed by bright acidity, finishing elegantly and flavorful. This is a savory, mineral-driven Chardonnay that has the structure and flesh to give plenty more with bottle time. 54 cases were made."
- Item #: i_200035Bottle Size: 750mlROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2018 Pinot Noir Shea is made from hand-destemmed grapes fermented in a 500-liter terra cotta amphora. Medium ruby-purple in color, it opens slowly on the nose to wild red and black berries with broody touches of earth, tar and aniseed. The medium-bodied palate offers intense, seamlessly framed earth-laced fruits, and it finishes long and nuanced. There's more to come but this is youthfully shy, so give it another couple years bottle. 137 cases were made."
- Item #: i_350101Bottle Size: 3 LITERWine Advocate: 94+eROBERT PARKER 94+ POINTS: "The 2005 Alion has a captivating perfume of smoke, pencil lead, violets, truffle, cherry, and blackberry. On the palate it is medium to full-bodied, firm, sweetly-fruited, layered, and splendidly balanced. It has several years of aging potential and will offer prime drinking from 2013 to 2025."
- Item #: i_200340Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Located in an ancient volcanic zone in the Sonoma County, Knights Valley (pictured above) offers incredibly unique and diverse soils with a climate perfectly suited to Bordeaux varietals, as demonstrated by the delicious wines made by Peter Michael, Keplinger and Beringer. Anakota is one of Knights Valley's stars that produces wines that personify the rustic elegance and spirit of this volcanic area. With Mount St. Helena looking down upon the vineyard, prevailing westerly winds pass over a large, cold pond and blow uphill, parallel to the rows of vines. These cooling breezes slow down the ripening of the grapes and result in wines that are packed with elegance, complexity and finesse. The wines are crafted by Pierre Seillan, whose deft hand has also created 100 point wines at Verite!
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "Fruit for this was harvested on September 8th, and the wine was bottled six months ago. Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Helena Montana Vineyard gives up exuberant notions of warm blueberries, creme de cassis, lilacs and chocolate box with hints of fertile loam, licorice and menthol. Medium-bodied, elegant, very fresh and juicy, the palate has beautifully ripe, fine-grained tannins supporting the generous fruit, finishing long and perfumed. 1,200 cases produced."
- Item #: i_201560Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 96Arrow and Branch proprietors (and Laguna Beach locals) Steve and Seanne Contursi share a great love for the wines of Bordeaux, particularly those produced with a large quantity of Cabernet Franc, such as Chateau Cheval Blanc. The couple sought out their Coombsville vineyard property with an eye to producing top-quality Cabernet Franc-based wines from Napa Valley. They bought the Arrow and Branch Vineyard in November 2007, as this vineyard was the source of Tony Soter's renowned and highly rated Little Creek Cabernet Franc. The Contursi's have maintained the organic farming and, through their work with the detail-oriented Viticulturalist Mike Wolf, are continually improving this wonderful vineyard site.
The Contursi's also work with a select few vineyards, whose owners share the same dedication to meticulous farming. Located in Oakville, Vine Hill Ranch vineyard is tucked along the wooded hills of the Mayacama Mountain Range. This premier site has been in a family for several generations and is farmed with precision by Vineyard Manager Mike Wolf. Napa Valley growers—Hopper, Whitton, Hahn, Taddei—have farmed Vine Hill Ranch since 1884, documenting their annual plantings of grapevines, plums, pears and other crops. Following the footsteps of those pioneering families, Bruce Kelham purchased the land in 1959. He was a dedicated preservationist who moved to Napa to cultivate wine grapes after playing a role in establishing the Point Reyes National Seashore. Kelham's descendants, the Phillips family, began cultivating fine wine grapes here in 1959 and, with the founding of Phillips Family Farming. The vineyard is on a sloping grade, and with its deep, loamy soils and mature vines, yield expressive dark and rich fruit flavors with beautiful energy for this single vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, with the first vintage from 2017.
JEB DUNNUCK 96+ POINTS - "Coming all from the Clone 4 of Cabernet Sauvignon and a great site in Oakville, the 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Vine Hill Ranch Vineyard sports an inky purple color as well as a deep, powerful, mineral-laced bouquet that include lots of currants, leafy herbs, crushed rocks, and lead pencil shaving. It needs 4-5 years of bottle age, but it's a magical 2017 that's well worth seeking out."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Vine Hill Ranch is made of 100% Clone 4 Cabernet Sauvignon aged 20 months in 100% new French oak. Deep garnet-purple colored, it is a little closed to begin, opening out to notions of baked cherries, cassis and mulberries with touches of unsmoked cigars, tar, chargrill and sauteed herbs plus a waft of tapenade. Full-bodied and laden with loads of preserved cherries and savory layers, it has a sturdy frame of chunky tannins and a lively lift to the finish."
- Item #: i_201600Bottle Size: 750mlLast year we attended the inaugural Sonoma County Barrel Auction. This was an event where wineries from throughout Sonoma County gathered to showcase wines that they have not bottled before, and to keep their wines unique, they don't plan on bottling them again! Last week we showcased the unique Pinot Noir from Patz & Hall, perhaps the best Pinot Noir they have ever made. This time, it's an amazing Syrah & Cabernet Sauvignon blend from one of our favorite Sonoma County producers...Arrowood!
Arrowood Winery is pure Sonoma. The winery's influence in the region endures since the first wines were made three decades ago. Created exclusively for the Sonoma County Barrel Auction, Winemaker Kristina Weerner selected the top lots from the vintage to craft a unique blend of Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon. The Syrah comes from the Russian River Valley's acclaimed Saralee's vineyard. It is not uncommon for Arrowood's Syrah from this vineyard to score in the "outstanding" range with famed critic Robert Parker, and the Syrah for this blend was co-fermented with Viognier, which actually makes the wine darker and gives it more aromatics and texture. With that, they blended in 30% Cabernet Sauvignon from the Smothers-Remick Ridge Vineyard, a phenomenal property that sits roughly 600 feet above the valley floor in the northern Sonoma Mountains. It features 18 acres of Cabernet Sauvignon divided into 11 distinctive blocks that mirror the terroir. Known for its small, flavorful berries, this mountain site produced balanced wines with refined tannins. In the end, Kristina decided the best wine was blended of 70% Syrah and 30% Cabernet Sauvignon...and that's what we have here!
Only 10 cases were bottled, and you can't get this wine at the winery, even if you're a member of their wine club! This is a gorgeous red blend, and it displays a lovely ruby/garnet color with aromas of freshly crushed cherry, raspberry, red currant, strawberry shortcake, vanilla, and hints of oak. After a short bit of time to breathe, aromas of smoke, Asian spices, and grilled meat begin to emerge. On the palate, the subtle hints of spice continues, along with black fruit, black cherry, a briary quality, cured meat, and plum. The finish is fairly long, with pronounced tannins that give a nice frame to the wine. Absolutely delectable, this is a wine that can easily be enjoyed now, but will continue to develop nicely in the cellar for another 7-10 years!
- Item #: i_201105Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96+ POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple in color, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon gives up exuberant crushed blackcurrants, warm plums, wild blueberries and cloves with suggestions of violets, tilled black soil, tar, chargrill and cedar chest with a waft of unsmoked cigars. The palate is medium to full-bodied, firm, grainy and refreshing with incredible intensity, finishing very long and earthy."
- Item #: i_200610Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97-99ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97-99 POINTS - "A relatively new vineyard label for Aubert (the third vintage to be produced), the 2019 Chardonnay Powder House comes from eight acres of what are now estate-owned vines planted in 2013 to Hyde Old Wente and Mt. Eden clones on Goldridge soils. It prances out of the glass with showy scents of fresh nectarines, pink grapefruit, lime leaves and preserved lemons plus hints of struck flint and wet pebbles. The full-bodied palate possesses an almost electric intensity with bags of nervy citrusy flavors and a very lively backbone, finishing with great length and oodles of minerals. This should age fantastically!"
- Item #: i_200615Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96-98Vinous Media: 95-97ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96-98 POINTS - "A barrel sample, the 2019 Chardonnay UV-SL opens with compelling floral notes—honeysuckle and lime blossoms—over a core of red apples, green guava and honeydew melon with underlying suggestions of baking bread, allspice and marzipan. The full-bodied palate has a pleasant hint of phenolic grip to the texture with seamless acidity supporting the densely laden apple and tropical fruit flavors, finishing long and yeasty/toasty."
ANTONIO GALLONI 95-97 POINTS - "The 2019 Chardonnay UV-SL Vineyard is laced with the essence of tangerine oil, ginger, passionfruit and white flowers. Tropical and lush, yet also remarkably elegant, the UV-SL is so expressive today. A hint of reduction adds character, as does a slightly phenolic edge that drives through to the finish."
- Item #: i_202630Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 95If you have ever thought about venturing into Oregon Pinot Noirs, now is your time! And if you are an Oregon Pinot Noir zealot, now is your time! 2015 is going down in the record books as one of the best vintages in the history of the state, with warm weather throughout most of the growing season, and the sun shining bright during harvest. The wines are forward, inviting, complex, and nuanced. Located in the Ribbon Ridge sub-region of the Willamette Valley, Beaux Freres is planted on steep, contiguous southward facing hillsides of Willakenzie soils, comprised of old marine sediment. With a focus on biodynamic farming, the vines are planted at high density and some vines on the property are 30 years old, with several being own rooted!
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 95 POINTS - "Brilliant ruby. Intense red and blue fruit, floral and spice qualities on the highly perfumed nose, along with hints of cola and licorice. Juicy and precise, offering concentrated raspberry, boysenberry and floral pastille flavors that take on a five-spice-powder nuance with air. Plays power off delicacy with a sure hand and finishes extremely long and silky, with polished tannins framing lingering red fruit and candied rose notes. 45% new oak."
- Item #: i_277886Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95+Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "I was able to taste to two vintages of the Private Reserve, and the 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon Private Reserve comes from a vintage loved by the estate. The final blend is the normal 97% Cabernet Sauvignon, 2% Cabernet Franc, and the rest Petit Verdot brought up in 85% new French oak. This full-bodied, ripe, voluptuous beauty shows the vintage to a T, offering a blast of sweet blackcurrants, licorice, ground herbs, and graphite aromas and flavors. Blockbuster styled, with full body and an expansive, sexy texture, it has the depth and density to continue drinking brilliantly for 20+ years."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95+ POINTS - "Containing the tiniest splashes of Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot, the 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon Private Reserve has a deep garnet-purple color and nose of plum preserves, baked blackberries and cassis with hints of menthol, sandalwood and chocolate box. Full-bodied with soft, seductive tannins and a lively backbone supporting the generous, ripe, opulent fruit, it has a decadent spiciness and great length."
- Item #: i_374322Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS-"Entirely vinified in oak and disgorged in May 2018, after 15 years on the lees in bottle, the 2002 Millésime Brut Le Clos Saint-Hilaire is a single-plot Blanc de Noirs from Pinot Noir vines planted in Mareuil-sur-Aÿ in 1964. Highly fine and pure on the deep, elegant and spicy nose, with intense mirabelle and apricot flavors, this is a pure, salty, very finessed yet tensioned, complex, mineral and refreshing Pinot with intense and well-concentrated fruit, a juicy texture and persistent structure. The finish is very long but pure, fresh, salty and, in any case, highly stimulating! Total production: 3,700 bottles. Tasted November 2018."
- Item #: i_204410Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97+Vinous Media: 98Jeb Dunnuck: 100JEB DUNNUCK 100 POINTS - "Moving to the single vineyard releases, the 2016 Melbury is pure perfection in a glass and is the finest vintage of this cuvee I've tasted. Awesome notes of cassis, blackcurrants, toasted bread, white flowers, and spice give way to an ethereal, seamless, yet opulent wine that has that rare mix of power and elegance possessed by all truly great wines. Full-bodied, concentrated, and with building yet perfectly ripe tannins, do your best to give bottles 4-5 years of bottle age. It will evolve effortlessly for 30 years or more."
ANTONIO GALLONI 98 POINTS - "The 2016 Melbury is powerful and yet medium in body, with layers of exotic spice, dark red cherry, blood orange, leather, licorice and star anise that give it an exotic character I don't remember seeing in the past. Despite its mid-weight profile, the Melbury has plenty of supporting structure. Over the last year, the Melbury has gained a bit of weight, but remains quite focused. Sometimes the Melbury suffers by being the first vineyard-designate poured at Bond. Its remarkable allure is evident nonetheless. This is an impressive showing."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97+ POINTS - "Overlooking Lake Hennessy up on Pritchard Hill, Melbury vineyard has produced a beautifully elegant and vivacious signature in 2016, which clearly reveals the personality that this incredible site tends to want to give. Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2016 Melbury comes bounding out of the glass with expressive black and red currants notes followed by wild blueberries, warm plums, pencil shavings and wild sage plus wafts of lavender and crushed rocks. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is practically electric with energetic fruit, framed by firm, grainy tannins and invigorating freshness, finishing long and minerally."
- Item #: i_204500Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97+Vinous Media: 97ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97+ POINTS - "Very deep purple-black colored, the 2014 Pluribus offers up notions of crushed black plums, black currant cordial and pencil shavings over a meaty core of chargrill and beef drippings plus hints of Chinese five spice and underbrush. Full-bodied and firmly framed with chewy tannins and a lively backbone, it features plenty of earthy and savory layers, finishing long and minerally."
ANTONIO GALLONI 97 POINTS - "The 2014 Pluribus is stellar. Once again, I am deeply impressed with the Pluribus. Inky blue/purplish fruit, lavender, mint, plum and licorice infuse this super-expressive, resonant Spring Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon. Pluribus is the most improved Bond wine. This flight of 2014 makes that quite evident."
- Item #: i_310041Bottle Size: 720mlWINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS The medium-sweet NV (non vintage) Born Chogin Junmai Daiginjo shows opulent fruity notes together with a hint of pine nut, fresh almond and spices from its five-year-aging at 10 degrees Celsius in the cellar. It provides superb mouthfeel and is super fruity on the palate. So sexy and seductive! Seimaibuai: 20%. Rice: Yamada Nishiki. Alcohol: 16%.
This superior Junmai Daiginjo is carefully aged for 5 years at -8 degrees Celsius. The extraordinary aroma and deep flavor is remarkable. A true gem that represents the very best in the world of Japanese sake, this sake is said to be a favorite of the Imperial family in Japan.
Sake Rice: Yamadanishiki
Region: Fukui Prefecture
Polishing Ratio: 20%
- Item #: i_206080Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 99 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS - "My favorite of the Chardonnay releases is the 2018 Chardonnay 3D, and this beauty has everything you could want from a Sta. Rita Hills release. Medium gold-hued, with a stunning nose of stone fruits, white currants, crushed stone, toasted bread, and a hints of green almonds, it hits the palate with full-bodied richness, a seamless, elegant texture, flawless balance, and a great, great finish. It's one of the finest Chardonnays in this report."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "The 2018 Chardonnay 3D is a stunning wine with intense layers and mega intense perfume! It leaps from the glass with elderflower, quince, white peaches and baklava plus loads of honeyed nuances. The palate is medium-bodied and satiny with full, broad, perfectly ripe fruit character opposed by gently tangy acidity, and it finishes very long and very layered. 750 cases produced."
- Item #: i_207440Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 95JEB DUNNUCK 95+ POINTS - "One of the flagship releases, the 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Benchland Select is all Cabernet Sauvignon that spent 22 months in 60% new French oak. Deep purple-hued with a classic Cabernet nose of blackcurrants, cassis, graphite, cedary spice, and chocolate, this puppy hits the palate with full-bodied richness, an elegant, seamless texture, a chalky minerality, and a great finish. It's a smoking good Cabernet Sauvignon that will improve with 2-5 years of bottle age and cruise for two decades or more. This 2017 matches what this estate achieved in 2016 and 2015."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "Bottled only three weeks ago, the 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Benchland Select is 100% Cabernet Sauvignon, with 44% of the fruit coming from Vine Hill Ranch, 52% from Hill Ranch and 4% from Cakebread Oakville Ranch. It was aged 22 months in 60% new French oak. Very deep purple-black colored, it slowly emerges from the glass to reveal notions of baked black cherries, stewed black plums and warm cassis with touches of aged meat, dark chocolate, bay leaves and pencil shavings. Medium to full-bodied, the palate packs in the black fruits, supported by bags of freshness and a firm, grainy texture, finishing long and with tons of energy."
- Item #: i_206980Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96+Vinous Media: 96ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96+ POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2015 Cardinale Cabernet Sauvignon (containing 10% Merlot) gives beautiful red, black and blue fruit notes with touches of dried herbs, spice cake and unsmoked cigars, plus a waft of cedar. Medium to full-bodied, it has a firm structure with plenty of gregarious mid-palate fruit, finishing with a lingering herbal lift. This seductive blockbuster is temptingly drinkable now and it should age gracefully over 15-20 years. 2,579 cases produced."
ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "The 2015 Cardinale is dark, sensual and totally beguiling. Voluptuous fruit and soft, racy contours make a strong opening statement. The dark cherry, mocha, smoke, plum, spice and new leather flavors are all amped up in a seamless, alluring Cardinale that is going to be nearly impossible to resist in its youth. There is so much to like here."
- Item #: i_206890Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 96ANTONIO GALLONI 97 POINTS - "A resounding success for the year, the 2017 Cardinale is truly impressive. It is also one of the most refined young wines I have tasted here. In most vintages, Cardinale is predominantly made from mountain sites, but the 2017 is roughly equal parts mountain and valley floor fruit. Inky blue/purplish fruit, white flowers, lavender and mint all build in the glass. Lifted and beautifully perfumed, the 2017 is exceptionally polished."
JEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "A blend of 96% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% Merlot from throughout the valley that was brought up in 80% new French oak, the 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon is dominated by its Stags Leap fruit (which is 30% of the blend) and has the classic elegance and spicy character of that district as well as great red and blue fruits, a seamless, building mid-palate, ripe yet present tannins, and ample tobacco, earth, and spice aromas and flavors. It's plush and textured on the palate yet has the structure to evolve for two decades."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "There was no Wallis vineyard fruit used this vintage. Very deep purple-black colored, the 2017 Cardinale charges out of the glass with notes of fresh blackcurrants, blackberries and Black Forest cake plus hints of menthol, cardamom, baking spices and lilacs plus a waft of cigar box. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is built like a brick house with firm, grainy, ripe tannins and fantastic freshness supporting the taut, muscular black fruits, finishing long and mineral laced. 1,440 cases produced."
- Item #: i_207610Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsANTONIO GALLONI 95 POINTS - "These bottled 2018s from Mike Officer and Carlisle are fabulous. Ordinarily, I would also report on the new vintage from tank, but the 2019s were just about to be bottled at the time of my tasting (on Zoom of course) so timing did not work out. Among these wines, the Carlisle Vineyard Zinfandel and the Syrah and Mourvèdre from Radiant Ridge are especially notable."
"The 2018 Syrah Radiant Ridge is fabulous. Inky, rich and savory, the 2018 captures all of the signatures of this cool site on the border of the Bennett Valley appellation. Black pepper, lavender, sage and spice add layers of dimension to a core on blue/purplish fruit. The 20% whole clusters are beautifully woven into the wine's fabric. What I admire most about the 2018 is the interplay of textural richness and cool-climate savoriness. The 2018 is a compelling wine. That's all there is to it."
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "From the cooler Bennett Valley in Sonoma, the 2018 Syrah Radiant Ridge Vineyard is all Syrah and has a cool-climate, complex, almost Cornas-like vibe that I certainly love. Black and blue fruits, olives, bacon fat, and ground pepper all dominate the bouquet, and this beauty hits the palate with loads of Syrah meatiness, medium to full body, ripe, polished (yet present) tannins, and a great finish. It's beautifully done and is undeniably California Syrah yet seems to have one foot in the Northern Rhone."
- Item #: i_208730Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95+Jeb Dunnuck: 94During his annual winter trip to the Napa Valley, our domestic buyer was tasting wines atop Howell Mountain. If you know anything about the layout of the Napa Valley, Howell Mountain is an area where many of the best wines are made, including Lail, O'Shaughnessy, Lokoya, La Jota, Arkenstone, Dunn, Cimarossa...you get the point. But to make another point, there was a new label showing their wine. Now, this happens every year, but this wine...stood out. Proprietors Dave and Kathleen Decesaris have a pretty long history in the wine industry. We's like to think that they "honed in" their Napa Valley know-how while shopping at our store, but it's really all Kathleen's background. See, she was a wine educator at Freemark Abbey in the 1990's, which gave her easy access to the regions very best growers, vintners, and winemakers. As for Dave, during an impromptu day trip to Napa Valley, Dave followed the advice he came across in a randomly purchased guidebook and visited Freemark Abbey Winery. It was there that he met his soon to be wife and partner, Kathleen, who introduced him to the basics of viticulture and the concept of vineyard-designated wines. This introduction to the importance of site and mesoclimate ignited his passion to produce single vineyard, single varietal Napa Valley cabernets.
Their Howell Mountain vineyard, surrounding forest and rugged mountain scenery is reminiscentof the continuous interaction between the unique natural elements of the site and the vines. Rocky soils combined with warm days and cool night privide an ideal microclimate for Cabernet Sauvignon. Sustainably farmed by highly acclaimed viticulturist Jim Barbour (who has also farmed the properties at Hundred Acre, Kelly Fleming, and Au Sommet), the rocky, volcanic soils, excellent drainage and long growing season of this west facing Howell Montain AVA site combine to produce complex fruit featuring ripe yet age-worthy tannins, crisp acidity and alluring mountain cabernet flavors.
Celia Welch is one of North America's most significant winemakers and believes wine should speak to the unique qualities and characteristics of the vineyard. Her exceptionally talented hand has crafted some of the most notable Cabernet Sauvignons to come out of the Napa Valley, including Scarecrow, Staglin, Lindstrom, and her own Corra label
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95+ POINTS - "This is my first time tasting this new project high up on Howell Mountain with winemaker Celia Welch and WOW—what an impressive start! I asked Celia how she managed to produce a wine of such crunchiness, freshness and purity in 2017. 'It probably barely got above 90 degrees during the Labor Day heat wave up there,' she said with a smile. The longer, cooler growing season certainly shows in the finesse of these beauties. A vineyard to watch!"
"Medium to deep garnet-purple colored, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon has a slightly broody nose to begin, offering glimpses at damp earth, charcoal and underbrush scents over a core of warm cassis, blackberry pie and black raspberries with touches of pencil lead and dried Provence herbs. Medium to full-bodied, the palate has bold freshness and a myriad of earthy sparks, framed by ripe grainy tannins, finishing long with tons of bright, crunchy black fruit. 250 cases were made."
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "Showing similar to last year, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain is a terrific wine offering full-bodied aromas and flavors of crème de cassis, tobacco leaf, incense, and gravelly minerality. Pure, balanced, and elegant, it's a terrific wine that will keep for two decades."
- Item #: i_210400Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsThis limited-production and highly sought-after Cabernet Sauvignon represents the pinnacle of Chappellet winemaking, and embodies the elegant power and complexity of Pritchard Hill winegrowing. Like the great Bordeaux wines that first inspired Donn Chappellet, this wine is crafted by blending Cabernet Sauvignon with other classic Bordeaux varieties. The wine was aged for 20 months in 100 percent new French oak. Grown on the estate's rocky, mountainside vineyards, Chappellet's Cabernets have consistently displayed an ability to age for several decades.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Pritchard Hill comes bounding out of the glass with exuberant black cherries, warm cassis, chocolate pie and blackberry preserves notes plus nuances of wild sage, forest floor and tobacco. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is elegantly played and refreshing with velvety tannins and a long mineral-tinged finish."
JEB DUNNUCK 95+ POINTS - "The flagship is the 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Pritchard Hill, and this cuvee just about always represents the pinnacle of mountain Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa Valley. The 2017 is 100% estate Cabernet Sauvignon and reveals a deep purple color as well a stunning bouquet of blue fruits, burning embers, dark chocolate, sage brush, and crushed rocks. It's powerful, full-bodied, and concentrated, and the tannins clamp down on the finish enough to warrant hiding this beauty in the cellar for a solid 5-7 years. If drinking today, give it an hour or two in a decanter. It's another stunning wine from this estate."
ANTONIO GALLONI 95 POINTS - "The 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Pritchard Hill is a positively stellar wine in this challenging year. Creme de cassis, licorice, lavender, chocolate, spice and espresso all run through the 2017. This is an especially inky, flamboyant style for Chappellet, but all the elements come together very nicely."
- Item #: i_212240Bottle Size: 750mlMade by Michael Browne (formerlly of Kosta Browne), this Russian River Valley Pinot Noir has aromas of violet, hibiscus, and dried rose petals. Subtle notes of light earth, ripe cherry, allspice and aged tobacco leaf. The palate has layers of black cherry, dark plum and lightly candied apple. A mouth-watering red-velvety texture, with lively acidity, a combination of soft and grippy tannins and a full mouth finish, centered on the mid-palate.
- Item #: i_334136Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "A beautiful wine and one of my favorites from this estate, this blend of nearly two-thirds Cabernet Sauvignon and one-third Merlot is aging impressively. Dense ruby/purple in color, with creme de cassis, charcoal, and sweet leathery and chocolatey notes intermixed with the classic Pauillac cedar and spice box, the wine is medium to full-bodied, fleshy, with sweet tannin and a long finish."
- Item #: i_214700Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98Jeb Dunnuck: 99JEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS - "The flagship is the 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Poetry, which is based on 88% Cabernet Sauvignon, 7% Cabernet Franc, 4% Petit Verdot, and the balance Merlot. Straight-up awesome notes of black raspberries, blueberries, smoked tobacco, violets, spice box, and gravelly earth as well as a bloody, meaty character all emerge from this magical wine. With full-bodied richness, ultra-fine tannins, flawless balance, and a great, great finish, it doesn't have the sheer opulence of the 2016 or 2015 yet shows a more classical, elegant, style that still packs ample richness and depth. It needs 4-5 years of bottle age and will keep for 20 years or more. It's a candidate for the wine of the vintage and is an incredible achievement for this team. Bravo."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple in color, the 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Poetry gives up creme de cassis, baked plums, blueberry compote, chocolate box, earth and aniseed scents on the nose with wafts of cedar chest and pencil lead. Full-bodied, firm and grainy, it is concentrated, very classy and multilayered with great energy and a long finish."
- Item #: i_381949Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 99WINE ADVOCATE 99 POINTS - A blend of 85% Garnacha and 15% Syrah, 2018 Clos Erasmus comes from a year with good yields and enough rain for good ripeness of the grapes. The vines are now 36 years old on average, and the grapes fermented after a cold soak in 1,000-, 1,500- and 2,000-liter oak vats with indigenous yeasts and a five-week maceration. It matured in new and second use Burgundian 228-liter oak barrels, with around 40% new oak. This is a very elegant and perfumed vintage for Clos Erasmus, a wine that reveals a bright ruby color and a exotic nose that mixes flowers with tons of sweet spices. It is still very young and influenced by the élevage in oak, with something herbal and fresh, reminiscent of pine needles. The palate is textured and velvety, lace and dust, with fine-grained tannins that bring back the memories of the slate rocks; it is pure and detailed and has terrible balance, focus, inner strength, filigree and subdued minerality. I'd wait a little bit for the oak to get integrated before pulling the cork. It has the ingredients, stuffing and balance to develop nicely in bottle for a long time. 3,319 bottles and 100 magnums produced. It was bottled in May 2020."
In a region now filled with big names, Daphne Glorian has been a quiet godmother to the younger generations of winemakers, continuing to promote the good name of Priorat with her exceptional and highly sought-after wines. Her boutique estate of 10 hectares barely produces 140 cases each year, so her first label, Clos Erasmus, is inevitably scarce and expensive. Deservedly so, however, as this is one of the regions' and indeed Spain's greatest of all red wines – rich, powerful, dense and exotically perfumed. Clos Erasmus is also one of the few Spanish wines ever to achieve 100 Parker points, proof that the Priorat region in the right hands produces wines to rival the finest from Rioja and Ribera Del Duero.
- Item #: i_212630Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98-100Continuum is estate grown on their Sage Mountain Vineyard. It's location, high on Pritchard Hill along the eastern ridge above Oakville, overlooks Napa Valley and the San Francisco Bay. 38 acres of mature estate vineyard, planted in 1991 and 1996, with additional plantings in 2004 and 2010, together comprise 38 distinct vineyard blocks. Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot, and Merlot are grown from 1300 to 1600 feet in elevation, on western and southern facing aspects with slight northern and eastern slopes in places. This diversity of plantings on our volcanic soils are the essence of the complexity of Continuum.
The 2018 growing season was a winemaker's dream - cool weather patterns followed much needed rain, but plenty of sunshine allowed the fruit to ripen beautifully. 2018 Continuum expresses purity and precision, with high tone aromatics of red and blue fruit, deep plum and rose oil. This vintage shows an approachable nerve of the land in the refined mineral quality and earthy, savory profile. A shimmering, silky and harmoniously integrated wine with densely packed fine grain tannins.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 98-100 POINTS - "Composed of 54% Cabernet Sauvignon, 31% Cabernet Franc, 9% Petit Verdot and 6% Merlot, the deep garnet-purple 2018 Proprietary Red has a fantastically fragrant nose of candied violets, red roses, Morello cherries and blackcurrant pastilles with hints of wild blueberries, red currant jelly, iron ore and forest floor, plus a waft of cinnamon stick. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is completely packed with tightly wound black and red berry layers, framed by firm, ripe, finely grained tannins and seamless freshness, finishing with incredibly persistent and evocative floral and mineral layers. An absolute head-turner, this 2018 is all that and then some. Tim Mondavi mentioned that this is due to be bottled in just a few weeks—mid-August—meaning this barrel sample I tasted is pretty close to being a finished wine. With the estate vineyard turning 10 year's old in 2018, here's where we see how incredibly special this singular Pritchard Hill site really is."
- Item #: i_213910Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 94Roger Bower, the owner and visionary behind Crown Point, purchased the property after recognizing its potential to produce world-class Cabernet Sauvignon. Crown Point is a true vanguard in the region, crafting premium wines that rival the best throughout the world. Nestled in the eastern-most foothills of the east-to-west transverse valley of the Happy Canyon of Santa Barbara AVA (American Viticultural Area), Crown Point is blessed with distinct climatic conditions and soil types that provide an ideal growing environment for Bordeaux varieties.
Winemaker Adam Henkel joined Roger in 2013. Adam, who spent 10 years in the Napa Valley, including eight years at Harlan Estate in Oakville, had long been fascinated by the viticultural diversity and geographical grandeur of Santa Barbara County. His pursuit at Crown Point has been to express the unique characteristics and individuality of the region's preeminent vineyards through farming and winemaking at the highest possible level.
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "the deep, inky colored 2015 Estate Selection is a blend of 71% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% each of Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot, and Malbec, and the rest Merlot, aged 26 months in new French oak. This beauty boasts a fabulous bouquet of blackcurrants, melted licorice, cigar wrapper, and tobacco leaf, with more spice and dried flower notes coming through with time in the glass. Deep, rich, full-bodied, and elegant, with beautiful purity as well as ripe tannin, it certainly has the class to drink nicely today, yet will be even better with 2-3 years of bottle age and keep for two decades."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2015 Estate Selection is a blend of 71% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% Cabernet Franc, 9% Petit Verdot, 9% Malbec and 2% Merlot. Deep garnet-purple colored, it sings of perfumed kirsch, warm black cherries, cassis and plums with touches of rose hip tea, eucalyptus, baking spices, violets and fragrant earth. Full-bodied, rich and spicy in the mouth, it has a firm, velvety texture and loads of layers, finishing with a lively lift. 509 cases produced."
- Item #: i_213900Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94-96Jeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 94-96 POINTS - "Owner Roger Bower's Crown Point Vineyards, with help from the team of Philippe Melka and Maayan Koschitzky, are unquestionably fashioning some of the top Bordeaux blends coming out of Santa Barbara County today. The young Frenchman Simone Faury has replaced Adam Henkel as head winemaker, and unquestionably, the future is very bright for this address."
"Functioning as the second wine of the estate (meaning younger vines and blocks that didn't make the selection for the top cuvee), the 2018 Relevant checks in as 85% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Cabernet Franc, and 5% Petit Verdot that spent 22 months in barrel. Beautifully pure cassis, violets, flowery incense, and spice notes all emerge from this beauty, which is soft, supple, layered, and just impossible to resist. It's an opulent, sexy wine that certainly doesn't taste like a second wine at this point."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94-96 POINTS - "The 2018 Relevant is a blend of 85% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Cabernet Franc and 5% Petit Verdot from younger vines and blocks on the property, and it is still aging in barrel. Deep ruby, if offers classic cassis, cedar, graphite and crushed boysenberry aromas with hints of Chinese Five Spice and licorice. The palate is medium to full-bodied with concentrated but fresh fruit character, a finely pixelated frame and seamless freshness, finishing long and super classy. 900 cases are expected to be made."
- Item #: i_214180Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 95ANTONIO GALLONI 95 POINTS - "The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon is super-refined, polished and articulate, with mid-weight structure and fine overall balance. Readers should expect a somewhat laid-back wine by Dalla Valle's standards. In 2014, the Cabernet Sauvignon is especially aromatic and nuanced. It should drink well with minimal cellaring."
- Item #: i_214170Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95+Vinous Media: 95+ANTONIO GALLONI 95+ POINTS - "The 2014 Maya is powerful, compact and closed in on itself. That's not much of a surprise given the wine was just bottled a few months ago. Dark, powerful and intense, the 2014 offers plenty of energy, but is also holding back much of its potential at this stage. The blend is 75% Cabernet Sauvignon and 25% Cabernet Franc, which is to say more Cabernet than has been the norm in recent years. There is plenty of intensity to the pomegranate, plum, red cherry and blood orange flavors, but the wine needs time to come into its own."
ROBERT PARKER 95+ POINTS - "...the 2014 Maya Proprietary Red may not be as perfect as the 2013 was, but it is a fabulous effort. Finishing at 14.6% alcohol, this wine (generally a blend of about 60% Cabernet Franc and the rest Cabernet Sauvignon) has incredibly gorgeous aromatics of black and blue fruits, forest floor, violets, and an almost Graves-like, scorched earth, gravelly nuance. The wine hits the palate with a full-bodied richness and terrific harmony among its structural elements such as alcohol, acidity, tannin and wood, with moderately sweet tannins in the finish. It is a good 30- to 35-year wine, as most Mayas have tended to be, and is impressive and surprisingly structured for a 2014. Forget it for 3-4 years and drink it over the following 35-40 years."
- Item #: i_214160Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94-96Vinous Media: 94+ANTONIO GALLONI 94+ POINTS - "Naoko Dalla Valle's 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon is an exotically ripe, flamboyant wine that captures the best the vintage has to offer. A rush of black cherry and plum fruit makes a bold opening statement. The 2015 was just bottled and is naturally quite primary at this stage. Readers should plan on cellaring it for at least a few years, which will allow the aromatics to open up. The Dalla Valle Cabernet Sauvignon usually starts drinking well at around age ten. I expect that will be the case here as well."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94-96 POINTS - "Inky purple colored, the 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate leaps from the glass with youthful, exuberant red and black currants notes over scents of garrigue, cedar, violets, rose hip, iron ore, dusty earth and underbrush. Medium to full-bodied, finely constructed and with bags of finesse, it sports a solid line of very fine-grained tannins and impressive earth-inspired layers, finishing with great persistence. This was tasted as a barrel sample."
- Item #: i_214230Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96-98Vinous Media: 97+Jeb Dunnuck: 100 PointsLocated in the foothills of the Vaca Mountains in Eastern Oakville, Dalla Valle’s “Maya” bottling is one of the sexiest cult wines you can get! Proprietor Naoko Dalla Valle cuts no corners as she seeks to produce the best possible wine from her property. As dictated by naturally low-yielding soils composed primarily of fractured volcanic rock, Dalla Valle keeps fruit production tightly controlled. At the helm of winemaking is Andy Erickson (who has also made the wines at Screaming Eagle in the past), and he makes several passes through the vineyards each harvest so that only clusters of grapes at optimal ripeness and maturity are harvested. Dalla Valle’s Maya bottling showcases the site’s exceptional Cabernet Franc; it is grace and power all in one, and fewer than 500 cases are produced each year. This year, the wines has received the perfect 100 point score from Jeb Dunnuck.
JEB DUNNUCK 100 POINTS - "As good as it gets, yet in a different style compared to the also perfect 2016, the 2015 Maya Proprietary Red Wine boasts a sensational, ethereal, heavenly style to go with tons of cassis and blackberry fruits intermixed with notions of dried earth, tobacco, chocolate, and a beautiful sense of minerality. This cuvée is normally a blend of 60-70% Cabernet Sauvignon and the rest Cabernet Franc, and it’s the Cabernet Franc that gives it another layer of complexity and elegance. The sexy, upfront nature of the 2015 vintage is front and center. This is a magical wine to drink over the coming 3+ decades."
ANTONIO GALLONI 97+ POINTS - "The 2015 Maya is surprisingly powerful and tightly wound. Time in the glass allows the tannins to relax just enough for the fruit to gradually emerge. Like all of the 2015s here, the Maya is still very primary in its expression of fruit. Even so, the wine's heady, flamboyant personality is very much on display. Dark cherry, plum, mocha, licorice, lavender and exotic spice overtones gradually develop in the glass, but it will be years before the 2015 enters its prime."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96-98 POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2015 Maya Proprietary Red Wine opens with sweet plums, spice box and kirsch notes with nuances of vanillin, cocoa powder, dried herbs and loam. Medium to full-bodied, soft, approachable and very sexy even at this youthful stage, it has a long, perfumed finish. This was tasted as a barrel sample."
- Item #: i_214190Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "What could be thought of as the entry-level wine from this benchmark estate, the 2017 Collina is a blend of 50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 35% Cabernet Franc, and the rest Petit Verdot. There's not much made (600 cases) but it's a beautiful wine that certainly has the classic vibe of the estate as well as medium to full body, a rounded, textured mouthfeel, solid mid-palate density, and beautiful cassis, currants, Asian spice, and flowery incense aromatics. Given the prices of Napa Valley Bordeaux blends these days, it's a stunning value."
- Item #: i_214100Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97+Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97+ POINTS - "This is truly one of the most magical vineyards to visit in Napa Valley—poised on a ledge in the Vaca Mountains foothills, just below Ovid on Pritchard Hill and just above the valley floor overlooking Screaming Eagle. Out of the 26 acres in total at Dalla Valle, 20 acres are committed to vines. Andy Erickson has been winemaker at this estate since 2007 and Michel Rolland is the consultant enologist. Founder/Proprietor Naoko Dalla Valle's daughter, Maya, has been working closely with Andy Erickson while slowly taking over the reins over the last few years."
"The 2017 Maya is a blend of 67% Cabernet Sauvignon and 33% Cabernet Franc and was bottled one week before I tasted it. Very deep purple-black in color, it opens with profound earthy notions of truffles, damp soil, crushed rocks and tar over a core of Black Forest cake, black raspberries, blueberry compote and aged meat plus touches of wilted roses and unsmoked cigars. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is solidly structured with firm, fine-grained tannins and wonderful freshness lifting the multilayered blue and black fruits with a long, perfumed finish. Stunning."
JEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "The tiny production 2017 Maya is another thrilling wine. The normal blend of 60% Cabernet Sauvignon and 40% Cabernet Franc that was brought up in two-thirds new French oak, it offers a full-bodied, concentrated, yet sensationally elegant style as well as fab notes of creme de cassis, chocolate, graphite, and scorched earth. It's a primordial example of this cuvee that has ripe tannins, a stacked mid-palate, and a great, great finish. Do your best to give bottles 4-6 years of bottle age."
ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "The 2017 Maya is not only gorgeous, it also appears to have handled the rigors of the growing season more successfully than the others. Ripe red cherry and plum fruit, blood orange, pomegranate, mint and spice all build as this racy, sumptuous wine shows off its considerable allure. Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc are just magic here."
- Item #: i_214880Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 95-96Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsThe greatness of DAOU Mountain was foretold many decades ago when renowned winemaking authority Andre Tchelistcheff hailed it as "A JEWEL OF ECOLOGICAL ELEMENTS."
The calcareous clay soil here is comparable to Bordeaux's Right Bank, while the buffered Pacific microclimate is similar to Saint Helena-- a perfect confluence of elements. DAOU Mountain is blessed with extraordinary phenolic output, yielding some of the darkest, most deeply textured wines in the world. These wines are never acidified, as the ideal level of acidity comes naturally.
"Our wines are natural and pure: handpicked, hand-made and always free of artificial additives." All fruit from DAOU Mountain is handpicked, then sorted both by human eye and cutting-edge optical technology to ensure absolute fruit purity. Using only 100 percent free run juice, Winemaker Daniel Daou initiates fermentation with native yeasts cultivated from the estate. Each fermentation is customized by measuring phenolic composition and using sensory analysis, enabling Daniel to orchestrate natural balance and texture.
"We are committed to multifaceted sustainable practices that have earned our vineyard SIP (Sustainability in Practice) certification. The flavors and aromas you experience in DAOU wines originate from the earth and are poured into each bottle with an acute mindfulness for human and environmental well-being. ”
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "The 2017 Soul Of A Lion is a blend of 80% Cabernet Sauvignon, 12% Cabernet Franc and 8% Petit Verdot aged 22 months in 100% new French oak. It has a deep ruby-purple color and wonderfully unique expression, with scents of forest floor, underbrush, English breakfast tea, espresso, blackcurrant bud, dark chocolate and exotic flowers mingling over a core of perfectly ripe wild blackberries and Morello cherries, all complemented by a classy framing of new oak spices. The medium to full-bodied palate is slow to unfurl, with a frame like liquid silk and a very long finish that gives up layer after layer of nuanced flavors. Wow!"
JEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "The 2017 Soul Of A Lion offers a forward, bona fide fruit bomb style yet has plenty of class. A sweet nose of cassis, Asian spice, cedar box, and chocolate gives way to a full-bodied, hedonistic 2017 that stays balanced and layered. This cuvee always delivers and the 2017 is just an incredible drink."
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 95-96 POINTS - "Inky ruby. Primary dark berry, cherry pit and pipe tobacco aromas are complemented by hints of vanillin oak, mocha and baking spices. Broad and fleshy in the mouth, offering sweet black cherry and cassis flavors and suggestions of dark chocolate, espresso and vanilla. Becomes smokier with air and finishes with superb clarity and strong, spicy persistence. (raised in new French oak barrels for 22 months)"
- Item #: i_200452Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "Winemaker Nile Zacherle crafts some of the most elegant, polished Cabernets readers will taste on Pritchard Hill. As good as the wines are, they would almost certainly be even better if the estate took a few more risks. Today, the wines are almost always outstanding, but there may be an even higher level of quality that can be achieved here."
ROBERT PARKER 95 POINTS - "The 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon Elevation 1147 has the darker, more spiced profile found in the Three Acre with the lift and freshness of the Old Vine. All the elements come together nicely in this super-expressive Pritchard Hill Cabernet Sauvignon. The 2015 is wonderfully dense and lush, and yet retains quite a bit of freshness."
- Item #: i_200420Bottle Size: 750mlThis is only the third release of Le Boucher; a tribute to David Long's father, Donald Long. A blend of 67% Cabernet Franc, 16% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Merlot, and 8% Petit Verdot aged in French oak, of which 84% was new. A deep ruby red color offers aromas of baked cherry, plum and pomegranate; followed by subtle earth tones of cherry wood, toasted oak and bay laurel as well as violet like floral notes. The palate is expansive yet finessed with fine grain tannins and mild acidity while long and persistent. Flavors of boysenberry, cherry and toffee carry a long finish. A deft and precise wine with evolving layers to be best from 2019 to 2029. Only 143 cases were produced!
- Item #: i_214060Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94When Tom Dehlinger planted the property’s initial 14 acres in 1975, he was one of the first winemakers to revive western Sonoma County as a winegrowing region after Prohibition. In these pioneering days of Russian River Valley winemaking, fewer people were involved in the industry, and knowledge, resources, facilities, and equipment were primitive or hard to find. But over time, with trial and error, and some blind luck, the Dehlingers and others came to realize the promise of the Russian River Valley climate and the potential of some of its better hillside soils and locations.
The property is comprised of two distinctly different soil types. They have the more common Goldridge soils, but they also have the uniquelyprized Altamont series of soil. Altamont is somewhat shallow (just a few feet deep), and it holds less water than Goldridge, but its higher clay content is conducive to a slow extraction of water over a long period of dry summer growth. This means the vines produce less fruit, yet the grapes have more intense flavors. Dehlinger is one of the blue-chip labels in the Russian River Valley, and they are not easily found. In fact, it has taken us years to be able to secure enough wine to feature them on our list, and this beauty has earned a noteworthy 94-point score from Antonio Galloni!
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2016 Pinot Noir Altamont is a dense, beautifully resonant wine. Next to the Goldridge, the Altamont has quite a bit more textural depth and overall intensity. Super-ripe dark cherry, plum, rose petal, mint and blood orange all run through this expressive, pliant Pinot Noir. Today, the 2016 is quite forbidding. I would give it a few years in the cellar to fully come together. The 8% whole clusters add aromatic top notes, but aren't especially noticeable."
- Item #: i_214850Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Vinous Media: 95Planted in 1999, Denner Vineyards is a winegrowing estate on the far western border of the Paso Robles AVA. Their 156 acres press up against the Santa Lucia Range, giving the site great diversity of elevation, aspect and soil. Previously dry farmed barley, the estate is nestled into the Templeton Gap, an East/West corridor where the marine layer can reach the inland valleys. As a result they receive large diurnal temperature swings without high moisture pressure, giving us a near perfect growing climate.
The 108 acres under vine are comprised of 19 different varieties in 26 unique blocks. Each block is farmed with painstaking attention to detail, allowing only for the best possible grapes to reach the winery. Aron Nevarez, their vineyard manager, is committed to environmentally friendly farming practices, using only sustainable inputs and minimal irrigation.
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 95 POINTS - "Despite recent hot vintages, winemaker Anthony Yount continues to move his wines down a decidedly elegant path compared to his work when he took the reins at Denner a decade ago. He's extremely curious and thoughtful in the cellar and likes to work with whole clusters, when he thinks it’s appropriate. He also continues to experiment with different types of aging vessels, including clay amphoras, cigar-shaped oak barrels a la Chablis and the eastern Loire Valley, and small concrete tanks, all to admirable effect. Yount's wines handled the heat of 2017 admirably and, like the 2016s here, they show noteworthy energy and precision. The only problem is that there's just not a lot of them to go around."
"Vivid purple. Intensely perfumed dark berry preserve, violet, smoky mineral and exotic spice aromas show outstanding clarity and mineral lift. Palate-staining black raspberry, cherry preserve, licorice, spicecake and floral pastille flavors are supported by a spine of juicy acidity. Rich but lively as well, finishing with firm thrust on a strikingly long finish that features even tannins and repeating floral and spice qualities. 50% whole clusters."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The 2017 Dirt Worshipper is a blend of 97% Syrah, 2% Roussanne and 1% Viognier, all co-fermented. Deep ruby-purple, it offers pure, layered aromas of cassis, Morello cherries and warm blackberries with accents of violets, dried lavender, coffee beans and milk chocolate, continuing to reveal new scents as it sits in the glass. The full-bodied palate is intense but never heavy, perfumed and layered, with finely detailed tannins and seamless freshness, finishing very long. What an elegant expression of Syrah!"
- Item #: i_214840Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Vinous Media: 95ANTONIO GALLONI' VINOUS MEDIA 95 POINTS - "Glass-staining ruby. A highly perfumed bouquet evokes ripe red/blue fruits, incense and potpourri, and a spicy top-note builds as the wine opens up. Alluringly sweet and deeply concentrated, offering intense boysenberry, cherry, lavender pastille and spice-cake flavors that become livelier as the wine stretches out. Displays fine delineation and bold, spicy thrust on an impressively long, sweet finish framed by supple, slow-building tannins."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The Grenache-based 2018 Ditch Digger is blended with 20% Mourvedre, 20% Syrah and 5% splashes of Cinsault, Counoise and Graciano. The nose is deep and nuanced, with red and black fruits accented by notes of white pepper, exotic spice, tea leaves and blood orange. It offers impressive depth of fruit on the palate, which is medium-bodied, finely grained and juicy, and it finishes with tremendous spice. It deserves another 2-3 years in the cellar. 1,036 cases produced."
- Item #: i_215342Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93Vinous Media: 94Diamond Creek's second coolest micro-climate is their five-acre Gravelly Meadow vineyard. Originally a pre-historic river bed, this stony, gravelly soil drains rapidly and the vines struggle for moisture. Gravelly Meadow is their lowest yielding vineyard.
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Gravelly Meadow is ample and full in feel. Dark fruit, scorched earth, licorice, chocolate, spice, leather and menthol fill out the layers effortlessly. Somber and brooding, the Gravelly Meadow has a lot going on. It clearly needs time to be at its best. Firm hillside tannins add to a feeling of gravitas. There is real weight and substance here."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Pretty sage and sassafras aromas lead off, followed by a core of gently mulled blackberry and bitter plum flavors. Edgy grip rides underneath on the finish, with black tea and singed alder accents trailing. Shows a smoldering intensity. Best from 2022 through 2038. 711 cases made."
- Item #: i_216150Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 100Jeb Dunnuck: 98 PointsFinally...the much-anticipated 2016 Dominus Estate is here! One of Napa Valley's most revered Cabernet-blends is back, and will sell out quickly just like every year prior! One of the most respected wine producers in the world, Christian Moueix is on a personal quest for perfection in grape growing and winemaking. It is a journey that began in Bordeaux and continues today at Dominus Estate, where he has instilled his philosophy and inspired his team to share his values. To walk the vineyard with Christian is to witness a commitment to the land, a strong sense of purpose, and the modest soul of a man of the vines.
It is not uncommon for the Dominus Estate Cabernet-Blend to reach a near perfect score, and it has even garnered that perfect 100 point score a few times (2010, 2013, and 2015). However, this release stands on its own. Critic Lisa Perrotti-Brown (who reviews the Napa wines for Robert Parker's Wine Advocate) has even stated, "If I could give more than 100 for this one, I would." Lisa has become one of the more respected critics in the wine world, so for her to make that statement truly says something about the wine!
In the late 1960s, while attending the University of California at Davis, Christian Moueix fell in love with the Napa Valley and its wine. Son of Jean-Pierre Moueix, the famed wine merchant and producer from Libourne, France, Moueix returned home in 1970 to manage the family vineyards, including Chateaux Petrus. His love of Napa Valley lingered, and, in 1981, he discovered the historic Napanook Vineyard, a 124-acre site west of Yountville that had been the source of fruit for some of the finest Napa Valley wines of the 1940s and 1950s. In 1982, Moueix entered into a partnership to develop the vineyard, and in 1985, became its sole owner. He chose the name "Dominus" or "Lord of the Estate" in Latin to underscore his longstanding commitment to stewardship of the land.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 100 POINTS - "A blend of 84% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Petit Verdot and 8% Cabernet Franc aged in 40% new oak, the 2016 Proprietary Red Wine is deep purple-black in color and quite reticent at this youthful stage to begin, offering up subtle notions of potpourri, Indian spices, cigar box and iron ore over a core of crushed blackberries and black cherries with intermittent wafts of black and red currants, new leather and smoked meats. The palate is medium to full-bodied with a densely packed mid-palate and oodles of freshness framed by very ripe, finely grained tannins and laced with compelling earthy accents. It offers incredible vibrancy with tons of black and red fruit sparkle in the mid-palate leading to a provocative mineral element on the very long finish. If I could give more than 100 for this one, I would. To be released in May 2019."
JEB DUNNUCK 98+ POINTS - "Another possible legend in the making is the 2016 Dominus, a classic blend of 84% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Petit Verdot and the rest Cabernet Franc brought up in 40% new French oak. Pure, pristine notes of charcoal, cold fireplace, smoke tobacco, and both blue and black fruits all flow to a full-bodied 2016 that has incredible elegance and finesse, yet also depth and density. It's more backward and reserved than the 2015 and needs 4-5 years of cellaring. It will unquestionably live for 25-30 years."
- Item #: i_217410Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 95+ANTONIO GALLONI 95+ POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain offers good density, but in more of a medium-bodied style that is quite a bit more approachable than is the norm here. A whole range of inky Howell Mountain fruit, graphite, grilled herb, licorice, spice, chocolate, and lavender nuances open up in a brooding, resonant Cabernet that needs a few years in bottle to start drinking well. There is plenty of the structure readers have come to expect from Dunn, but less youthful austerity, which is not a bad thing at all."
- Item #: i_203400Bottle Size: 375mlWine Advocate: 100**Please note, this is a half sized bottleROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 100 POINTS - "Medium to deep garnet-purple in color, the 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon charges from the gate with exuberant red and black cherries notes, black currants and mulberries with a beautiful roses and lavender perfume, plus hints of sandalwood and cinnamon stick. Full-bodied, concentrated and downright explosive in the mouth, it is still wearing loads of gorgeous puppy-fat fruit flavors, offering suggestions of the complex, multilayered blockbuster that it will emerge into. The structure deserves its own mention: wonderful, seamless freshness and oh-so-fine, pixelated tannins, with an extraordinary persistence of fruit and mineral nuances. Wow."
- Item #: i_203370Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Advocate: 100ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 100 POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon has a deep garnet-purple color. Its nose begins a little reserved, slowly revealing a quiet intensity of freshly crushed blackberries, chocolate-covered cherries, cassis and aniseed with compelling nuances of black tea, cigar box, truffles and charcuterie, plus, with coaxing, gentle wafts of red roses and crushed rocks emerge. The medium to full-bodied palate is simply arresting, offering a a myriad floral and earth sparks amidst a black fruit core and with seamless, firm, very fine-grained tannins. Well-knit freshness brings forth layer after layer of delicate nuances on the very long, mineral-laced finish. The team at Eisele, led by Frederic Engerer (of Chateau Latour) and beautifully orchestrated by winemaker Helene Mingot, have knocked it out of the park this vintage with this singular expression that both embraces the site's heritage and reveals parts unknown."
- Item #: i_203340Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95In reality there's just a handful of true cult wines in California, among them Screaming Eagle, Harlan, Dalla Valle, Sine Qua Non… and, of course, Eisele! In 2013 the property was purchased by Francois Pinault (who also owns Chateau Latour, a Bordeaux classified 1st growth), and the wines have not skipped a beat. In fact, they may be even better! The vineyards have been biodynamically farmed since 2000 to improve health in the vines, resulting in better wine. The Altagracia bottling of Cabernet is comprised of fruit from the eastern portion of the vineyard, planted in volcanic cobbly soils, and the vines have to dig deep to reach any groundwater. Combine this with the cooling northwestern winds that come through the Chalk Hill gap, and you produce very small berries of thick-skinned, intensely flavored grapes!
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The Altagracia is produced almost exclusively from estate fruit this year and was bottled at the end of June 2018. Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Altagracia comes bursting forth with vivacious black cherries, blackberries, wild blueberries and cassis notes with touches of cinnamon stick, cloves, forest floor, violets and dusty earth with a waft of violets. The palate is medium to full-bodied, firm and grainy with loads of iron and mineral accents, finishing long and perfumed."
- Item #: i_203360Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 100ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 100 POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon has a deep garnet-purple color. Its nose begins a little reserved, slowly revealing a quiet intensity of freshly crushed blackberries, chocolate-covered cherries, cassis and aniseed with compelling nuances of black tea, cigar box, truffles and charcuterie, plus, with coaxing, gentle wafts of red roses and crushed rocks emerge. The medium to full-bodied palate is simply arresting, offering a a myriad floral and earth sparks amidst a black fruit core and with seamless, firm, very fine-grained tannins. Well-knit freshness brings forth layer after layer of delicate nuances on the very long, mineral-laced finish. The team at Eisele, led by Frederic Engerer (of Chateau Latour) and beautifully orchestrated by winemaker Helene Mingot, have knocked it out of the park this vintage with this singular expression that both embraces the site's heritage and reveals parts unknown."
- Item #: i_220040Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 96JEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "A gorgeously sweet nose of blackcurrants, dried flowers, Asian spice, and loamy earth and chocolate emerges from the 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Beckstoffer Las Piedras Vineyard. Deeply concentrated, with a light, elegant texture, beautiful tannins, and a great finish, this stunning wine is already beautiful but will shine for 15 years or more."
- Item #: i_223580Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95+Jeb Dunnuck: 95JEB DUNNUCK 95+ POINTS - "From a vineyard closer to the Mayacamas Mountains and first made in 1980, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Sycamore Vineyards checks in as 88% Cabernet Sauvignon, 7% Merlot, and the rest Petit Verdot and Cabernet Franc. It spent 27 months in 66% new French. It offers more black fruits, earth, tobacco, cedar, and gravelly minerality as well as a touch more burly, masculine style on the palate. Nevertheless, it's still beautifully balanced, has considerable elegance, and a great finish."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95+ POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Sycamore Vineyards gives up powerful creme de cassis, dark chocolate-covered cherries, mulberries and baked plums scents with hints of lavender, camphor, pencil shavings and dusty soil. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is packed with rich, black fruits plus a beautiful perfumed undercurrent, framed by finely grained tannins and lovely freshness, finishing with a mineral lift. 1,989 cases were made."
- Item #: i_229080Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96+Vinous Media: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 96ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96+ POINTS - "Very deep garnet-purple colored, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Oakville is blended of 83% Cabernet Sauvignon and 17% Cabernet Franc. It sings of blackcurrant cordial, blueberry pie and warm plums with touches of licorice, violets, cigar box and allspice. Medium to full-bodied, it fills the mouth with energetic fruit plus a firm, velvety frame and oodles of freshness, finishing on a lingering mineral note."
ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Oakville Ranch Vineyard is dense, powerful and voluptuous in the glass. Even with all of its abundant richness, the 2016 is rather shy at this stage, perhaps because of its relatively recent bottling. Inky blue and purplish berry fruit, licorice, menthol, plum and lavender open up nicely over time, as the 2016 starts to show some of its more gracious, understated style. There is so much to admire in the 2016, but it will be a few years before all of the elements are fully melded together. The 2016 is 83% Cabernet Sauvignon and 17% Cabernet Franc, both from Oakville Ranch."
JEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon (there's 17% Cabernet Franc in the blend) was brought up in 42% new French oak. It offers a sensational bouquet of blackberries, black raspberries, cassis, graphite, and toasted spice, with some savory tobacco and herbal notes with time in the glass. It's deep, full-bodied and layered, with sweet yet present tannins. Drink this concentrated, sexy Oakville Cabernet Sauvignon any time over the coming 15-20 years."
- Item #: i_226330Bottle Size: 750mlOnly 9 barrels of this wine were produced. A blend of 87% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Petite Sirah, and 5% Merlot, the wine opens with soft aromatics of a wild blackberry patch, pencil shavings and ripe fig, while the nose evolves into a more nuanced melange of violets, fresh sepia pasta and salad nicoise. Vibrant and energetic upon entry, the vintage's elegant qualities continue with a refined mid-palate of dark berry fruits, a touch of licorice and dark chocolate. The robust tannins - a result of the estate's alluvial soils - will develop and mature well into the next decade.
We get a small amount of this wine each year, and this has a track record of receiving high scores from critics. Scores from the past three vintages are:
2014 Vintage - ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97+ POINTS 2013 Vintage - ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS 2012 Vintage - ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS
- Item #: i_345526Bottle Size: 750MLeROBERT PARKER 96-98 POINTS: "Taking longer to develop in the glass than the exuberant and sexy la Mouline, the 2012 Cote Rotie la Turque (93% Syrah and 7% Viognier that will see four years in new oak) offers Bordeaux-like notes of lead pencil and graphite to go with olive, smoked herbs, pepper and ripe dark fruits. Possessing a touch less raw material than both the 2009 and 2010, it nevertheless has full-bodied richness, serious mid-palate depth, lots of sweet tannin and a fabulous finish. It will need 4-6 years of cellaring and drink well over the following two to three decades."
- Item #: i_228010Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Comments: "With the complex fruit of a well grown, mature Chardonnay vineyard, coupled with the vineyard's inherent minerality and steely acidity, the intention is to cellar this rare wine, as it will develop over many years to come. With a beautiful pale straw and slight yellow color, this youthful beauty offers aromas of peach, meyer lemon, roasted hazelnut, crème brulee, douglas fir, baked apple and wet stone, and is classically Hanzell. It is full bodied with a very rich mouthfeel and an extremely long finish. If you are not a patient person, decanting this wine for a minimum of two hours prior to serving is recommended."
- Item #: i_228750Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The 2018 Chardonnay Stone Côte was 100% barrel fermented in French oak barrels, 32% new, and aged for 15 months. It offers a very pretty perfume of honeysuckle, mandarin peel, candied ginger and lemongrass with a core of white peaches, pears and grapefruit. Medium-bodied, elegantly styled and with great freshness, it finishes long and mineral laced. 350 cases were made."
- Item #: i_229110Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Juicy, with an engaging mix of red currant, blood orange and raspberry coulis fruit, laced with rooibos tea, mineral, sassafras and mineral notes. Ripe and tightly focused, showing a racy edge that imparts nice lift from start to finish. Best from 2020 through 2035. 2,086 cases made"
- Item #: i_229230Bottle Size: 750mlIn 2002, Heitz planted cabernet vines on Howell Mountain near the gateway to the Linda Falls Preserve. That same year they donated an adjacent 21 acres to the Land Trust as a conservation easement for the preserve, for hikers and nature lovers to enjoy the splendor of the waterfall, which runs year-round. Stretching above the fog at an average elevation of 1500 feet, this area is known for well-drained, volcanic soils and a cooler climate which results in longer hangtime. The vines are planted in narrow rows, deliberately positioned to capture the strongest rays of the summer sun. As the fruit matures, the dense spacing and abundant sunshine leads to a low yield of smaller berries with thick, deeply-hued skins. This picturesque, hilly vineyard is surrounded by pine trees, deer, and bears; a truly special slice of Napa Valley.
Winemaker's Notes: "Its full palate shows how refined and elegant a Howell Mountain wine can be; a firm tannin structure yet silky, with a juicy lingering finish. Undeniably made in the classic Heitz style, it has a liveliness to it with balanced acidity."
- Item #: i_377403Bottle Size: 750mlFounded in 1808, Champagne Henriot is one of the few remaining family-owned houses with over 200 years of history and legacy. Over the years, the house has been cultivating a distinct style of its own, guided by the pursuit of the purest expression of Chardonnay, as well as a conscious and sustainable approach to the environment. The new Cellar Master, Alice Tetienne, oversee 35ha of vineyards, growers, and a small-scale production. She was awarded the "Best Winemaker of the Year" in 2020 by Trophees Champenois for her dedicated work.
The Brut Millesime 2008 marks our 200th Anniversary of the house! It is an exceptional champagne capturing the quintessential character of the 2008 vintage.
Every Champagne Henriot Brut Vintage is unique because it is a story of the year, the climate, and style of the house. The 2008 is unlike any other vintage. When Apolline Henriot founded Maison Henriot, she first created the Brut Souverain NV to tell the story of her terroir; however, she had a deep respect for nature and the climate is part of that, so she decided to create another champagne that would be the story of one year—a Brut Millesime, the definition of the environment. Champagne Henriot owns and sources from predominantly Premier & Grand Crus vineyards and the quality of the Brut Millesime is defined in the grapes at harvest. Champagne Henriot practices a very natural winemaking to allow the terroir to shine through.
The 2008 vintage was a very classic year with perfect climate conditions. A little bit colder than average, but there was warm sun in the spring and summer; it rained, but just the right amount. This champagne is incredibly distinctive of the Henriot style, the elegance of the champagne region, the serious profile of Premier & Grand Crus, the structure of the Montagne de Reims, and the freshness of the Cote des Blancs. The style and profile are the DNA of the house.
The Brut Millesime 2008 is 59% Grand Cru and 41% Premier Cru. It's an interesting cuvee, dominated by chardonnay-53% Chardonnay, 47% Pinot Noir. The chardonnay villages in this champagne include the Chouilly and Avize from the Cote des Blancs as well as Trepail from the Montagne de Reims. The Pinot Noir is sourced from Avenay, Mailly, Verzy, and Verzenay from the Montagne de Reims. A beautiful representation of the vineyards from Champagne Henriot.
It's a tremendous symbol and tribute to Henriot's legacy and vision that the wine Apolline Henriot originally produced is still being created 200 years later!
DECANTER 96 POINTS - "An undramatic, cloud-filled season came right in a late harvest in October. A textbook cool vintage of great ageing potential. The perfect 50/50 balance of mineral-stamped Chardonnay and powerful, masculine Pinot makes this a champagne for patient drinkers, as it will take time to reach its peak. Vibrant acidity is joined by notes of white flowers and that magnificent mineral structure." Michael Edwards
- Item #: i_185590Bottle Size: 750ml"Days after 9/11, the USA responded with a daring insertion of small teams of Green Berets mounted on horseback -These brave men are honored today by America's Response Monument at Ground Zero.
Nicknamed the Horse Soldiers, these same men make the bottle in your hand which shares the image of this monument.
Horse Soldier Bourbon brings an authentic American Story and Product to an ever growing category.
The glass from each bottle is made of a mold with steel from Ground Zero.”
-Distilled by Americans in the USA
-Owned by Americans
-Grains grown in the USA
2019 San Francisco International Wine and Spirits – Double Gold
- Item #: i_232200Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "This was an incredible tasting with winemaker Matt Dees. This estate continues to produce some of the most impressive, long-lived wines in Santa Barbara."
"The inky colored 2009 El Alma de Jonata, which was made from 70% Cabernet Franc, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% Merlot and 1% Petit Verdot, is no less impressive, exhibiting rich, full notes of cigar, chocolate, tobacco leaf and crushed rock notes to go with a massively built, structured profile on the palate. Very full-bodied and one big wine, it can be enjoyed now or cellared for a decade. Drink now-2023."
- Item #: i_232470Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsOwned by Stan Kroenke (who also owns Screaming Eagle), Jonata is located in Ballard Canyon, just south of Los Olivos and is focused on Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, and Syrah. The entire Jonata property is comprised of sand, with varying amounts of clay. The vineyards are sustainably farmed (herbicides and pesticides don’t even enter the conversation), and the area enjoys very cool nights due to winds coming off the Pacific Ocean, mixed with very warm days during the summer months. This helps to create wines of exceptional structure, intensity, and ageability...and it’s not uncommon for these Jonata wines to earn 97-100 points from the critics!
Jonata’s winemaker is Matt Dees, and he has the kind of resume that makes other winemakers green with envy. Having previously worked at other noteworthy estates such as Staglin in Napa, and Craggy Range in New Zealand, Matt has learned how to coax the best out of several different grapes grown in a variety of climates.
JEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "The 2014 El Desafio de Jonata is a baby that needs to be forgotten for 5-6 years. A blend of 79% Cabernet Sauvignon, 13% Merlot, and 4% each of Petit Verdot and Cabernet Franc, it offers terrific notes of blackcurrants, lead pencil shaving, licorice, tobacco leaf and roasted meats. Seamless, elegant and gorgeous on the palate, with a phenomenal texture, ultra-fine tannin, and a great finish, it's a tour de force in Santa Barbara County Cabernet Sauvignon. It will keep for 2-3 decades."
- Item #: i_232430Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "It's always a fun tasting with winemaker Matt Dees and his team, and they continue to keep this estate at the top of the hierarchy in Santa Barbara County. Located in Ballard Canyon AVA, they pull only from their estate vineyard (planted on incredibly sandy soils) and make a wide range of cuvees, from a red and white Bordeaux blends, to a 100% Petit Verdot, Sangiovese and a number of terrific Rhône blends. The common thread is incredible quality."
"All the 2015s were bottled just 5 weeks ago. Looking first at the 2015 Fenix, it's probably the best vintage of this cuvee to date and is made from 47% Merlot, 30% Cabernet Franc, 19% Cabernet Sauvignon and 4% Petit Verdot. Currants, violets, plums, earth and licorice notes all give way to a ripe, sexy, incredibly polished Merlot that has building tannin. It's tour de force that needs 3-5 years of cellaring and will keep for two decades."
- Item #: i_232400Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Vinous Media: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 95ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "Ordinarily I might say that I was impressed with these wines from Jonata, but quality is so consistently high now that it excellence is the norm. Matt Dees is one of the most brilliant winemakers of his generation. But Dees is more than just a winemaker, he has also been able to assemble a team around him to help look after Jonata, The Hilt, The Pairing, vast estate vineyards and a new winery facility, plus whatever other projects are on the horizon, and that may be an even rarer talent than knowing how to make compelling wines."
"The 2015 El Desafio de Jonata, the estate's Cabernet Sauvignon-based blend, is dense, powerful and super-expressive, with tremendous textural richness and thrust. Still very, very young, the 2015 is going to need at least several years to come into its own. Even so, it is incredibly impressive in the early going."
JEB DUNNUCK 95+ POINTS - "From the lowest yields since 2004, the 2015 El Desafio de Jonata smells like a barrel sample with its jammy blackberry, blueberry, cassis, crushed rock and lead pencil aromas and flavors. Rich, mouthfilling, plush and textured, yet with loads of underlying tannin, it's going to be another terrific vintage for this cuvee, yet it needs to be forgotten for 5-7 years. The blend is 90% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% each of Merlot and Petit Verdot (there's no Cabernet Franc) aged 20 months in 80% new barrels."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "A blend of 90% Cabernet Sauvignon, 5% Merlot and 5% Petit Verdot, the 2015 El Desafio de Jonata has a deep garnet-purple color and nose of cassis, blueberry compote and warm plums with hints of cigar box, dusty earth, cinnamon stick and bay leaves. The rich, medium to full-bodied palate gives layers of plums, earth notions and spices, with firm, grainy tannins to frame and a long, layered finish."
- Item #: i_232490Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 96JEB DUNNUCK 96+ POINTS - "Based on 80% Cabernet Sauvignon and the rest Merlot, Petit Verdot, and Cabernet Franc, the 2016 El Desafio de Jonata is one of the more firm, focused wines in the lineup. Classic Cabernet blackcurrants, scorched earth, graphite, and crushed rock-like notes all flow to a concentrated, powerful, tannic wine that has considerable baby fat as well as length. It's not going to hit prime time until after a decade of bottle age, but it's a beautiful, remarkable Cabernet Sauvignon from Santa Barbara County that will keep for two decades."
ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "Cabernet Sauvignon takes the leading role in the 2016 El Desafio de Jonata. Graphite, crushed rocks, sage, smoke, lavender and grilled herbs abound in this super-expressive wine. Deceptive in its mid-weight structure, the 2016 packs a serious punch. Readers should be prepared to cellar it for at least a few years."
- Item #: i_232210Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 99JEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS - "The 2016 La Sangre de Jonata (98% Syrah and 2% Viognier) is a beautiful follow on to the sensational 2015 and has a layered, multi-dimensional, massive profile. Blackcurrants, blackberries, lavender, bacon fat, and spring flower notes all flow to a seriously rich, powerful wine that stays light and graceful, with awesome tannin quality. It's another tour de force that reminds me of the 2007. It shuts down with extended air time (I followed this bottle for two days) and while it can certainly be enjoyed today, it won't hit prime time for another 4-6 years and should keep for two decades or more."
ANTONIO GALLONI 96+ POINTS - "The 2016 La Sangre de Jonata is a wine of real substance and depth. In 2016, the La Sangre is distinguished by its red fruit profile, freshness and vibrant, focused personality, all of which should allow it to age gracefully for a number of years. The 2016 is not as overt as some previous versions have been, but that is probably a very good thing for its longer term prospects. Time in the glass brings out the wine's underlying richness and pedigree."
- Item #: i_232250Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "The 2017 El Alma de Jonata, the estate's Cabernet Franc-based wine, is bright, aromatically explosive and just striking in its beauty. Bright red fruit, blood orange, menthol and plum race out of the glass in a wine endowed with tremendous energy, tension and pure class. Medium in body, with tremendous aromatic intensity and drive, the Alma is positively striking. The 2017 is one of the very finest editions I can remember tasting. In a word: dazzling."
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "The 300 case 2017 El Alma De Jonata is the Cabernet Franc-dominated cuvee, a blend of 86% Cabernet Franc, 14% Cabernet Sauvignon. Bright cherry, blackberry, ground herbs, lead pencil, and crushed violet notes all emerge from the glass, and this beauty is incredibly seamless, pure, and polished on the palate. With ultra-fine tannins, a great mid-palate, and plenty of structure, it's a more fresh, focused, classic example of this cuvee. Hide bottles for 4-5 years and enjoy over the following two decades."
- Item #: i_232460Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 97ANTONIO GALLONI 97 POINTS - "The 2017 El Desafio de Jonata is another positively stellar wine in this range. Two thousand seventeen is one of the few years in which Cabernet is so dominant. Rich and explosive, with tremendous vertical thrust, the 2017 oozes with class and intensity. Creme de cassis, new leather, licorice, sweet spice and menthol are some of the many notes that build as this statuesque, alluring wine shows off its pedigree. In 2017, the blend is 95% Cabernet Sauvignon, 3% Merlot and 2% Cabernet Franc. Wow...!"
JEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "The Cabernet Sauvignon-dominated cuvee is the 2017 El Desafio De Jonata, which includes 95% Cabernet Sauvignon, 3% Merlot, and 2% Cabernet Franc. It's another inky colored wine from this team and offers a brilliant bouquet of creme de cassis, tobacco leaf, cedar, bay leaf, and crushed rocks. Beautifully concentrated and balanced, with a Bordeaux-like structure and regal style, it's a magical Cabernet Sauvignon that's going to benefit from 7-8 years of bottle age yet keep for 20-30 years."
- Item #: i_232190Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94+ANTONIO GALLONI 94+ POINTS - "The 2017 La Sangre de Jonata has really come together over the last year. Today, it is aromatically explosive, rich and hedonistic. Grilled herbs, menthol, plum, black cherry, lavender and sage are some of the many notes that develop in this extravagantly beautiful, expressive wine from Jonata. In 2017, La Sangre is marked by more of a red fruit profile than in the past, along with silkier tannins that will make it easy to drink and enjoy with minimal cellaring."
- Item #: i_232260Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2018s from Jonata are positively stellar. Like pretty much most estates, Jonata benefitted from a long, growing season with mostly benign conditions, although winemaker Matt Dees reported a bit more shatter and smaller berries in the Cabernet Sauvignon than normal. Over the last few years, the Jonata wines have become increasingly refined and nuanced. That is especially evident in 2018, a year that naturally favors freshness and vibrancy."
"The 2018 Flor is a classy, polished white. Lemon confit, sage, mint, white pepper and tomato leaf all grace this exquisite Sauvignon Blanc/Semillon blend from Jonata. The depth and crystalline intensity take the mind to the great dry whites of Bordeaux. In 2018, Flor is exquisitely beautiful."
- Item #: i_250470Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "The 2017 Insignia is a blend of 94% Cabernet Sauvignon, 4% Malbec and 2% Cabernet Franc coming from: 46% Las Rocas vineayrd (Stags Leap District), 22% Barboza vineyard (Stags Leap District), 13% Suscol vineyard (South Napa Valley), 10% Yountville vineyard (Oak Knoll District) and 9% Home Ranch (St. Helena). It was aged for 24 months in 100% new French oak barrels. Deep garnet-purple colored, it comes bounding out of the glass with exuberant scents of Black Forest cake, preserved plums and blueberry pie plus touches of redcurrant jelly, potpourri, clove oil and dark chocolate. Medium to full-bodied, the palate has gained weight from it's in-barrel offering, boasting rich, decadently perfumed black fruit preserves flavors with a racy backbone and velvety tannins, finishing long and spicy. 7,400 cases were made."
JEB DUNNUCK 95-97 POINTS - "Not yet bottled, the 2017 Insignia (which includes no Petit Verdot due to the frosts) offers both red and black fruits as well as lots of spice box, gravelly earth, and integrated oak. It opens up beautifully with time in the glass, is medium to full-bodied, has beautiful mid-palate depth and concentration, and a great finish. It's a classic, undeniable success in this challenging vintage."
- Item #: i_344311Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93eROBERT PARKER 93 POINTS: "The 2013 Charmes-Chambertin Très Vieilles Vignes has a broody, surprisingly introspective bouquet with raspberry coulis, blackcurrant and sous-bois notes, although to be frank it does not put any gap between itself and the 2013 Gevrey Fontenys. The palate is medium-bodied with fine definition, not quite as sensual as other Charmes-Chambertins that I have tasted, just a prickle of white pepper towards the finish, but it declines offering that knockout punch on the finish. And as such, pound for pound I prefer the Fontenys this year that seems to possess the same level of complexity."
- Item #: i_344313Bottle Size: 750MLeROBERT PARKER 91-93 POINTS: "The 2013 Griotte-Chambertin Grand Cru, whose vines lie next to Jean-Marie Fourrier, was showing a little reduction at the beginning, but with aeration it begins to gain more clarity. The palate is medium-bodied with grainy tannins, black fruit mixed with cola and five-spice, a crisp line of acidity and a long candied finish. A sumptuous Griotte-Chambertin that will need several years to reach its plateau."
- Item #: i_220370Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 97ANTONIO GALLONI 97 POINTS - "The 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Martinez Vineyard is broad and ample on the palate, with all of the natural mineral-infused breadth that is typical of this site in the Vaca Mountains. Crushed rocks, cedar, dried flowers, espresso and dark spices add layers of nuance to a core of inky dark fruit. This virile mountain Cabernet has a ton to offer. Give it a few years in bottle to soften first."
- Item #: i_220350Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve is loaded with the essence of creme de cassis, lavender, licorice, cinnamon and crushed rocks. Bright acids and beams of supporting structure add energy to play off the inky fruit. This is another absolutely impeccable wine from Julien Fayard."
- Item #: i_235510Bottle Size: 750mlSonoma Coast Pinot Noir has a ruby color with red tints. Fruit aromas in this bottling are more subdued with hints of white cherries and strawberries. There is a savory component to this wine on the palate. Nuances of dry green herbs and black olives combine with a layered red fruit profile. There is a freshness in the finish reflecting the wines vibrant natural acidity. This wine will age and develop for 5-7 years.
- Item #: i_235000Bottle Size: 750mlIn Burgundy, some wines are labeled Premier Cru without designating a specific site. Where Kistler owns or leases vineyards, it is necessary to apply the same scrutiny of blocks as has been done over 40 years working with top growers. Where the soil and aspect are just short of single-vineyard quality, the harvest is combined with similar blocks in other controlled vineyards. The intention is to show regional identity but not necessarily the individual vineyard expression. Grown in Gold-Ridge sandy loam near the Russian River, the primary vineyard blocks are Vine Hill Vineyard, Trenton Roadhouse Vineyard, and Dutton Ranch. The resulting wines have a unique set of aromatics heightened by mineral and earthen tones.
The 2019 Les Noisetiers shows the typical yellow gold color with hints of green. Orchard fruits drive the aromatic profile. Scents of yellow pears green apples and lemon pith are most prominent and these contrast the wines strong sense of minerality. The finish is citrus driven. This wine will benefit from decanting and aeration..
- Item #: i_275850Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94-96Vinous Media: 94-97ANTONIO GALLONI 94-97 POINTS - "The 2017 Syrah Hudson Vineyards is another glorious wine in this range. Rich and inky in the glass, the 2017 offers a compelling interplay of rich fruit allied to a vertical sense of structure. Dark red fruit, spice and floral notes are pushed forward, but it is the wine's total sense of poise that is most impressive today. Unctuous and full-throttle to the core, with head-spinning intensity and exceptional balance, the 2017 Syrah is shaping up to be an absolute jewel of a wine."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94-96+ POINTS - "John Kongsgaard had finished harvest prior to the fires in 2017. While the Atlas Peak fire came dangerously close, the winery was spared and the vineyards received just minimal damage."
"A barrel sample, the deep purple-black colored 2017 Syrah Hudson Vineyard offers black cherries, raspberries, crushed blackberries and tar with hints of anise and a waft of wild thyme. Medium to full-bodied and packed with perfumed fruit, it has lovely rounded tannins and great freshness, finishing long."
- Item #: i_235900Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-95ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93-95 POINTS - "A barrel sample, the 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon features a deep garnet-purple, singing on the nose of freshly crushed black cherries, black berry pie and warm plums over a core of cassis and pencil lead plus nuances of violets, cinnamon stick and underbrush. Medium to full-bodied, the palate delivers mouth-coating, crunchy black fruit with a firm backbone of ripe, grainy tannins and just enough freshness, finishing long and spicy."
- Item #: i_321881Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 98ANTONIO GALLONI 97 POINTS-"The 1988 Collection offers stunning interplay of vintage 1988 vibrancy with the complexity that has developed in bottle. Apricot, pastry, brioche, dried flowers, chamomile and lightly honeyed notes all infuse the 1988 with notable complexity and nuance. At 31 years of age, the 1988 Collection remains taut, classically austere and full of energy. It will drink well for another 20 years or more."
- Item #: i_277570Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 92-94 POINTS - "Consistently thrilling wines come from l'Aventure, which is run with incredible talent and passion by St. Emilion native Stephan Asseo. His 2016s are incredible efforts, and the 2017 more Rhone blends are certainly in the same ballpark. Due to the heat spikes at harvest, Bordeaux varieties were much more difficult and hit or miss."
"Lastly, the 2017 Estate Cuvee shows the effects of the heat spikes and has some firm, angular tannins that are buffered by lots of blackcurrant fruit. It has classic graphite, licorice, and lead pencil aromas, medium to full body, and good length, yet it's certainly not going to make you forget this brilliant 2016. Nevertheless, my money is on it being an outstanding wine."
- Item #: i_236580Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Vinous Media: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "The 2017 Chardonnay - W.S. Keyes is rich and deeply phenolic, with all of the natural structure that is so typical of Howell Mountain. Bright and fresh on the palate, with terrific energy, the 2017 is wonderfully nuanced and full of character. Savory herbs, chamomile, mint, pineapple and exotic floral notes add to the wine's character, while blocked malolactic fermentation keeps the flavors bright."
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "There are just over 500 cases of the 2017 Chardonnay W.S. Keyes, which comes from a single block of the Keyes Vineyard on Howell Mountain. Seeing no malolactic fermentation and aged in 10% new French, it has Chablis-like citrus, lemon curd, and green apple notes as well as medium-bodied richness, bright yet integrated acidity, a light graceful texture, and a great finish. Drink it over the coming 7-8 years."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2017 Chardonnay W.S. Keyes comes from vines planted in 1992-1993. One-third of the wine went directly to barrel (dirty) and the other two-thirds was settled and barrel fermented. It was aged in 10% new oak. It leaps from the glass with notes of honeyed white peaches, lemon tart, Golden Delicious apples and lime blossoms plus hints of marzipan and lemongrass. Medium-bodied with a seriously racy backbone and loads of intense citrus and stone fruit layers, it has a lovely satiny texture and long chalky finish. 544 cases produced."
- Item #: i_237170Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 96JEB DUNNUCK 96+ POINTS - "The flagship cuvee, the 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon J. Daniel Cuvee is 100% Cabernet Sauvignon brought up in 75% new French oak. Rocking levels of cassis, graphite, vanilla, scorched earth, and tobacco all flow to a full-bodied Cabernet that has building tannins, a terrific, deep, layered mid-palate, and a great finish. It's still tight and backward on the palate, and in need of 4-5 years of bottle age, but it's a beautiful wine in the making."
- Item #: i_311502Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Advocate: 100James Suckling: 100WINE ADVOCATE 100 POINTS - " A blend of 91.3% Cabernet Sauvignon and 8.7% Merlot with just under 14% natural alcohol, the 2009 Latour is basically a clone of the super 2003, only more structured and potentially more massive and long lived. An elixir of momentous proportions, it boasts a dense purple color as well as an extraordinarily flamboyant bouquet of black fruits, graphite, crushed rocks, subtle oak and a notion of wet steel. It hits the palate with a thundering concoction of thick, juicy blue and black fruits, lead pencil shavings and a chalky minerality. Full-bodied, but very fresh with a finish that lasts over a minute, this is one of the most remarkable young wines I have ever tasted. Will it last one-hundred years? No doubt about it. Can it be drunk in a decade? For sure."
JAMES SUCKLING 100 POINTS - "A breathtaking combination of dried flowers and minerals, with dark fruits such as currants and blackberries. Full-bodied, with fabulous fruit concentration, yet its compacted. Velvety tannins. So much fruit and beauty. It's the quality of the tannins that are magic. It is the famous 1959 all over again. Amazing. Try in 2022. "
- Item #: i_234590Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Vinous Media: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "Mostly Syrah blended with 14% Grenache, the 2016 Aspire is another powerhouse beauty from this team. Deep black (and some blue) fruits, notes of ground pepper and spiced meat, full body, ripe, pure tannins, and a big finish all make for a blockbuster effort that's beautifully ripe (not overripe or underripe), balanced, and just incredibly compelling. It's another wine that will benefit from short-term cellaring and keep for a decade."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The 2016 Aspire is a blend of 86% Syrah and 14% Grenache aged 22 months. Opaque ruby-purple, it explodes with cassis, Castelvetrano olive, peppercorn, milk chocolate, roast coffee and grilled meats scents with notes of chargrill and earth. Full-bodied, rich and packed with black and blue flavor layers, it has a powerful, ultra fine frame and surprising freshness, finishing long and dense. This merits at least another 3-5 years in bottle."
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "Deep ruby. Spice-accented aromas of ripe dark berries, smoky bacon, succulent herbs and baking spices pick up a sexy floral nuance with air. Juicy and energetic in the mouth, offering pliant black and blue fruit, spicecake and floral pastille flavors that show sharp definition and strong back-end thrust. Becomes deeper with air, with no loss of energy, and finishes smoky and very long, with smooth tannins and repeating floral and bacon notes. 40% new French oak."
- Item #: i_379425Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90TERRY THEISE 3 PLUSES - "It is 75% Pinot Noir from Mareuil, 25% Chardonnay also from Mareuil. Old vines, massale selection. Deg 4/2018. 60% 2014, 20% 2013, 20% 2012. It’s from his favorite parcels in Mareuil, and is intended as a tribute to its terroir. It has a truly noble Pinot Noir fragrance, leading to an utter masterpiece of weightless concentration, as huge and yet as penetrable as a cumulous cloud. Mareuil is clearly great but it’s also somewhat inscrutable; it has some of the malt of Aÿ, some mirabelle confiture, an almost gingery spice and top notes of chalk. This wine has great, gossamer opulence."
- Item #: i_239980Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 95ANTONIO GALLONI 95 POINTS - "The 2018 Zinfandel Giuseppe and Luisa is, in my view, once again the most distinctive Zinfandel in this range. Bright acids, floral overtones and chiseled red fruit scream with Russian River character. Medium in body, gracious and beautifully perfumed, the Giuseppe and Luisa is flat-out gorgeous. I loved it."
- Item #: i_241020Bottle Size: 750mlMaxem is the personal project of Sam and Nancy Kaplan. Sam, in his winemaking career, has been on the ground floor of some of Napa Valley’s most exciting wine projects in recent history (including Arkenstone, Memento Mori, and Vangone), helping to plant vineyards, build wineries and cement reputations with wines that speak of the unparalleled sites in which they’re grown. Nancy, as a chef, spent years in top restaurants in New York and Napa Valley, honing her craft and her palate beside celebrated chefs who demanded nothing less than perfection.
In Latin, MAXEM has the distinction of meaning "best of the best." It also combines the proprietors' two children's names, Max and Emma. Hence, for this wine, nothing but the best vineyard would suffice...enter Ulisis Valdez. Ulises was an immigrant who worked for others for decades before striking out on his own. He namaged to find a parcel that he felt would produce some of the best Pinot Noir and Chardonnay in the entirety of the Sonoma Coast. He was right, as the fruit from his vineyard has produced some of the highest scoring wines ever to come out of Sonoma! this Chardonnay is produced from the famed Wente clone of Chardonnay, grown on the UV property.
- Item #: i_204700Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "From a single vineyard in Calistoga, the 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Amoenus isn't far off what the estate produced in 2016. It's a pure, full-bodied, powerful 2017 that does everything right. Loads of blueberries, cassis, Asian spice, and flowery incense define the bouquet, and it has a pure, classic, focused style on the palate. I love its purity of fruit, it has ripe, present tannins, and while it needs 2-3 years of bottle age, it's going to evolve gracefully for 15-20 years."
- Item #: i_240230Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 98 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS - "Looking at the two 2018s, the 2018 Amoenus comes from the Blossom Creek Vineyard outside of Calistoga and was brought up in new French oak. Both 2018s are concentrated, powerful wines. The Amoenus possesses a beautiful sense of freshness and purity, yet backs that up with a huge, opulent profile that carries incredible black and blue fruits. Showing more chocolate, tobacco, graphite, and foresty, earthy notes with air, this full-bodied beauty has ample ripe, polished tannins, no hard edges, and a great finish. It certainly shows the more brooding, backward, powerful style of the vintage and is built for the long haul. Hide bottle for 5-7 years, count yourself lucky, and enjoy over the following 40 years or so."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "The 2018 Amoenus Cabernet Sauvignon is 100% Cabernet Sauvignon. Deep garnet-purple colored, it comes galloping out of the glass with energetic creme de cassis and blueberry pie scents, with hints of Indian spices, eucalyptus and chocolate box plus a waft of iron ore. Full-bodied, concentrated and wonderfully decadent, it has a firm, grainy texture and lively line of freshness, finishing long and minerally."
- Item #: i_241130Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "This estate hit a home run with these latest 2016s, and the charming, more supple style of the vintage worked perfectly with the more savory, classic style preferred by McPrice Myers. These are unquestionably the finest wines I've tasted from him, and readers should snatch up these wines."
"Another best to date is the 2016 Hommage a Stevan Larner, which is 64% Grenache and 36% Syrah brought up mostly in neutral barrels (15% new), sourced all from the Ballard Canyon region of Santa Barbara County. It offers truly spectacular notes of assorted darker fruits, toasted spices, dried meat, and white pepper. Rounded, medium to full-bodied, and beautifully layered, it reminds me of a great Châteauneuf du Pape. Drink it any time over the coming 8-10 years."
- Item #: i_241970Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98Jeb Dunnuck: 99JEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS - "Just about pure perfection in a glass, the 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon checks in as 100% varietal sourced from top sites including Dr. Crane, Las Piedras, Weitz, Oakville Ranch, and Vine Hill. This deep purple/blue-hued beauty boasts a stunning bouquet of pure creme de cassis and blackberry fruits as well as complex forest floor, graphite, chocolate, and spicy oak. Full-bodied, rich, sexy, yet incredibly elegant and seamless on the palate, this is pure Napa Valley magic that has appeal even today yet the class to evolve for 30 years in cold cellars."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "Made from 100% Cabernet Sauvignon, the 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon is a blend of each of the single-vineyard wine sites (Dr. Crane, Las Piedras and Vine Hill Ranch), plus fruit from Oakville Ranch and Weitz vineyards. It was aged for 22 months in French oak, 100% new. Deep garnet-purple in color, it charges out of the gate with energetic scents of warm cassis, blackberry pie, boysenberries and wild blueberries plus hints of mocha, black truffles, fertile loam and lavender, with a waft of Chinese five spice. Full-bodied, rich, concentrated and decadent with a velvety texture and fantastic freshness, it finishes long and layered. 1,100 cases were made."
- Item #: i_211598Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92-95Wine Spectator: 96WINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS - "A towering young wine, laden with gorgeously pure plum, boysenberry and blackberry puree flavors, showing flashes of violet and apple wood. Beautifully rendered, with power, grace and beguiling perfume throughout, revealing a long, refined structure through the finish. Best from 2021 through 2035. 1,900 cases made."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92-95 POINTS - "Deep purple-black in color, the barrel sample of 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon gives up notes of black raspberries, kirsch and roses over a core of cassis and warm blackberries plus hints of pencil lead, bay leaves and menthol. Full-bodied with a well-played frame of approachable, chewy tannins, it has plenty of black and red fruit layers with a savory finish."
- Item #: i_245320Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 98JEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS - "Coming all from clone 1 Cabernet Franc in the To Kalon Vineyard, the 2014 Force de la Nature is an incredibly singular, exotic, complex 2014 that has loads of red and blue fruits, exotic flowers, incense, and blood orange-like aromas and flavors. About as elegant and seamless as they come, with ultra-fine tannin and no hard edges, it's an incredible expression of Cabernet Franc from Napa Valley."
- Item #: i_245580Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Vinous Media: 95The wines from Luc and Jodie Morlet have gained a feverish following here at Hi-Time. While their Cabernets and Chardonnays have garnered the limelight and were featured on our “Top Wine” lists in the past, this year it is one of their Pinot Noirs that has us salivating! Coming from a small vineyard in the Fort Ross-Seaview AVA on the Sonoma Coast, this property sits at 1,100 feet in elevation, and is on just the second ridge from the Pacific Ocean. The vineyard is above the fog line and enjoys long, sunny days, yet temps remain cool throughout most of the growing season. This gives the vines time to produce perfectly mature and ripe grapes, and Luc Morlet sorts the fruit berry-by-berry when they reach the winery, ensuring that only the best make it into the finished wine.
ANTONIO GALLONI 95 POINTS - "Things seem quite busy at Morlet Family Vineyards. Luc and Jodie Morlet are developing an additional 3.5 acres of land at their estate vineyard in St. Helena. Last year, the Morlets planted a new vineyard in the heart of Oakville, so there will be a greater focus on estate fruit in the future, once those newly planted vineyards come on line. Stylistically, the wines offer plenty of textural richness and opulence, as they always have. At the same time, I see a bit more freshness in these wines than was common just a few years ago."
"The 2014 Pinot Noir En Famillle is powerful and intense, but also linear. All the signatures of this site come through nicely, but also amped up with quite a bit of structural underpinning. Darker tonalities of red stone, saltiness, wild flowers and exotic spices lead into the finish. The bright acids and overall structure here are quite appealing."
ROBERT PARKER 94 POINTS - "The 2014 Pinot Noir En Famille has a more saturated color than the Coteaux Nobles. It offers up notes of black cherries, loamy soil, kirsch liqueur, Asian spice and a floral element. The wine is an outstanding, beautifully fresh Pinot Noir with plenty of black raspberry and kirsch liqueur-like notes. Drink it over the next decade."
- Item #: i_245440Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 99Jeb Dunnuck: 99 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS - "The borderline perfect 2017 Chardonnay Coup De Coeur comes from a selection of the best barrels and there are only 150 cases of this elixir. Aged in 40% new French oak, this exotic, powerful Chardonnay offers a heavenly bouquet of honeyed citrus, toasted brioche exotic flowers, and orange blossom. It's rich, voluptuous, and thrillingly textured, yet has good acidity, remarkable purity, a stacked mid-palate and a finish that won't quit. Count me impressed; California Chardonnay doesn't get much better."
ROBERT PARKER 99 POINTS - "Coup de Coeur is an uber barrel-selection blend of the Morlet's Chardonnay vineyards, using exclusively Old Wente clone selection. The 2017 Chardonnay Coup de Coeur bursts with spicy notions of allspice and coriander seed over a core of ripe Bosc pears, apple pie and almond croissant with wafts of beeswax and candied ginger. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is tightly wound, offering beautiful tension to offset all the opulent, spicy flavors, finishing very long and incredibly harmonious even at this very youthful stage. 150 cases are due to be made."
- Item #: i_245200Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "Ma Douce comes from a vineyard in Fort Ross-Seaview—not far from Marcassin Vineyard. It is planted mainly to Old Wente clone selection. The 2017 Chardonnay Ma Douce comes bounding out of the glass with exuberant notes of ripe peaches, pink grapefruit and guava plus hints of butterscotch, toasted almonds, orange blossoms and acacia honey. Full-bodied, the palate is laden with exotic fruit and citrus layers, offset by a wicked backbone of freshness and the most seductive creaminess to the texture, finishing very long with tons of savory sparks. 450 cases were made."
JEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "Named for winemaker Luc Morlet's wife, the 2017 Chardonnay Ma Douce shows the fresh, focused style of the vintage as well as complex notes of orange blossom, caramelized citrus, brioche, and white flowers. With beautiful acidity as well as plenty of sexy fruit and texture, it's a brilliant 2017 Chardonnay that does everything right. This cuvee is brought up in just 20-25% new French oak."
- Item #: i_282080Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 98JEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS - "I loved these latest releases from Luc Morlet and family, and they show a sensational mix of classic, balanced, even old-school, characters mixed with killer California fruit. As a whole, the 2014s show more elegance and complexity, with the 2015s possessing more power and richness. These are rockstar wines."
"The 2014 Morlet Estate comes from the western foothills just north of St. Helena and is 99% Cabernet Sauvignon. It has a Pauillac-like austerity as well as awesome notes of black fruits, graphite, lead pencil shavings and loamy soils. Fresh, focused, full-bodied and powerful, this classic, structured Cabernet Sauvignon needs 2-4 years of bottle age but will have 20-25 years of overall longevity."
- Item #: i_245520Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 98The heritage of Mount Eden Cabernet Sauvignon dates back to the 1890s, when the famed viticulturist Emmett Rixford of Woodside, California obtained selected cuttings from Chateau Margaux in Bordeaux, France. Rixford planted his famous La Questa Vineyard with these selections, in the same proportions as found at Margaux.
In the late 1940s Martin Ray planted his first Cabernet vineyard with cuttings from the La Questa Vineyard. Mount Eden's present-day Estate Cabernet Sauvignon vines were planted in the early 1980s using cuttings taken from these vines. Yields are low, typically one to two tons per acre. Soils are very thin (1-12 inches), with a dominant base of Franciscan shale. The climate is cool, especially for Cabernet, and influenced by the vineyard's altitude and its proximity to San Francisco Bay and the Pacific Ocean. The vines are trellised in a modern fashion, which allows for a more uniform ripening. The vineyard also contains small blocks of Merlot and Cabernet Franc.
ANTONIO GALLONI 98 POINTS - "Mount Eden's 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon represents the essence of what Cabernet Sauvignon is all about in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Deep, powerful and explosive, the 2016 simply has it all. A wine of tremendous depth and intensity. Readers, take note. This is world class Cabernet Sauvignon that in any other region would cost 2-3 times as much. Savory and expansive, with tons of mountain character and remarkable richness from low yields in 2016, the Cabernet Sauvignon is simply off the charts. It's another utterly breathtaking wine from Mount Eden."
- Item #: i_245420Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94Mount Eden is one of California's first truly boutique wineries. After prohibition, a gentleman by the name of Martin Ray began producing wine from this area using obscure grapes such as Pinot Noir and Chardonnay at a time when inferior grapes were the norm. His wines quickly became known as being some of the best in the state. He then sold that property, and purchased a superior site "just up the hill". That new property is Mount Eden, and to this day, some of those Mount Eden Pinot Noirs and Chardonnays are some of the best California has ever produced!
Flash-forward to the present, and the wines are just as good as they always were. It is not uncommon for the Chardonnays to get somewhere between 94-96 points, and the current release shows the same amazing qualities found in many of the Grand Crus from Burgundy!
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Chardonnay melds together the natural raciness of the year with the classicism that is such a Mount Eden signature. Lemon confit, white flowers, mint and tropical accents give the 2017 its flashy, racy personality and yet on the palate the wine is quite structured and very nicely proportioned. The 2017 finishes with tremendous weight, oiliness and aromatic intensity. It can be enjoyed now or cellared for at least a few years. Today, it is absolutely fabulous. New oak is 50%."
- Item #: i_245470Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 93ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "The 2017 Pinot Noir is a very pretty, open-knit wine. Crushed rose petal, sweet red berry, mint, cedar and sweet pipe tobacco give the 2017 striking aromatic presence. In 2017, the Mount Eden Pinot is a decidedly forward, silky wine that looks like it will offer its best drinking sooner rather than later. The 2017 was done with 33% whole clusters and saw 50% new barrels."
- Item #: i_103686Bottle Size: 750mlWinner of World’s Best Blended Malt in World Whiskies Award in 2012, this is a blend of malts from Yoichi and Miyagikyo Distillery. The majority of its spirit is aged in sherry oak. This is a wonderful, full-bodied dram that offers a rich blend of spice and heat. Flavors cling to the roof of the palate, bursting with orange zest and brioche. Tropical fruit emerges, but once these bright flavors subside, this malt begins to accelerate in spice with hints of toasted almonds as it undulates into a toffee finish. This is a playful, delicious dram that’s worth every penny.
Masataka Taketsuru, who is known today as the “Father of Japanese Whisky,” went to Scotland in 1918 to study at University of Glasgow in Scotland, so he could specialize in chemistry. While he was there, he carefully honed his craft in distilling spirts, studying under great master distillers and working at Hazelburn Distillery in the Scottish Highlands. As one would expect, his exposure to the Scottish culture inspired him to produce a spirit back home that would be most authentic to Scotch. Masataka was able to fulfill his dream of producing his own brand of whisky when he established his own company called Nikka in 1934 aftering working with Suntory for 10 years. His first distillery, which is called Yoichi Distillery, is located in southern Hokkaido in an area surrounded by mountains and a coast. This is where they generally produce full-bodied, peaty malts. Most of the spirit from this distillery is aged in remade and brand new sherry casks. Their second distillery, which is called Miyagikyo (est. 1969), tends to produce a soft and mild malt, in which their spirit is distilled in copper pot stills and aged in the following types of casks: hogshead, ex-bourbon cask, American oak puncheons and sherry butts. In addition, there are 3 types of barley used: unpeated, lightly peated at 4 parts-per-million (ppm) and heavily peated malt that ranges from 35-50 ppm.
- Item #: i_248390Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 96JEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "Moving to the two reds, the 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate is brilliant all the way, offering a smorgasbord-like bouquet of blueberries, raspberries, spring flowers, cured meats, tobacco, and assorted other spicy, floral nuances. I always find a subtle red fruit and mineral character in top Stags Leap Cabernet, and this beauty has it in spades. Full-bodied on the palate, this pure, plush, sexy Napa Valley Cabernet has sweet tannins, no hard edges, and a great finish. Seemingly all about sweet fruit and texture, it's nevertheless going to evolve for 20-25 years."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate bursts from the glass, offering vibrant notes of blackberry pie, plum preserves and black and red currant jelly with nuances of bay leaves, tar and licorice plus a waft of cinnamon stick. The full-bodied palate is jam-packed with juicy black fruits, supported by approachable, grainy tannins and tons of freshness, finishing long with an herbal lift."
- Item #: i_106373Bottle Size: 750mlOld Rip Van Winkle 10 Year, 107 Proof This wonderful bourbon is bottled as close to barrel proof as possible. We add just a splash of our Kentucky limestone well-water when we empty the barrels for bottling. Thus, this whiskey is as smooth as any you will find. The more water you add to whiskey from its natural barrel proof to its bottle proof, the harsher it becomes. This 107 barrel proof seems to be just right. Rated 94 by the Beverage Tasting Institute
- Item #: i_248490Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 96ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "The 2014 Opus One is not as showy or obvious as some of the other surrounding vintages, but it will have its day. Stylistically, the 2014 is bright and also a touch linear, with a construction built more on focus rather than opulence. Readers should plan on giving the 2014 another few years in bottle at a minimum. The mid-weight style is a bit Old World-leaning in this striking, super-classic Opus One."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "Blended of 80% Cabernet Sauvignon, 7% Cabernet Franc, 6% Merlot, 5% Petit Verdot and 2% Malbec, the Opus One 2014 Proprietary Red Wine sports an inky purple color and nose of crushed black and red currants, black cherries and mulberries with touches of underbrush, sauteed herbs and pencil shavings plus a waft of spice box. Medium-bodied, finely crafted and with an energetic line lifting the red and black fruits, it has a bold frame of grainy tannins and a very long, earth and spice-layered finish."
- Item #: i_248150Bottle Size: 3 LiterWine Advocate: 97Vinous Media: 97ANTONIO GALLONI 97 POINTS - "The 2015 Opus One is a terrific example of the year. Super-ripe and flamboyant in style, with tons of fruit pushed forward, the 2015 has a lot to offer. Today, the primary intensity of the fruit and some of the new oak need time to subside, but there is a lot to look forward to. A rush of super-ripe red cherry, plum, mocha, espresso and wild flowers build into the huge, creamy finish."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "Medium to deep garnet-purple color, it bursts from the glass with beautiful violets, lavender, rose hip tea and chocolate-covered cherries scents over a core of crushed blackberries, black cherries, cassis and iron ore. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is wonderfully bright and crunchy, with bags of fresh black and red berries and a wonderfully plush, finely grained texture, finishing long and fragrant."
- Item #: i_248330Bottle Size: 375mlWine Advocate: 95Vinous Media: 95+**Please note, this is a half sized bottleANTONIO GALLONI 95+ POINTS - "A remarkable wine for the year, the 2017 Opus One is a dense, full-throttle beauty. Plush fruit and soft, silky contours give the 2017 its racy personality. Exotic, beautifully perfumed and impeccable in its balance, Opus One is one of the most complete wines of the vintage. In 2017, Opus One has a distinctly red-toned fruit profile that distinguishes it from the surrounding vintages."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "Opus One had picked 91% of their fruit before the fires started in 2017, and only two lots were eliminated from consideration. The 2017 Opus One, bottled in July 2019, is a blend of 81% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8.5% Petit Verdot, 5% Cabernet Franc, 4.5% Merlot and 1% Malbec. Medium to deep garnet-purple colored, it slowly grows on the nose, revealing compelling notes of baked black cherries, mulberries, black raspberries, warm cassis and blackberry pie with nuances of spice cake, yeast extract, tapenade, licorice and dusty soil with a waft of wild sage. Medium-bodied, the palate has a lively skip in its step, featuring bags of juicy raspberry and cassis-laced fruit and a refreshing line, supported by ripe, plush tannins, finishing long and graceful."
- Item #: i_248310Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Vinous Media: 95+ANTONIO GALLONI 95+ POINTS - "A remarkable wine for the year, the 2017 Opus One is a dense, full-throttle beauty. Plush fruit and soft, silky contours give the 2017 its racy personality. Exotic, beautifully perfumed and impeccable in its balance, Opus One is one of the most complete wines of the vintage. In 2017, Opus One has a distinctly red-toned fruit profile that distinguishes it from the surrounding vintages."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "Opus One had picked 91% of their fruit before the fires started in 2017, and only two lots were eliminated from consideration. The 2017 Opus One, bottled in July 2019, is a blend of 81% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8.5% Petit Verdot, 5% Cabernet Franc, 4.5% Merlot and 1% Malbec. Medium to deep garnet-purple colored, it slowly grows on the nose, revealing compelling notes of baked black cherries, mulberries, black raspberries, warm cassis and blackberry pie with nuances of spice cake, yeast extract, tapenade, licorice and dusty soil with a waft of wild sage. Medium-bodied, the palate has a lively skip in its step, featuring bags of juicy raspberry and cassis-laced fruit and a refreshing line, supported by ripe, plush tannins, finishing long and graceful."
- Item #: i_248190Bottle Size: 750mlOvid Vineyards is one of the true new "cult kids on the street". Ovid's vineyards are located in the Vaca Mountains, on the eastern side of the Napa Valley. More specifically, the property is located in the area locals call "Pritchard Hill", which is were other notable producers reside, such as Chappellet, Continuum, David Arthur, Nine Suns, and Bryant Family The vineyards are meticulously maintained by David Abreu, and the wines are made by Austin Petersen.
Staying within their own four walls, it can be easy to assume that everything Ovid does is dialed in - as good as it can be. So they strive to always keep their perspective fresh and their minds open. This experiment is a first for Ovid in that they purchased the fruit from a neighboring vineyard. But Ovid didn't just buy it - they walked their rows, observing differences in clones, row orientation, sun exposure and aspect throughout the growing season, working to see what Ovid can lean from different approaches to growing grapes in the same neighborhood.
The result - 2017 Experiment N2.7 - is our second vintage from this series. Primarily Cabernet Sauvignon with small, nearly equal amounts of Merlot, Petit Verdot and Cabernet Franc, the wine intrigues with notes of blackberry, cola, cocoa nibs, licorice and pencil shavings. Richness and purity of expression grace the palate in this neighborly adventure that should delight for years to come.
- Item #: i_248580Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 94Ovid Vineyards is one of the true new "cult kids on the street". The vineyards are meticulously maintained by David Abreu, and the wines are made by Austin Peterson. Each year, from small lots of fruit grown in the red rocky soil of Ovid's vineyard on Pritchard Hill, Austin choose just the best barrels and blend them together to create the new vintage of OVID NAPA VALLEY. The vineyard’s evolution fascinates with each succeeding vintage, new dimensions of the wines are revealed. OVID is a blend of the four Bordeaux varietals grown on their property on Pritchard Hill: Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot and Petit Verdot, varying in proportion from year to year but always eloquently conveying this special place.
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Hexameter, Ovid's Cabernet Franc-based blend, is bright and focused, with tons of Franc character in its aromatic and flavor profiles and weight. Sweet red cherry, mint, white pepper, blood orange and flowers give the 2017 striking top notes and energy. Medium in body and finely cut, the Hexameter speaks with a very distinctive voice. The 2017 is super-precise, but it is also a touch light. It will be interesting to see if it fleshes out a bit more with aging. The 2017 is a wine of extreme and total finesse."
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Hexameter checks in as 47% Cabernet Franc, 41% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 12% Merlot that was brought up in 60% new French oak. It has a terrific, spicy, complex style in its black raspberry and cassis fruits as well as notes of toasted bread, flowery incense, spice, and crushed flowers. Full-bodied, rich, and beautifully concentrated, it shows nicely integrated acidity, building tannins, and a great finish."
- Item #: i_248050Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 95ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "The 2017 Ovid is rich, ample and seductive. Layers of dark Cabernet fruit wrap around the palate in a fleshy, racy Pritchard Hill wine loaded with character. Black cherry, blueberry, lavender, mint, espresso and sweet spice build as this racy, sumptuous wine gains volume with air. The 2017 is powerful, but it also retains terrific energy while showing the more vibrant style favored at Ovid these days. I can't wait to see how it ages."
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "Deeper colored, the 2017 Proprietary Red Wine is based on 73% Cabernet Sauvignon, 22% Cabernet Franc, 3% Merlot, and the rest Petit Verdot that saw the same 60% new French oak for 21 months. It offers an incredibly classic, classy style as well as notes of black raspberries, cassis, jammy raspberries, toasted bread, dried flowers, and tobacco. Rich, full-bodied, concentrated, and structured, it's another elegant, seamless wine that's going to benefit from short-term cellaring and keep for 20-25 years or more."
- Item #: i_248010Bottle Size: 750mlOvid Vineyards is one of the true new "cult kids on the street". Ovid's vineyards are located in the Vaca Mountains, on the eastern side of the Napa Valley. More specifically, the property is located in the area locals call "Pritchard Hill", which is were other notable producers reside, such as Chappellet, Continuum, David Arthur, Nine Suns, and Bryant Family The vineyards are meticulously maintained by David Abreu, and the wines are made by Austin Petersen.
As Ovid has continued their exploration of the vast diversity that California has to offer, Ovid is increasingly drawn to the cooler climates. These wines offer vibrancy, freshness and clean delineation that engage both curiosity and palate. In this pursuit, Ovid has ventured to the far northern tip of Mendocino County — a wild and ruggedly beautiful place. It is from this verdant region that they found the newest contributors to the blend: Marsanne and Picpoul Blanc, varieties that bring sonorous white floral aromatics, lemon zest and vivacity.
A blend of Sauvignon Blanc, Brenache Blanc, Albarino, Roussanne, Picpoul Blanc, Viognier, Vermentino, and Marsanne, these new elements add lift to the chorus of guava, cassis bud, pear, white peach, rosemary and brioche. Rich and lively on the palate, this wine is a graceful expression of imagination set free.
- Item #: i_249190Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98Vinous Media: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 98 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 98+ POINTS - "What can be considered the flagship of the estate, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon is a sensational Cabernet Sauvignon that can stand up the best out there. Incredibly pure notes of cassis, spice box, graphite, lead pencil shavings, and a terrific sense of minerality all flow from this pure Paso Robles beauty that shows the quality that can be achieved from these magical limestone soils. Full-bodied and powerful, yet seamless and balanced, enjoy bottles over the coming 15-20 years or more."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "The 2016 Patrimony is made of 100% Cabernet Sauvignon and aged 30 months in 100% new French oak. It has a deep purple-black color and explosive, unbelievably layered nose of lilacs, violets, vanilla, espresso, rooibos tea leaves, underbrush and cinnamon stick aromas mingling over a core of blueberry compote, blackberry pie, black cherry preserves and pure blackcurrant fruit with an undercurrent of iron and graphite. The medium to full-bodied palate gives up stunningly explosive flavor layers. It has an unbelievably ripe, pixelated frame and fantastic juiciness, finishing very long, lifted and layered. This is stunning."
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 97 POINTS - "Bright purple. Sexy, expansive aromas of dark berry preserves, cherry-cola, cured tobacco, smoky oak and vanilla are complemented by exotic spice and floral topnotes. Smooth, broad, alluringly sweet cassis, cherry and floral pastille flavors show outstanding depth and energy, with a suave spicecake note emerging with aeration. The cherry and floral notes resonate on a wonderfully long, seamless finish that features youthful tannins and lingering spiciness. (aged in new French oak barrels for 30 months)"
- Item #: i_230585Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Advocate: 98+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 98+ POINTS - "Inky purple-black in color, the 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon Beckstoffer Las Piedras Vineyard gives up notes of blueberry compote, preserved plums and ripe blackberries with touches of incense, dried Mediterranean herbs, menthol and aniseed plus a waft of mossy bark. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is very fine and wonderfully elegant, with incredibly ripe, silt-like tannins and just enough freshness to support the black and blue fruit layers, finishing on a lingering exotic spice note. This beauty should age very well indeed. 353 cases were made."
- Item #: i_230800Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Advocate: 98ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "Deep purple-black in color, the 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon Beckstoffer To Kalon Vineyard opens with seducing notes of crushed black currants, blueberry compote and dried mulberries with hints of spice cake, sandalwood, dried roses and star anise plus a touch of smoked meats. Full-bodied, rich, ripe and densely packed, the opulent fruit is superbly framed by velvety tannins and just enough freshness, finishing with lingering spice layers. 758 cases were made."
- Item #: i_230430Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "Deep purple-black in color, the 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon Beckstoffer To Kalon Vineyard opens with seducing notes of crushed black currants, blueberry compote and dried mulberries with hints of spice cake, sandalwood, dried roses and star anise plus a touch of smoked meats. Full-bodied, rich, ripe and densely packed, the opulent fruit is superbly framed by velvety tannins and just enough freshness, finishing with lingering spice layers. 758 cases were made."
- Item #: i_230590Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95+ POINTS - "Medium to deep garnet-purple in color, the 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Beckstoffer Las Piedras Vineyard is a little closed to begin, offering subtle notes of crushed blackberries, kirsch, wild blueberries and mulberries with wafts of lavender, lilacs, tilled soil and cedar chest. Medium to full-bodied, the palate has bags of energy and freshness, filling the palate with crunchy red and black fruits and ripe, grainy tannins, finishing on a floral note. 307 cases made."
- Item #: i_230440Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsANTONIO GALLONI 95 POINTS - "The 2017 Pinot Noir Goldrock Estate is even more impressive from bottle than it was from barrel. Gravel, graphite, smoke, leather, and whole range of dark fruit notes give the Goldrock Estate a decidedly somber feel that pairs well with its brooding structure. A Pinot of gravitas and power, the Goldrock needs time to fully come together, but it is super impressive today."
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "Another Sonoma Coast release, the 2017 Pinot Noir Goldrock Estate saw a touch of stems as well as the standard 45-55% new barrels. Its ruby/purple hue gives way to notes of Caramelized black raspberries, candied cherries, crushed flowers, and exotic spices. Rich, powerful, medium to full-bodied, and nicely structured, it's a big, mouthfilling 2017 that does everything right."
- Item #: i_244790Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95+Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "A great California success story, Polish immigrant Paul Lato started as a cellar hand in a Santa Maria co-op/custom crush and has worked his way up to being one of the leading producers of artisanal, world class wines in California today. Lato fashions a bevy of wines (I would normally say too many, yet given the quality he's able to achieve, the more the merrier) including Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, and Syrah. These aren't lightweight wines, yet they never lose their sense of balance and elegance. I always describe the wines as having a slightly Old World style, but with one foot planted firmly in California. As I hope the reviews show, his 2018s are incredible wines across the board."
"Another Sta. Rita Hills release (I think this is the first vintage for this cuvee), the 2018 Victor Francis Peake Ranch Vineyard has a pure, nicely concentrated, full-bodied style with good complexity in its spiced cherry and blackberry fruits, chocolate, leafy herbs, and forest floor aromas and flavors. I love the overall richness and texture here, and it's one of the more meaty, powerful wines in the lineup."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95+ POINTS - "This is a new wine from Paul Lato, named after his son. Medium ruby-purple, the 2018 Pinot Noir Victor Francis Peake Ranch Vineyard is delicately styled with aromas of rosewater, saline, lavender, crushed raspberries and strawberries, with an undercurrent of fragrant earth. Medium-bodied, it's concentrated, broody and firm with seamless freshness and a long, perfumed finish. This has what it needs to age well in bottle, and I'd give it another two or three years in the cellar. 185 cases were made."
- Item #: i_249260Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Vinous Media: 96ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "These new releases are Penfolds' foray into Napa Valley, a project I had been hearing about for some time. I recently sat down with Chief Winemaker Peter Gago to taste the new 2018s, virtually of course. These four wines are part of a larger plan that includes the addition of single vineyard bottlings in the future. Penfolds is no stranger to the United States. For a period of time starting in the late 1980s Penfolds was a part-owner of Geyser Peak. In 1997, Penfolds acquired land outside Paso Robles and subsequently planted vineyards in 1998 and 1999."
"The 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Bin 149 is a blend of fruit from Rutherford, Calistoga and Oakville plus 15% South Australia Cabernet. Inky, deep and unctuous, the 2018 is a total knock-out. Although quite opulent and rich in feel, the 2018 also has tons of backing structure to balance things out. All the elements come together effortlessly. It was aged in 100% new oak, 80% French and 20% America"
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "A good portion, 85.1%, of this 'Wine of the World' comes from America. In fact, the American component all comes from Napa. 'There are some great vineyards going in here,' Peter Gago informed me. 'We are buying some fruit for this, but most of it comes off our own vineyards.' By 'own vineyards,' Gago refers to the considerable land holdings of Treasury Wine Estates, which now owns such iconic Napa names such as Beringer, Sterling Vineyards and Stags' Leap Winery. The major component of this component, 28%, comes from Rutherford, with the other components 'cherry picked' from across the Napa region. So, that is the American wine part of this wine.
"The remaining 14.9% of this wine is from Australia—A1 grade Aussie Cabernet Sauvignon from South Australia, to be precise.
"Then the wine was fermented in barrel, like Grange, using 80% American oak and 20% French oak, 100% new. It was matured in the oak for 16 months.
"Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Bin 149 slips gracefully out of the glass with notions of wild blueberries, blackcurrant cordial and mulberries with an undercurrent of Indian spices, sandalwood, cigar box and dusty soil plus a touch of garrigue. Full-bodied, rich and decadently played in the mouth, it has firm, rounded tannins and bold freshness supporting the voluptuous layers, finishing long and spicy. The adaption of some of the Grange 'formula' (for want of a better term) of winemaking seems to lend more of an Australian style to this wine, although there is no mistaking the Napa Cabernet fruit profile in all but the texture of the tannins, which are more typical of Australia. It's a true chimera! 1,393 cases were made."
- Item #: i_249270Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91Vinous Media: 93ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "These new releases are Penfolds' foray into Napa Valley, a project I had been hearing about for some time. I recently sat down with Chief Winemaker Peter Gago to taste the new 2018s, virtually of course. These four wines are part of a larger plan that includes the addition of single vineyard bottlings in the future. Penfolds is no stranger to the United States. For a period of time starting in the late 1980s Penfolds was a part-owner of Geyser Peak. In 1997, Penfolds acquired land outside Paso Robles and subsequently planted vineyards in 1998 and 1999."
"The 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Bin 704 is rich and effusive, with all of the personality of the vintage on display. Sweet spice, mocha, dark raspberry jam, licorice and leather all take shape in the glass. Medium in body, with bright acids, the 2018 will drink well with minimal cellaring. It is another super attractive wine in this new lineup from Penfolds, but it is also a bit tight and in need of a few years in bottle."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - " 'A hemispherical mirror image of Bin 407,' Penfolds's chief winemaker, Peter Gago, said with a smile. It was only then that I got that 704 is 407 backwards. 'We are able to access vineyards in Napa that others can’t access,' he went on to say, referencing Treasury Wine Estates' considerable landholdings in this region. Beringer, Sterling Vineyards, Stags' Leap Winery, Beaulieu Vineyards, etc. 'We have sensitively used small amounts from our top vineyards—requested rows in the Burgundian model.'
"Made from 100% Cabernet Sauvignon, the 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Bin 704 was aged mainly in French oak, 40% new, for 16 months. Deep garnet-purple colored, it leaps from the glass with vibrant Morello cherries, crushed black and red currants and boysenberries scents, followed by touches of cedar chest, menthol, dried roses and black olives. Medium to full-bodied, the palate has an approachable, grainy texture and a lively line lifting the black berry flavors on the bright, pure finish.
- Item #: i_242080Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95+ POINTS - "A blend of 62% Cabernet Sauvignon, 18% Cabernet Franc, 13% Merlot and 7% Petit Verdot, the very deep purple-black colored 2016 Les Pavots Proprietary Red Wine sings of crushed blackcurrants, blueberry preserves and blackberry pie with hints of camphor, black soil, truffles, crushed rocks and red roses plus a touch of garrigue. Full, rich and with wonderful finesse in the mouth, it has very finely grained tannins and plenty of vivacity, finishing long and earthy. 3,700 cases produced, to be released in the spring of 2019."
- Item #: i_242070Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 95ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "Composed of 62% Cabernet Sauvignon, 22% Cabernet Franc, 10% Merlot and 6% Petit Verdot, the 2017 Les Pavots comes from Knights Valley AVA. Deep garnet-purple in color, it leaps from the glass with vivacious notes of crushed black berries, Black Forest cake, blueberry compote and blackcurrant cordial with touches of camphor, lavender, tapenade and cigar box plus hints of mocha and pencil lead. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is packed with muscular black fruits, framed by firm grainy tannins and just enough freshness, finishing long and savory. 2,050 cases were made."
- Item #: i_242060Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "Located in Knights Valley, Sonoma, the Les Pavots vineyard is located in the oldest of the estate-owned sites, planted in 1989. It is situated at 1,000-1,400 feet and is quite steep in areas. Composed of 68% Cabernet Sauvignon, 19% Cabernet Franc, 10% Merlot and 3% Petit Verdot, the 2018 Les Pavots is medium to deep garnet-purple in color. It needs a fair bit of coaxing to unlock the intense scents of blackcurrant preserves, ripe black plums and boysenberries with touches of wild sage, tobacco leaf and pencil shavings. The full-bodied palate is densely packed and tightly wound with loads of black fruits, dried herbs and earthy layers, supported by firm, grainy tannins and bold freshness, finishing long and energetic. 3,255 cases were made."
- Item #: i_277084Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97-98ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97-98 POINTS - "An eastern-facing slope on white, dusty soil, this vineyard is the latest of the Peter Michael Chardonnay vineyards to ripen each year. The site is planted mainly to Old Wente and See clone selections with a little Rued clone. Planted in 1990, these are the oldest vines on the estate. A tank sample due to be bottled within the next couple of days, the 2019 Chardonnay Belle Cote's nose needs a little coaxing to reveal elegantly expressed scents of lemon curd, lime leaves and Bosc pears plus suggestions of baker's yeast, toasted almonds and crushed rocks. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is beautifully poised if a little youthfully closed, revealing glimpses at loads of citrus, savory and mineral nuances with a racy line and creamy texture, finishing on a lingering zesty note. 2,396 cases were made."
- Item #: i_241790Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96-97ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96-97 POINTS - "La Carriere is situated at an elevation of around 1,200-1,700 feet with a rocky, shallow, volcanic soil that gives low fertility and is among the lowest yields of all the Peter Michael vineyards. The vineyard is planted to Dijon and Hyde (Old Wente) clone selections. A tank sample due to be bottled in the next day or so, the 2019 Chardonnay la Carriere reveals delicate scents of fresh green apples, white peaches and preserved lemons with hints of chalk dust, orange blossoms and coriander seed. Medium to full-bodied, the palate delivers a satiny texture with bags of freshness lifting the mineral-tinged citrus flavors to a long finish. 2,836 cases were made."
- Item #: i_251330Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Pine Ridge has long been one of the cornerstones of Napa Valley's Stag's Leap District. Utilizing the deft hand of winemaker Michael Beaulac, their wines have gone from fantastic to incredible! With the winery's commitment to quality and innovation, a vision emerged in 2003 to produce a wine that would embody the absolute best their estate vineyards have to offer. By carefully constructing a tête de cuvee from those vineyard blocks that emerge as standouts from the vintage, regardless of appellation, Pine Ridge has created an ultra-reserve Cabernet, dictated only by the philosophy of "simply the best."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The deep garnet-purple 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Fortis is scented of menthol with sautéed herbs and iodine over a core of baked blackcurrants and black plums plus scorched earth, tar, pepper and cedar suggestions. Medium to full-bodied, it's chewy and firm in the mouth with a good core of fruit but is still youthful and needs time."
- Item #: i_248880Bottle Size: 750mlPlumpjack's 2018 Syrah was grown in the cooler Carneros region of the Napa Valley. This cooler climate lends this wine its defining characteristics. The nose is packed with spices and white pepper, plum, blackberry, blueberry, and red cherry, and underneath, there is a suggestion of grilled meats. The flavors on the pallet are plum, berries, spices, and peppercorn with blueberries and cocoa lingering on the finish. The palate is full and rounded with firm tannin and a beautiful acid providing the backbone and length.
- Item #: i_350218Bottle Size: 750MLROBERT PARKER 97+ POINTS: "Possibly the youngest wine of all the 2005 Medocs in terms of its evolution, at age 10 the inky purple 2005 Pontet-Canet tastes more like a two-year-old wine. Loads of pure blueberry, blackberry and cassis fruit are present along with a hint of licorice and background oak. It is full-bodied, ripe, and excruciatingly fresh, vigorous and exuberant. This is a tour de force, and a sensational effort that rivals the first growths. Give it another 5-10 years of cellaring, and drink it over the following 30-40 years."
WINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS: "Black in color, with aromas of blackberry, black licorice, tar, mineral and fresh flowers. Full-bodied and powerful, with ultrafine tannins that last for minutes on the palate. A polished, thought-provoking wine. Shows wonderful purity of Cabernet Sauvignon. Best after 2014. 20,830 cases made." –JS
- Item #: i_249950Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95+ POINTS - "Portfolio was founded in 1998 by Genevieve and Luc Janssens. Genevieve is, of course, famous in Napa Valley for her time as the chief winemaker at Robert Mondavi winery. And so, Genevieve is the winemaking side of this collaboration while her husband, Luc, a professional artist, is the creative hand behind the label. This is a tiny project, producing less than 250 cases each year. The Cabernet Sauvignon backbone of the wine is sourced from a single block of Hendry Ranch vineyard—block 8. The small proportion of Cabernet Franc comes from Detert East vineyard in Oakville. The wine is made at the couple’s home, and everything is as hands-on as winemaking can get—no pump from crushing to bottle, no fining, no filtration, all gravity fed (via a forklift). Everything is hand destemmed, dry ice is used for temperature control, and the grapes are pressed using a simple basket press. Bottling is performed by hand. The finished product just goes to show how much purity, vineyard expression and poise can be achieved even with the most basic equipment...when a highly knowledgeable and experienced winemaker is involved."
"Composed of 85% Cabernet Sauvignon and 15% Cabernet Franc, the 2015 Limited Edition Cabernet Sauvignon was aged for 32 months in 100% new French oak. Deep garnet-purple colored, it comes rolling out of the glass with a beautiful perfume of red roses, violets and kirsch—lilacs and licorice—over a core of black raspberries, chocolate box, menthol and tilled soil. Full-bodied, firm and sporting a very finely grained texture with bold freshness and bags of crunchy fruit, it finishes long and multilayered."
- Item #: i_249960Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "This tilts more toward the Cabernet Franc side of the ledger than Cabernet Sauvignon, offering a mix of steeped plum, cassis and tobacco leaf notes, along with hints of smoldering alder and warm loam. Delivers heft, but shows the cut and definition for balance. Grippy, but without the vintage's rusticity. Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc. Best from 2022 through 2032. 200 cases made."
- Item #: i_251890Bottle Size: 750mlWith its blackberry, mulberry, Nicoise olive, cured meat, truffle and white pepper notes, popping the cork on this wine is like enjoying a charcuterie plate. Thee mouthfeel is pure pleasure with fully-integrated supple tannins coating the palate with velvety richness but no chalky grip. Building flavor and texture in our Syrah is all about layering.
- Item #: i_249380Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98Vinous Media: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 98While on our annual winter trip to the Napa Valley in 2013, we were invited to the "kick off" for a new winery named Pulido-Walker; they produced what was the single best wine we had on our entire trip! Mark Pulido and Donna Walker are dedicated to the perfection of every element needed to craft exceptional single-vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon. Their winemaker who helps them in this venture is the highly sought-after Thomas Brown, who also crafts the high scoring wines at Schrader, Maybach, and Outpost. Thomas has received numerous 100-point scores from both Wine Advocate and Wine Spectator! This bottling comes from the Melanson Vineyard, a property nestled between boulders clinging stubbornly to the steep slopes of Pritchard Hill, east of Oakville, and among some of the most notable vineyards in the Napa Valley, such as Colgin.
JEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS - "From a site in the same area as Colgin and vines planted in 1998, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Melanson Vineyard offers a rocking bouquet of chocolaty black and blue fruits, truffle, charcoal embers, and earthy nuances. This full-bodied beauty has a ripe, layered, seamless texture and is perfectly balanced. It's another gem from the genius of Thomas Rivers Brown. It's also worth pointing out that the farm at this site, which has lagged in the past, is now being handled by Josh Clark, who handles the farming for Outpost and Mending Wall."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "Produced from 100% Cabernet Sauvignon coming from Melanson Vineyard on Pritchard Hill, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Melanson Vineyard offers a deep garnet-purple color and delicate, slightly subdued black cherries and wild sage notions to begin, soon unfurling to show its multilayered glory: cassis, kirsch, lilacs and warm plums over forest floor, truffles, grilled meats and marmite toast nuances plus a hint of cardamom. Medium to full-bodied, solidly built and beautifully taut, it is packed with layered nuances and textured by superbly ripe, fine-grained tannins, finishing with great length with an invigorating lift. 210 cases were produced."
ANTONIO GALLONI 97 POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Melanson Vineyard is extraordinary, and perhaps the best wine I have tasted from Pulido-Walker so far. In 2016, the Melanson is remarkably polished and delineated, with tremendous class and exceptional balance. Red and purplish berry fruit and floral notes open up in the glass, but it is the wine's exceptional polish that leaves the deepest impression. Quite frankly, the 2016 redefines what might be possible here. All of the Cabernets I tasted from Melanson this year show notable improvement now that Josh Clark is overseeing the farming, but none is more compelling than Pulido-Walker's wine."